Riser Debate for Gen-III

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy Kay

Reaction score
I am new to the FJR community and to this forum. I love my new bike but need a little more upright positioning for distance runs. I am looking to get risers in the next month. I have read lots of good stuff about the pro's. I need to hear some of the negatives of each to help me decide which way to go. Please lets hear what you have to say.

Genmar Riser Blocks

#Y203

$89.95

blocks

fixed position

no ball mount

no break extension

MCL (motorcycle larry) Riser Plate

#11/29

$299.95

triple tree clamp replacement

fixed position

ball mount included

no break extension

MV Motorrad Riser Plate

€185.30 ($205+/- USD)

llate

adjustable position

ball mount included

no break extension

Helibars Riser Plate

#HR09079

$249

plate

adjustable position

ball mount not included

break line extension included

**Richsp51 +3 HEL Performance breakline replacement $49.00**

...break line extension included**Richsp51 +3 HEL Performance breakline replacement $49.00**
Whew, right up to the end I was wondering what a break extension was. I'm glad to finally understand at the very end that it's a brake line extension (I can be a pretty slow feller to catch on).
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, all those products have some pretty extensive threads here, just a Google Search away...

You would really need to sit on some bikes that are already set up with these products and decide for yourself. And obviously, what feels right sitting in a parking lot may not feel right at all after 9 or 10 hours in the saddle. Another consideration is your seat. The stock seat allows lots of latitude forward and backward affecting the amount of forward lean. A custom made seat will lock you into the pocket, some risers work better with some seats.

The HeliBar Bridge and the MVMotoradd plate offer the most rise and setback giving you the most upright seating position. Both offer a pivot adjustment allowing the bar angle to flatten and the grips to move farther apart the farther forward they are adjusted.

Are looks important to you? I found the HeliBar Bridge to be somewhat ugly while the GenMar riser blocks are almost unnoticeable. But everything is a compromise.

Lastly, what fits the Gen3 also fits the Gen2. That gives you more options if you wish to look at other bikes for ideas.

I have the MCL riser plate. Works great for me at 5'-10" and I have a short reach. Made a trip last year from Baton Rouge, La. to Glacier National Park and back with no issues. The only negative is that you need to rent the drill jig to easily remove the ignition switch from the stock plate. It's really an easy install.

When I titled it I should have called it 06+ since that's what the part description are.

I did read a lot of the posted threads. With only the rare occurance everyone likes the ones they have. That's why I am looking for drawbacks. The only real complant I remember seeing is tank bag interference.

It is worth noting that tank bag placement, shape and size can be an issue with the stock bar position. A little common sense goes a long way here. Also, folks tend to defend their decision as The Right Decision.

On Dad's '07 we used the HeliBar Bridge with a Laam Custom Seat. Dad was okay with the ugly little brake line extension and the cosmetic changes to the top triple clamp. The effects of old age were making comfort the most important factor. He also quickly made use of the Ram ball mount and moved his Garmin Zumo from the left handlebar to the V of the bars. He loves it and is extremely happy with it.

I preferred the GenMar blocks because the look of my '15 ES was almost as important as my comfort. This is the best looking bike I have ever owned and I wanted to keep it that way within reason. I also like a bit of forward lean sometimes.

I agree w/ RFH... the bike is beautiful w/o risers so don't f--- it up.

I got Genmar risers ($50 used) but they work on all gen2 and gen3.

The issue is the gen 3 has more involved installation. They print it from genmar that you have to remove the 'baskets' from the front of the TT.

Kind of a pain, as I had help @ a tech session, we removed the TT and sawed off the baskets w/ a disc grinder.
uhoh.gif
(scary)

But in the end I have a closer reach, they look clean (OEM), and I love a center mounted GPS (mine is on the steering nut)
punk.gif

I went with the MV. I have spent a few miles on the 2nd generation Helibar bridge. I didn't like the brake line extension of the Helis. Also, for me the Heli was too upright in it's furthest back position. And the MV was cheaper.

So for me, MV looks better, cheaper, easier install that can easily be taken off. All compared to the Heli. And I didn't need the maximum set back of the Heli.

