Road-holding Weight

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was browsing at a bike dealership this morning- the local H-D guys- and the salesman who approached me, offered me some advice on impoving a bike's handling.

He explained that it's all about friction, and the more downward pressure on you can exert on your tires, the better.

"...Especially when cornering, lighter bikes tend to slide and get squirrely on corners, because there's not enough weight to hold the tire firmly down on the asphalt. That's why a fellow needs a substantial machine if he's planning on doing high-speed runs, especially through corners."

He really made a lot of sense, (he was from Michigan), so I took some notes.

He suggested I carry something heavy in my saddlebags, like jugs of water, and always make sure my tank is full.

So, I'm wondering would it be even better yet, if I always rode with heavily loaded tankbag as well?

And also, would lead be best, or is there something more dense?

Thanks in advance for any advice. You guys are always very helpful.

Oh look, it's Friday!

Last edited by a moderator:
Instead of carrying all that extra weight I just ride in areas where gravity is ~4 times stronger than others. I understand that Yellowstone is heavy destination, as are several places in WV. Everyone says that the Dragon near the Cherohala Skyway is another heavy place to ride. What kind of wear will this put on your tires? Does it affect your oil change interval?

If weight is the key to handleing then I must have the best FJR on the planet. I weighed mine and myself on the way back from WFO in Reno and it was 1050 lbs. :yahoo:

What kind of wear will this put on your tires? Does it affect your oil change interval?
I never even thought about that. Good questions. That's the exciting thing about science. For every question answered, we are presented with 10 more, just as compelling.

And barb, if you can't offer some serious advice, I'd ask you to just not contribute.

Shouldn't you be ironing or something?

:D

Was he for real? Water bottles?, no no! Although downforce is inportant, the extra weight woul actually make the bike handle worse because of the centrifugal force against it in a high speed corner. The fjr is plenty heavy on its own. Ever watch bikes race on a track? they are relatively light.

Or maybe this post was supposed to be funny :yahoo: and I missed it. Wouldn't be the first time humor has flown right over my head, duh :dribble:

I was browsing at a bike dealership this morning- the local H-D guys- and the salesman who approached me, offered me some advice on impoving a bike's handling.
He explained that it's all about friction, and the more downward pressure on you can exert on your tires, the better.

"...Especially when cornering, lighter bikes tend to slide and get squirrely on corners, because there's not enough weight to hold the tire firmly down on the asphalt. That's why a fellow needs a substantial machine if he's planning on doing high-speed runs, especially through corners."

He really made a lot of sense, (he was from Michigan), so I took some notes.

He suggested I carry something heavy in my saddlebags, like jugs of water, and always make sure my tank is full.

So, I'm wondering would it be even better yet, if I always rode with heavily loaded tankbag as well?

And also, would lead be best, or is there something more dense?

Thanks in advance for any advice. You guys are always very helpful.
I think the answer is to install a centrifugal force elimination kit. That is the force that is pulling the bike so hard that the wheels slide out. No cent force, no sliding! I've seen them on ebay all the time.

Lee

OM.....

Between my belly and my nuts......... I think I have the perfect weight distribution......... :eek:

but your mileage my very......... and I was gonna speak on a lower center of gravity... as in the size of

...... ....... Buns / backpacks, some people are carrying...... care to add to

this..................

B.

You should really keep the speed down until you have had a big lunch and have more weight on the bike.

Always ride faster after lunch.

That sounds like Harley Davidson Logic (aka bullshit), which is not to be confused with reality.

You know what they say.

"Fat chicks need lovin too... and they make cornering 2x as good"

Or something like that.

Well, that's the scientific explanation of why Harleys out-handle almost everything else on the road and track except Goldwings. Take the baffles out of their pipes and they'll out-accelerate everything else, too. And did you ever stop to think that if you full face helmet wearing pussies would chuck those silly brain squeezing devices, you might acquire higher IQs too?