Running bad #2

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You got my vote.....I like inane crap. Looks funny when you spell it...but, it's money.

Having had the privilege of Al's presence grace my abode several times over the years I can say the man had a sense of humor for certain.

He especially enjoyed Two Wheel nut and a few others banter. Loop ears is right though., It wasn't the inane crap but the continued doubt cast by a few on his Oil theory's and health issues.

Al knew his shit regarding oil.....

Just for the doubters who have never experienced this: Water in fuel is a real thing - I've taken too many samples from airplanes where a 15-20 gallon tank would have a whole cup of water come out of the drain 15 minutes after refueling with good ole' 100 octane low lead. Any properly done aircraft preflight check requires checking every tank to make sure you are burning fuel, and not trying to burn water. If you want to have some real fun, pass a slug of water through your airplane engine soon as you get about 15 feet off the ground.

I've had the same issue a couple of times with my '06, as described by several here. Running fine, stop for a while, restart with or without refueling, and she begins running terribly, regardless of temperature or humidity. Like she won't hold idle, running on two cylinders. A quick full twist on the throttle seems to fix the problem. I tend to agree with the electronic gremlin crowd in this particular case.

I have no doubt about water getting into fuel tanks. It happens.

Living in the northeast it also can cause problems when the water freezes. That happened to me on the morning of our planned honeymoon escape (by car to VT ski country) just a few short years ago (35 to be exact). The water trapped in my Mazda RX-3's fuel filter froze solid, which made the car run like crap at anything over about 35 mph. Getting that sorted out at the in-laws house put a couple of unplanned hours delay into the post nuptial festivities.
blushing.gif

What threw me off of the "bad gas" theory was the OP's claim of an immediate issue upon restarting the bike, and never specifying what he meant by immediate. I guess some people's definition of that word must vary. To me immediate means instantly, not 30 seconds or a minute delayed.

Water in fuel, bad gas, these things certainly happen. My worst experience with this is in boats. The humidity is always high around boat docks, the moisture builds up in the tanks. Then consider the remoteness of some of these docks and the potential for contamination gets very high.

What is the criteria for "bad gas"? Is it water contamination? Suspended particles? The aftermath of Lite Beer and Mexican food?

I know it happens. I have seen every Yamaha outboard equipped charter boat at my marina shut down for lack of new fuel filters. But, I have never seen a miracle, immediate fix.

I do have a question for our resident chemists: How does Seafoam make bad gas instantly good gas? Does it absorb water that fast? Does it eliminate suspended dirt particles instantly? Is this a physical or chemical reaction? If it is a chemical reaction is it exothermic or endothermic?

Just askin'

Let me add to RFH's question above....

IF Seafoam does, indeed, "aborb" water in the tank, then what happens to it? Are there chunks of Seafoam/Water floating around in the tank?

Does the Seafoam "beam" the water up to the Enterprise? Does Seafoam turn the water into some combustible product the motor will burn?

I'll accept that Seafoam can, even does, dissolve varnish and fuel by-products deposited in the fuel system, but "absorb" water? Then what happens?

Water is not normally misible in gasoline and will separate. Seafoam is mainly heavy distallate, naptha and IPA. The IPA fraction is hygroscopic and mixes in gasoline. It can promote water to mix in gasoline and be carried through the fuel system as a burnable mixture, rather than a slug of water. It has its limits, but it can work. The rest of it is essentially a diesel-like oil and solvent. I've never been a big fan. Any additive with a high alcohol or glycol content could do the same thing, just be careful. Most IPA sold over the counter is 30% water and won't be very helpful, methanol cold badly damage your fuel system, and glycols are not very flammable and don't vaporize.

Last edited by a moderator:
Redfish com down. Like Terry Hairston bike, mine was very similar to what he describes on his.
I'm not saying that Seafoam is a cure all for what ales our bikes.

And I'm not a 100% sure that I'm out of the woods just yet.

Like Terry,after adding an additive (seafoam) and riding it for 30-45 minutes,it's running good.

I plan to take to my bike mechanic asap,for further evaluation.

If I had to guess Redfish you must be an engineer of some sort?

Have a safe ride all.........
Perish the thought!