Right saddlebag flies off. WTF

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm... My '07 doesn't have any rubber pieces. The bags just rattle against the frame. Was thinkin' I needed to provide a solution but maybe the dealer missed something! I also find my handles very hard to lift to disengage from the bike. Have they changed something to make it less likely to come loose?
Oh, and JRO, thanx for your incredibly valuable contribution! :rolleyes:
There should be rubber bits, they come with the bags and should be dealer fitted (including the clear plastic protectors around the mount points). (I can do photos if you want.)

The tightness is normal, they will ease in time. If you operate the handle with the bag off, you can see the plunger that goes up into the bike's frame. This seats onto a plastic piece glued into the frame hole, this will bed in with time.

Thanks for the pics Mc, but it looks like the top holes dont have any rubber pieces to hold the bag tighter. Were you talking about the lower piece ? I do have that.

Hmmm... My '07 doesn't have any rubber pieces. The bags just rattle against the frame. Was thinkin' I needed to provide a solution but maybe the dealer missed something! I also find my handles very hard to lift to disengage from the bike. Have they changed something to make it less likely to come loose?
Oh, and JRO, thanx for your incredibly valuable contribution! :rolleyes:
There should be rubber bits, they come with the bags and should be dealer fitted (including the clear plastic protectors around the mount points). (I can do photos if you want.)

The tightness is normal, they will ease in time. If you operate the handle with the bag off, you can see the plunger that goes up into the bike's frame. This seats onto a plastic piece glued into the frame hole, this will bed in with time.

Thanks for the pics Mc, but it looks like the top holes dont have any rubber pieces to hold the bag tighter. Were you talking about the lower piece ? I do have that.
Sorry, I didn't make it clear. You are right the top mounting points do not have rubber inserts.

There's the rubber piece glued to the support that the bottom case mount fits round.

There is also a flat piece of rubber glued into the top of the hole that the bag's plunger moves into when you close the carrying handle. You can't normally see this (unless you enjoy grovelling on your back), I only know because one of my bags was almost impossible to fit, the plunger seemed too long, and I prized out this rubber piece.

Sorry, can't lay my hands on it now for a picture, but from memory it's about 1/16 or 1/8 inch thick, and sized to fit snuggly in the frame hole.

I also want to re-fit it, the bag is now slightly loose, though not enough to think it's going to fall off.

Hope that helps.

Sorry, I didn't make it clear. You are right the top mounting points do not have rubber inserts.

There's the rubber piece glued to the support that the bottom case mount fits round.

There is also a flat piece of rubber glued into the top of the hole that the bag's plunger moves into when you close the carrying handle. You can't normally see this (unless you enjoy grovelling on your back), I only know because one of my bags was almost impossible to fit, the plunger seemed too long, and I prized out this rubber piece.

Sorry, can't lay my hands on it now for a picture, but from memory it's about 1/16 or 1/8 inch thick, and sized to fit snuggly in the frame hole.

I also want to re-fit it, the bag is now slightly loose, though not enough to think it's going to fall off.

Hope that helps.

Gotcha now, thanks for the info. I may end up fitting something in the top holes, just to snug it up a little. Also putting in the lower pin to, it can only help.

OOOps did an ad on to the bottom ^^^^^^^^ Heres my reply again :oops:

Gotcha now, thanks for the info. I may end up fitting something in the top holes, just to snug it up a little. Also putting in the lower pin to, it can only help.

I removed the saddle bag and noticed the forward upper notch in the fairing where the saddle bag is hung there are cracks in the two corners, as though pressure from a tip over might make with the weight of the bike resting on the saddlebag. This is turning into a mess. The cracks are only a quarter inch long each. How the heck can I fix this? I don't want to go with fiberglass repair. Is there any alternative short of buying a new saddlebag and fairing?
I had this same issue with one of my side bags outside the 1 year warranty and my Yamaha 5 year extended warranty covered me for a brand new side bag, no questions asked. :clapping: