rubber hitting the road - time to buy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportsguy

searchgeek - author
Reaction score
OK, I went to my local dealer today and had them jot down a price on the 2009 FJR 1300, which is around $13,500. Decent, BUT...

A dealer 20 miles from here has a 2008 model listed at $12,500.

So, the question is this...

What changes happened between 2008 and 2009. No change is too small to call out here, either, as even a small design change on the fairing could help redirect heat, etc., so even a small change could prove noteworthy between model years.

Obviously I'm on the horn in the morning to the dealer 20 miles from here to see if they have stock in at that price. If there's zero difference between model years, the local guys are going to need to drop the price a bunch more to get me to buy with them... or add some items into the deal to equalize the value...

[SIZE=12pt]So, two questions:[/SIZE]

1 - any differences between 2008 and 2009 model years?

2 - is $12500 for a 2008 model a decent price?

Thanks

duane

TC pretty much summed it up. Depending on your location, you might be able to do a little better on the '08...It is a model year old already. Good luck with the purchase.

--G

Edit -- I see you're in the Seattle area. Check out Lynnwood Cycle Barn. They have (had a couple weeks ago) an '08 with under 500 miles on it for $11,500. Bike is clean...really clean. No affiliation etc, etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
The price on the 09 isn't all that great. I got my 09 with 0.0 miles and a 48 month YES warranty for just under $13,100 before Virginia taxes. I could have done better if I bought from D&H but then I would have do a fly and ride which offset most of the savings.

See if you can get them to sell you the 48 month YES warranty and the bike for $13,500. Keep in mind you can get the warranty from any authorized Yamaha dealer (D&H are great to deal with). I think you can also get it within the first year of ownership, so the the 08 escapefjrtist or you mentioned may still be eligible.

Good luck! I love my bike.

Oh yeah, the 09 supposedly has a more sensitive clutch lever or something? Seemed minor.

The price on the 09 isn't all that great. I got my 09 with 0.0 miles and a 48 month YES warranty for just under $13,100 before Virginia taxes. I could have done better if I bought from D&H but then I would have do a fly and ride which offset most of the savings.
See if you can get them to sell you the 48 month YES warranty and the bike for $13,500. Keep in mind you can get the warranty from any authorized Yamaha dealer (D&H are great to deal with). I think you can also get it within the first year of ownership, so the the 08 escapefjrtist or you mentioned may still be eligible.

Good luck! I love my bike.

Oh yeah, the 09 supposedly has a more sensitive clutch lever or something? Seemed minor.

I would also ask what additional charges there are, and get a full OTD price..... what do they charge for admin, PDI, freight, etc., then compare. Take your time, don't be in a hurry.... the answer will come to you.

emblem on the side, and I heard they lessened the pressure for the clutch and the other minor things mentioned above.

BTW: a local dealer(Spokane, WA) has an '08 for $11,800 so you may be able to deal on this vs. an '09.

I don't think there's enough of a difference unless it matters to you. I like the black rims and the new emblem but not if I could get the '08 for a smok'n deal.

Good luck.

I would also ask what additional charges there are, and get a full OTD price..... what do they charge for admin, PDI, freight, etc., then compare. Take your time, don't be in a hurry.... the answer will come to you.
The $13500 is all in EXCEPT state taxes (around 9%, IIRC).

@Gerry - Spokane you say... I might have to take a look at this option. :)

I will also try the approach of keeping the price the same, but getting them to add:

extended warranty

second helmet for my wife ;)

riding pants for me (I need some for the rain, etc.)

IMO, that package would be a good deal for the $13500.

Next up, a call to Cycle Barn to check inventory and 08 leftovers...

...though I will want to check the clutch lever pull on an 08 - I liked the lighter feel of the 09 I test rode - seemed very nice and easy to use, and figire it'd be nice to have a lighter pull in traffic (no, I'm not interested in the clutchless model, sorry).

In Ca our bikes usually have more emission controls than 49 state models so prices run a little higher. I got my 08 for 14 flat OTD in August, and I shopped around. I thought I got a real good deal. Looks like from some of the posted prices a lot of dealers are desperate, but the OTD price is what you want to compare. A lot of dealers are reluctant to give an OTD price because they want to get you in, sit you down, and wear you out till you cave for their deal. I don't buy from any body that won't give me an OTD price. It's amazing how many dealers will just let you walk out, and don't sell bikes because they want to use the old sales methods and can't get used to the new way of selling via the Internet. These type of dealerships are rapidly disappearing in these tough times whether they are trying to sell bikes or cars that way. People are tired of the old methods. The dealers around here that give OTD prices without any BS sell a lot more bikes.

Since you're in the NW, you might give Pro Caliber Motorsports a call. They're in Portland and here in Bend, both

owned by Dick Hannah Auto. Size/Volume is a factor with price. Although perhaps not theee lowest anywhere, I

negotiated what I consider a fair price for a new '08, OTD was $11,500. They tossed in the first fluid change and

their followup was decent(although my sales dude is no longer there). Typical turnover, sadly.

In addition, I informed them I was interested in purch the ex-warranty and had found

a source for $389 (courtesy of the forum). They sounded offended and implied that prices was impossible, I said no problem I've got it covered elsewhere. Funny.. at signing/pickup, the young F&I dude pulls out a revised EW for $389, and says Yamaha "ok'd" this ridiculous number and inquired if I'd still be interested. Told him "no".

In short, any dealership has a little slipperyness, it's part of the game. For an '08, anything between $11-12k is

fair. Used, now that is where the bargains are.

Good luck, don't delay, it's already July next week.

MD

Since you're in the NW, you might give Pro Caliber Motorsports a call. They're in Portland and here in Bend, bothowned by Dick Hannah Auto. Size/Volume is a factor with price. Although perhaps not theee lowest anywhere, I

negotiated what I consider a fair price for a new '08, OTD was $11,500. They tossed in the first fluid change and

their followup was decent(although my sales dude is no longer there). Typical turnover, sadly.

In addition, I informed them I was interested in purch the ex-warranty and had found

a source for $389 (courtesy of the forum). They sounded offended and implied that prices was impossible, I said no problem I've got it covered elsewhere. Funny.. at signing/pickup, the young F&I dude pulls out a revised EW for $389, and says Yamaha "ok'd" this ridiculous number and inquired if I'd still be interested. Told him "no".

In short, any dealership has a little slipperyness, it's part of the game. For an '08, anything between $11-12k is

fair. Used, now that is where the bargains are.

Good luck, don't delay, it's already July next week.

MD
For sure - I did some more test riding today (covered in another thread here), and the FJR is still on the short list.

Please drop me a PM with details on the extended warranty (who to call, which dealer, etc.) - I'll be looking at buying it for sure, and want to keep the price reasonable. ;)

duane