Right saddlebag flies off. WTF

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is a good source for that bolt? Marine store or something to that effect?
Your nearest hardware store should have 'em. I think they're called spring clip hitch pins or something like that.

I drilled the hole the same size as the clip (1/4"). That way, they don't rattle, as the rubber holds them, but the fit is critical so there's a trade-off.

Make sure to have the bags in a consistent spot before drilling (I went with all the way downward and centered in the upper slots), so it's easy to locate the holes when they go back on.

Got mine at McMaster-Carr in stainless steel. Think they were right around $5.00 apice in 1/4" dia. If you go on to their website type the P/N: 98480A009 in the search bar. I clicked on the round retainer with tab, scroll down to the highlighted item and there you have it. Bota boom bota bing. McMaster-Carr Hope this helped. PM. <>< ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I went back and reread what I wrote yesterday and if I offended anyone, then I rest my case.
In other words, no apology is due and none is offered.
Nice. Thanks for sharing. But a simple "**** You Everybody" would have been much easier.
What's the matter, Sweetheart? LOL.

I like this. Toecutter makes a well hailed locking device to keep his bags from falling off; I suppose the reason he made that is because of the excellent design of the FJR mechanism. Others post how it happened to them, basically distilled to this: The mechanism is fussy, which agrees with my observations. I recall zero bag-falling-off incidents with the Aprilia Futura in six years of ownership.

Thanks for listening. Gotta go now and make sure my bike's bags are properly installed.

Got mine at McMaster-Carr in stainless steel. Think they were right around $5.00 apice in 1/4" dia. If you go on to their website type the P/N: 98480A009 in the search bar. I clicked on the round retainer with tab, scroll down to the highlighted item and there you have it. Bota boom bota bing. McMaster-Carr Hope this helped. PM. <>< ;)
Pain, Thanks for the web site. I just ordered a set of those pins.

Toecutter makes a well hailed locking device to keep his bags from falling off; I suppose the reason he made that is because of the excellent design of the FJR mechanism.
Just to set the record straight, the reason I clipped my bag mounts was to prevent them from falling off due to the lock mechanism screws having a reputation for backing out because the dealers were not assembling them properly (with loctite). It wasn't my idea, I got it from the old board (gold room) and posted it here to bring it along to the FJRForum.

Pain, Thanks for the web site. I just ordered a set of those pins.
No problem Nightshift. Just one thing when you go to drill the hole for the pin, make sure the pin is able to clear the top horizontal cast portion under the rubber piece that covers it. Careful marking before drilling that puts the pin as close to the underside of the top cast piece as possible will give the bag that much more of a secure fit with no to little play. And thanks Toe for bringing over the good idea to help secure our bags. And Skyway had the idea of obtaining the parts from McMaster-Carr as they have alot more useful goodies on their site for our bikes and workshop. PM. <>< ;)

The only way my bag(s) will come off unexpectedly is by direct impact with a foreign object.
Great idea. I was already thinking about something like this but more for the added security/theft prevention of the whole bag itself.

What a wonderful thread. I want to thank everybody who has participated. Before reading this, I was 100% happy about my side bags. Now, I realize that I have been tooling around the hiways and byways, like a complete idiot, in total ignorance that the damn things were just waiting for a chance to jump off and ruin the rest of my life. To keep this from happening, now I gotta spend ten bucks on some fucking overpriced pins and hope I can drill some straight sonofabitchin holes through the bottom mounts, because if I don't do this thing, I might as well get it over with and commit suicide now, for I'll never be able to sleep or ride my bike again, due to incessant worry.

To quote SkooterG: "**** You Everybody".

Oh, well.

Hmmm... My '07 doesn't have any rubber pieces. The bags just rattle against the frame. Was thinkin' I needed to provide a solution but maybe the dealer missed something! I also find my handles very hard to lift to disengage from the bike. Have they changed something to make it less likely to come loose?

Oh, and JRO, thanx for your incredibly valuable contribution! :rolleyes:

Hmmm... My '07 doesn't have any rubber pieces. The bags just rattle against the frame. Was thinkin' I needed to provide a solution but maybe the dealer missed something! I also find my handles very hard to lift to disengage from the bike. Have they changed something to make it less likely to come loose?
There should be rubber bits, they come with the bags and should be dealer fitted (including the clear plastic protectors around the mount points). (I can do photos if you want.)

The tightness is normal, they will ease in time. If you operate the handle with the bag off, you can see the plunger that goes up into the bike's frame. This seats onto a plastic piece glued into the frame hole, this will bed in with time.

I always check mine to make sure the two hooks on top are securely in their slots before I fold the hadle down, then I wiggle the bag one more time to make sure it is secure. Never had a problem even when riding on very rough gravel roads.

Make SURE the BOTTOM retainer is fitted correctly on the tab it slides over, if it isn't it allows the bottom of the bag to flop out and it will come off.

As noted above, if the bag is installed correctly it does not "just come off".

After having had a bag stolen off the bike while parked one evening in San Francisco, I now put a cable across the handles and Givi rack as an added precaution (photo). One benefit is extra security in holding the bags on in the event I installed them incorrectly. BTW, since the bag I lost in SF came off so cleanly, I have to conclude that I did not lock it properly in the first place.

2421253794_37767547ed.jpg

Jb, good idea but really this is just for honest thieves. I use a cable on the bike to secure the bike and sometimes my riding gear and helmet. But if one really wanted they could take the whole bike, cable, etc.

I once knew of a friend of my father's who had their bike parked at DVC college about 100 ft. from the security office. The bike was chained to a light pole with a major lock and chain. He came out of class and the only thing left was a bare frame chained to the pole still locked. He unlocked the chain and left it there with the frame, went over to the security office to make a report and when he came back the frame and chain and lock were nowhere to be found. Guess they were in their van or something watching and finished the job. Go figure. PM. <>< :angry:

I just got an 08 last week and noticed the right bag is losser also. I was looking at the slots on top and thought that there should be some sort of rubber to hold a little tighter. guess I will go back to dealer. Pics would be nice if ya could post some.

Kenny 08A

QUOTE (fjr55 @ Apr 18 2008, 04:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pics would be nice if ya could post some.
Kenny 08A
Some pictures of my '06:

Overview: shows two top holes, also rubber for bottom mount (the rear hole is dirty, the front I've wiped out a bit for the photo):
1_DSCF8525.JPG

Front top mount, no rubber insert, note the drain hole towards the front. You can also see the clear plastic protective surround:
1_DSCF8526.JPG

This shows the long piece of protective clear plastic for where the case top might touch:
1_DSCF8527.JPG

Hope these help.

And, please, no comments about the width of my chicken strip.

Those rubber bits are supposed to be glued in place.

Not all that different than the lock screws that are supposed to be secured with locktite.