And you shouldn't listen to RFH and any advice he gives. The boy don't know ugly - even after it hit him square in the face. I mean, the fool is concerned about the looks of his putrid '15 FJR! The only way to make that FJR uglier would be to put his wife on it. Word.

I have MV risers and have found they hit the tank when I raise it up. I also have a givi tank lock bag and I hit the horn when I park the bike.

I have MV risers and have found they hit the tank when I raise it up. I also have a givi tank lock bag and I hit the horn when I park the bike.
Depends on how far you need it and have it pulled back.....

I have the MV and have zero issue raising the tank with them in place....

I'm average 5'10, not really long arms, I don't have them pulled back all the way, and they work fine for me.

Easily the best option IMO.....

Moved an original Heli triple clamp from previous '09 to a new [used] '15A. No complaints as it looks good and puts me in a great position with my LAAM seat. All the extra RamBall mounts are an added bonus.

I get the whole function over form thing but IMO the new Heli bridge and MV risers are just fugly...

YMMV

--G

There's an MV on my GORGEOUS 2015.

As was said above, lots and lots of posts about each. Search a little and you'll have three days worth of reading.

WOW. Its amazing how everyone is so quick to say read past threads. I thought I made it clear that I have. Almost everything I read are positives. Break line extenders, tank bag interference, and aesthetics aside. I am looking for the the reasons not to get certain ones. You guys love your add ons. You praise them highly. I think the negatives mean so little in the overall scope of things that you just don't mention them so often. If I am going to drop $100-$300 on an item I really want to know what the drawbacks of the items are. If all 4 items I am asking about are so great that there really is not true drawback to them then I will be a little more apt to throw my money down and run with a new toy.

What you fail to realize is:

1. We all like what we like. If I made the decision to buy it then it must be the best right?

2. All of the good and bad comes up in those past threads. On a subject like this one that has been beaten to death, it is ALL covered there.

3. These are handlebar risers. They are simple, solid, straightforward objects. They ALL work. You pick the one that has the amount of rise and setback that you like. BAM! You're done.

Have you adjusted the position of your bars yet? There are 3 positions you know. What were the drawbacks and negatives of each position? What were the issues you had while performing that task?

I do not wish to make fun of you here, but these are bar risers. It ain't brain science and it ain't rocket surgery...
weirdsmiley.gif
The drawback to EVERY one of these riser systems is that they have to be installed. The bike did not come with them. All the installation issues are outlined and detailed in past threads.

Again, pick the one that has the amount of rise and setback you want. If you find out you do not like it, sell it on this forum for a decent price, take your money and your experience and choose another one.

Oh yeah, one other thing. When you do choose one, resurrect the thread on that particular one and detail the negatives and the drawbacks. Then when some noob comes along and asks this question you can gently point him in the direction of that thread.
smile.png

FWIW, you may want to consider not modifying the original bars. Depending on your height and torso, much of riding comfort is posture. I'm 5'10" tall and 32" inseam. I have had three FJR's. First bike no mod. on bars and felt uncomfortable leaning on the grips. Second bike I had Heli-Risers installed and felt more comfort. During a riding clinic I learned much of the discomfort rider's experience is due to poor riding posture. When I bought my current bike I decided to try it without the risers. I have now ridden it 15K and absolutely no discomfort. Two of the trips have been over 3500 miles each. Most days 8-9 hours riding. At 73 years old I think it says a lot about how you sit on the seat.

As RFH stated, if you are thinking about getting a replacement seat (now there's a thread search topic), do THAT first, play with the stock adjustment on the handlebars, and then re-group on the handlebar riders. My arms are so long that setback never became an issue, even after the Laam seat pushed me back quite a bit (thank you Seth!!!). The 1" H/B riser blocks did make a nice difference in the weight on my hands, though.

Finally, you didn't mention whether or not you have an aftermarket windshield. If you don't, and are thinking of doing so, wait and do that LAST - after the bar riser issue is settled. Depending on how high you end up moving, you may want change your thinking on the W/S. My Cee Bailey sport still cuts the mustard with the bar risers, but it is JUST enough height wise after I put the bar riser on. I really could have gone with the next size up (2" higher), but I like the sportiness of the 19" screen. On the Interstate, at 80 mph on a windy day, I'm good if I raise it all the way up.