Rifle Sport

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longnokr

Reaction score
Does anyone have the Rifle SPORT windshield in clear or smoke? I have the full size one which works quite well on trips or in the winter but would like something a little smaller for summer

I had one, so I can offer my opinion. In general, it worked well. My only complaint was that even at full up, there was turbulence right at the top of my helmet. No buffeting, just a lot of noise which gets really annoying after hours at highway speeds, even with earplugs. It needed to be maybe 1/2-1 inch taller. I am about 5'10", so it would probably be perfect for someone a bit shorter than that. I sold it to a woman off this sight a few months ago. Perhaps she will offer her opinion.

Hi guys! I'm the buyer of that shield that Tim's talking about! It's a +2+2 Rifle Sport. It does offer more protection, of course. I am definitely going to try "tuning" the shield back towards me, though. Things that I've noticed... even without putting the shield up I'm getting the pressure on the back business. It's not severe but the least bit I raise it increases the pressure. I've also noticed that on occasion I've experienced some strange turbulence. The sensation is akin to riding down the road on pavement with a seam & you are riding on the seam. You know that weird drifty feeling? I'm assuming that this baby will be off the bike in another month or so, anyway & I'll be putting the stocker back on. I like the wind. Next year I am without a doubt, tuning it & trying it like that.

Oh, one other thing that I've noticed & this may also be corrected by tuning... the air flow has definitely changed & comes around the sides & is directed at my back (like I've said) & causing a small amount of air to peek in the rear of my jacket. I've tried cinching the sides of my jacket tighter... which has helped some but doesn't completely alleviate the problem.

Like I said... I'm going to try tuning it. I believe this will cause quite a bit of difference in the air flow after seeing the difference a couple of inches in height & width make. No pun intended. That wasn't meant to sound... sexual!

Hahaha!, Heidi

Edited to add: My height... I'm 5'-8". At full tilt I look through this shield... so, it's plenty tall enough. If I can fix that strange turbulence all would be good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a Rifle touring shield without a tuning block for most of my riding. I ordered it in smoke for appearance but will change to clear next year for night riding. I am 6'0" and still get a some wind noise unless I crouch down about an inch or so. I have installed MCL +6 risers that make you sit up a bit more upright than the stock configuration (something to consider).

Thanks, that's what I thought since my Rifle Tourer is only about an inch higher and wider....so Toynut how does the tinted option look on there? Can you post a pic? I was wondering how they did at night but I'm usually looking over the shield.

Hey Heidi, I read somewhere cutting a hole or putting a vent in the lower center of a shield will help eliminate the back pressure and wobble you're feeling (unless you are running Avons). I tried it on my old rifle and it really works!!

I can't see that the sport's slightly smaller dimensions would make that much diff. I'd probably go back to the stock to go smaller. I have the sport w/ the tuning block and to minimize the turbulence, keep it in the down position pretty much all the time (except rain). I'm about 6 feet and wear a Bell M4 fullface. I also have the MCLarry 6 degree risers.

I tend to look over the shield at night, too. But after having been caught one night on a long highway trip in the driving rain, I found myself quickly disappointed at having to put up with a miserably cold and wet ride with plenty of wind noise to boot, just to be able see over the lowered screen.

No thanks, I would rather have a crystal clear screen from now on.

Longnoker, I keep my bikes in storage at my warehouse, I will try to shoot and post a couple of pics tomorrow.

OK longnokr,

Here are some pics of the smoke Rifle touring windscrren on my FJR. Sorry about the lack of a nice outdoor side view. It's cold and salty in dear old Michigan this time of year. I have the screen raised in some of the pics.

I do notice that with my MCL +6 degree bar risers installed, I get just a touch of interference with the control levers when the bars are at full lock and the screen is down all the way.

Again, this screen would serve my purposes better if it was clear for night riding.

I also found that I couldn't use the tuning block because it effectively lowers the screen height by about 1 1/2 to 2 inches, which just adds to the wind noise.

YRMV :D

FJRshieldpics003.jpg

FJRshieldpics004.jpg

FJRshieldpics001.jpg