Rostra electronic cruise on 2007 FJR1300AE possible??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry 07 FJR1300AE

Reaction score
I have read tons of threads on installing the AVCCS-100 cruise and a few of the new ultra cruise. Just found a thread that said no room for the cruise on an AE model. Most the posts are all old. Anyone acheived this? Any info would be great. Wireing diagram for 2007 AE? ECU pin layout? Any help would be appreciated!!!

Yes it has been done on an FJR! and yes it was successful.

I investigated this and it was my backup plan if I didn't get an AVCC-100 for less than $100. For what people are asking for the AVCC these days is just crazy. It is a seller's market as it has been discontinued but if buyers just did a little research they'd find the Rostra Electronic a much better Cruise for the money. The drawback is that you don't get the reams of knowledge from the installed base.

Refine your search, I know some info is available on here.

Motorcycle-Ed installed one on an AE a couple years ago. clicky

I don't recall seeing any pictures of his install, was looking to do the same thing sometime. Ed is on FJRiders forum on a regular basis, haven't seen him post here as much lately.

Thanks guys for leading me in the right direction. I was searching to narrow. Anyway, I have the control box in its only hiding place. Gonna takle the install this weekend. Ill take pics and keep you posted. Any tricks and hints would be appreciated. I dont have a manual yet, however there is ALOT of info out there. Again thanks.

I talked to Ed about it a while back and he is happy with it.

I didn't get to in-depth with the Electronic install but I suspect that much of the cable attachment and wiring info available for the AVCC would apply.

Good luck with the install, I look forward to seeing your pics!

Jeff

Installed and everything is working great. Gonna install micro push button switches in the right shifter housing and it will be complete. Tested with the control pad and everything worked perfect. Thanks everyone for the help.

Installed and everything is working great. Gonna install micro push button switches in the right shifter housing and it will be complete. Tested with the control pad and everything worked perfect. Thanks everyone for the help.
Hey Barry, I've got an o6 /c with the rostra, I used a magnet pickup with two magnets all switches off except for seven . Unit sits upside down on the right side of my tool tray, throttle cable up right side under cross brace but above heat sheild then cut a small slot in sheild, used two cable clip and nut and bolt to anchor to stock cable and drilled a hole in the stock throttle tab for a nut and bolt as an anchor . real happy with the operation locks on and hold very well. I didn't hook up the tach , don't think I'll need it . Did you use the vss signal ? I couldn't get it to work stright in to the cruise, tried ecm output and abs input.

So Barry, was it pretty much like the CCS100 install? Were there any differences?

So i typed a big reply then the forum shit the bed on me and I lost it. GRRRRRR Anyway, yes the install is much like the CCS100 except no hoses to run. All the wiring is in one place VERY EASY. The throttle hook up is of course the hardest part but it is basicly the same as the CCS100. If you have a GEN II bike the electronic model is the ONLY choice in my book. It works flawless and its a cake walk to install. Just need an extra set of hands. My wife helped me. Dont order the control pad you wont need it. Now I have one sitting on a shelf that needs a home. Get a couple micro switches"water proof" and youll be good to go. I got my switches at radio shack they were 3 bucks "not waterproof" and ended up installing them on the faring. Didnt have enough room in the housing for these. Pic below. The little L bracket at the end of the cable shield is the only thing I had to fab up. Then later found one laying around the shop. Its just a simple L bracket with holes. Pic below. If anyone needs help just ask, or if you are near me feel free to ride over and we can do it in an afternoon if u have all the stuff.

media1.jpg

04-30-10_2109.jpg

More pics

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you use magnetic pickup on the wheel for speed sensor? I understand that the frequency of the VSS signal on the FJR is too high? Anywhere else to get a speed signal or a reliable circuit to divide the pulse rate from the VSS? Looking for a detailed post on installation of the Rostra unit, if such a thing exists for the FJR.

Ross

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you use magnetic pickup on the wheel for speed sensor? I understand that the frequency of the VSS signal on the FJR is too high? Anywhere else to get a speed signal or a reliable circuit to divide the pulse rate from the VSS? Looking for a detailed post on installation of the Rostra unit, if such a thing exists for the FJR.

Ross

None of that is needed on GENII bikes. Here is a clicky from above with a link to Motorcycle ED's install. I followed his instructions and everything came out perfect. If you need any more help with the details let me know. The throttle conection install is very much like the CCS-100 but the rest is SO MUCH EASIER.

These images show the Part# 214377 Vector Remote Switch I plan to use
fjrae 2006 photos
where did u get it?
I recently installed the AVCC (CCS100) in my Gen II. I found these switches also independent of this thread when I was looking for waterproof switches. They have 3 momentary action (pushbutton) switches which I was going to make into accell/coast/and a cancel.

I found several sources for these; one of which is:

https://trailtech.net/switches.html

Retail is $19.95 + shipping, but I'd bet you could find a better deal if you looked; just search " Vector Accessory: Remote Switch". These are an add on for the Vector computer/display and commonly found at offroad/ADV type bike shops.

I don't have mine yet, and I don't have an AE, so not sure I'll have the room to mount like above, but I was thinking of making a mount and putting it sideways above the grip. I'll mount it on the right side, as I'm more used to using it that way. As always, YMMV, IMHO, etc...

Thanks Barry,

A friend just installed a Motorcycle Cruise Control from Australia that costs about 2 1/2 times what the Rostra does and its minimum is listed as 48 mph. I use my car's cc when going through small towns so I can look around more and not be concerned about exceeding the speed limit. I think I'd use it on the FJR in the same way.

John

Thanks Barry,
A friend just installed a Motorcycle Cruise Control from Australia that costs about 2 1/2 times what the Rostra does and its minimum is listed as 48 mph. I use my car's cc when going through small towns so I can look around more and not be concerned about exceeding the speed limit. I think I'd use it on the FJR in the same way.

John
the cruise is great for that just understand that with a very high hp to weight ratio the bike will drift at low speeds. It's hard to maintain 33 mph without opening and closing the trottle. So the cruise has hard time too. It works best at 60 and up.