Running Rough after sitting in the sun

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My also does this. So it's only CA bikes and the only difference from the others is the charcol canister. Hmmm I can see what next project will be in the future.
Not Cali only bikes. Mine is in the shop right now for same thing. And it doesn't matter if it sets in the sun when parked or not. The shop is scratching their heads as to how to fix it. If I knew it would never stumble in a corner or not start when I was a hundred miles from home I could live with just blurping the throttle on the 1st take off.

Add my bike to this list. It's done it from the time I bought it. After setting in the sun at work I let it warm up a little more and it seems to help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not Cali only bikes. Mine is in the shop right now for same thing. And it doesn't matter if it sets in the sun when parked or not. The shop is scratching their heads as to how to fix it. If I knew it would never stumble in a corner or not start when I was a hundred miles from home I could live with just blurping the throttle on the 1st take off.

Yours sounds a little different. We're talking about ONLY right after startup - say for the first 1/2 mile or first 30 seconds to a minute after starting a bike parked in very hot ambient conditions. Clears itself up, then no more problems at all - once it's clear, you're golden until the next time you leave it parked in the hot. Unless it's >100 degrees F, my bike very, very rarely stumbles at takeoff or has hard starts and does not stumble at all once the initial 30-60 seconds of gargling clears (Except when I had a loose battery cable, but that's another story) - knocking wood now...

Yours sounds a little different. We're talking about ONLY right after startup - say for the first 1/2 mile or first 30 seconds to a minute after starting a bike parked in very hot ambient conditions. Clears itself up, then no more problems at all - once it's clear, you're golden until the next time you leave it parked in the hot. Unless it's >100 degrees F, my bike very, very rarely stumbles at takeoff or has hard starts and does not stumble at all once the initial 30-60 seconds of gargling clears (Except when I had a loose battery cable, but that's another story) - knocking wood now...
I agree your problem is different from ours, mine is doing the same exact thing as RsvlFeej described.

Last edited by a moderator:

I agree your problem is different from ours, mine is doing the same exact thing as RsvlFeej described.
Mine only does it at start up or shortly thereafter,so far. Only concern was that it may get worse. Hate to grab a handfull of throttle and it stumble.

Hey guys,

I have the same problem but it just started right after I changed to iridium plugs. Only thing is, mine has no problem in the afternoon, only at first morning startup. I am also having a problem with my tach reading improperly also in the morning, also for a mile or so. This started after I changed to iridium plugs also. When I am doing 70 mph the tach should read 4000 rpm and it only reads 2000 rpm. I pull the clutch a couple of times while revving a little and it goes away like the sputter. Any help with the tach issue would be appreciated.

Hey guys,
I have the same problem but it just started right after I changed to iridium plugs.

"I had a dog and his name was............BINGO!"

I'd just about bet a buck you've got a loose/bad plug cap connection.

Thanks RH,

That is what i was thinking it might be but it just runs so well otherwise, but i will check it out.

Bringing this thread back to life. I'm having the same problem (California bike). I set it up on the center stand yesterday when I stopped and the problem went away. Still have to test it when running shorter errands to see if the fix works all the time.

Plan to take the canister out of the loop but can't find a post where someone details how to do it.

I'd forgotten about this thread, but I did remove my canister when I installed Roadrunner's harnesses a few months ago and voila! No more stumbling on cold starts when it's fricken' hot out. Try it, you got nothing to lose except a lb. of crap that makes it $%&*ing hard as hell to reassemble the lowers. I just routed the hoses back over the clutch slave back to the swingarm and have had zero problems. Next time I raise the tank I'll see about routing the hoses a better way.

One might speculate that the engine is running with a rich fuel/air ratio when you first start it after it sits absorbing rays and heat.

While it's sitting in the sun and heat the fuel is vaporizing in the tank and the fumes are expanding and flowing into the charcoal canister. The charcoal traps the vapors. The vapors adhere to the charcoal until the engine is started and the engine vacuum draws the vapors into TB 1 & 4. These vapors are combined with the normal fuel/air mixture. Until the excess vapors from the canister are removed cylinders 1 & 4 will operate in a rich condition.

The engine may stumble a bit until all the excess vapors have been purged from the canister.

Bringing this thread back to life. I'm having the same problem (California bike). I set it up on the center stand yesterday when I stopped and the problem went away. Still have to test it when running shorter errands to see if the fix works all the time.

Plan to take the canister out of the loop but can't find a post where someone details how to do it.
Just take the lowers off and it's not that hard. Trust me, it's a helluva lot easier to put back together w/o the canister.

I've had some of these starting issues. I find that it helps to let the engine check light time out before starting. I think the ECU needs the time to do its' search.