Road-holding Weight

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the Harley guy has something there. I just finished welding 2 45-pound Olympic weights to each side of the bike. I'll let you know how it goes.

I think the Harley guy has something there. I just finished welding 2 45-pound Olympic weights to each side of the bike. I'll let you know how it goes.

Just out of curiosity, did you arc, or oxy/acetelene?

I've found that hanging barbell weights on the passenger footpegs works well; you need only make certain that your ty-wrap is rated for the centripetal forces involved. Or yellow, as per OM.

Isn't that why they put steel belts in the tires? Not only weighs them down, but even gets that extra weight as close to the road as possible.

If you are slamming me (the harley guy) I also ride an 04 FJR. I rode the FJR to work today. (how bout you?)

So you can stick your condescending Harley comments up your A$$!

I need an new avatar with the FJR so y'all will get off my A$$. :rolleyes:

Sprung or un-sprung weight?

Weld 'em right to the swingarm so the shock doesn't have to carry the weight!!!!

Replace your forks and brake calipers with cast iron units!

Steel wheels, lined 360 degrees with balance weights!

If you are slamming me (the harley guy) I also ride an 04 FJR. I rode the FJR to work today. (how bout you?)So you can stick your condescending Harley comments up your A$$!

Well, thank you, Slick. We all needed a good reason for a Friday forum tradition. :lol:

You must have awfully thin skin to think anyone was slamming you. Go back and read Old Michael's first post to see that it was some "wisdom" that was imparted to him at a dealership out here in California that everyone was responding to. But now let's introduce you to the [SIZE=14pt]Friday Dogpile[/SIZE]. :evilgrin: :evil: :yahoo:

hehehe

Is it also true (as in your case) that all HD riders rev their unmuffled, underpowered and poor riding phallic symbols BECAUSE the riders are hung like hamsters?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are slamming me (the harley guy) I also ride an 04 FJR. I rode the FJR to work today. (how bout you?)So you can stick your condescending Harley comments up your A$$!

Well, thank you, Slick. We all needed a good reason for a Friday forum tradition. :lol:

You must have awfully thin skin to think anyone was slamming you. Go back and read Old Michael's first post to see that it was some "wisdom" that was imparted to him at a dealership out here in California that everyone was responding to. But now let's introduce you to the [SIZE=14pt]Friday Dogpile[/SIZE]. :evilgrin: :evil: :yahoo:

hehehe

Is it also true (as in your case) that all HD riders rev their unmuffled, underpowered and poor riding phallic symbols BECAUSE the riders are hung like hamsters?

I'm real worried about how you know how Harley handlers are hung... and have you been playing with hamsters again?

I was browsing at a bike dealership this morning- the local H-D guys- and the salesman who approached me, offered me some advice on impoving a bike's handling.
He explained that it's all about friction, and the more downward pressure on you can exert on your tires, the better.

"...Especially when cornering, lighter bikes tend to slide and get squirrely on corners, because there's not enough weight to hold the tire firmly down on the asphalt. That's why a fellow needs a substantial machine if he's planning on doing high-speed runs, especially through corners."

He really made a lot of sense, (he was from Michigan), so I took some notes.

He suggested I carry something heavy in my saddlebags, like jugs of water, and always make sure my tank is full.

So, I'm wondering would it be even better yet, if I always rode with heavily loaded tankbag as well?

And also, would lead be best, or is there something more Dense

Thanks in advance for any advice. You guys are always very helpful.

Well he was from Michigan eh??

Hmm.... Fuker must be Damn awful smart then :D

Lemme help here.. Ya want something "dense" in the bags????..... Ever think of putting your head in em? :unsure:

:jester:

If you are slamming me (the harley guy) I also ride an 04 FJR. I rode the FJR to work today. (how bout you?)
So you can stick your condescending Harley comments up your A$$!

----Whoooo he's on a roll..

----Complete Jackass mode achieved..
Whata dork!!

Doin yer best to rile psycho ward.... Then wondering how to keep 'em from pissin in yer Cheerios..

Damn I love Fridays

Damn...

Maybe that is why i seem to have an unfair advantage over you skinny bastards! Makes complete sense now! :lol:

I hear 'ya on that road holding thing. Sidewinds can totally knock you off the road with as light as these things are.

I find that carrying a giant fan secured to the pillion area (had to have my subframe reinforced) and having it blow opposite the wind....it sorta evens things out.

340x.jpg

And it doesn't add as much as tungsten ballast like them NASCAR boys use.

Hmmmm.......

Spent plutonium?
That's good stuff too. The alpha emissions are easily stopped by a Stich, but if you don't keep it in a fresh ziploc it tends to get all over the place. Stuff's really poisonous and nasty on your thyroid if you take a deposition.

..but then again....you don't need to carry electric clothing if you have a chunk of it in your pockets!

hehehe

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home!

Harley Davidson

The most efficient way to turn gas into noise

without the harmful side effect of horsepower.

I hear 'ya on that road holding thing. Sidewinds can totally knock you off the road with as light as these things are.
I find that carrying a giant fan secured to the pillion area (had to have my subframe reinforced) and having it blow opposite the wind....it sorta evens things out.

340x.jpg

And it doesn't add as much as tungsten ballast like them NASCAR boys use.
Jeebus Cripes!! At least paint that ugly SOB to match yer scoot ya imbecile :lol:

Isn't that why they put steel belts in the tires? Not only weighs them down, but even gets that extra weight as close to the road as possible.
Yep, you're right about that -- low center-of-gravity. C-O-G (whole bike, for that matter...) can't be too low -- the lower the better (everybody knows that). :rolleyes:

And..., w/steel belted radials, if they get a puncture -- you can weld 'em up ( I don't know: arc, or oxy/acetelene?). :unsure:

Jeebus Cripes!! At least paint that ugly SOB to match yer scoot ya imbecile :lol:
I thought about powder coating it, but my Kenmore range isn't big enough. :blink:

I FedExe'd to Garauld last week. He's matching it now....and says it will take 2 quarts. Should look sweet by WFO. ;)

hehehe

Someone finally acknowledged my existence.

I read the first post and I get it. I do have thick skin and guess I am hung like a hamster. (how did u know?) (My wife likes it)

This is the most fun I have had on the forum.

I do get some of my best Harley jokes here.

Slick

I wounder if I can make a set of rims out of Unobtainium to get the weight down low.