Russel Seat order and GenMar risers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goodman4

Pressing on
Reaction score
I was a little surprised by my call I got from Russell today confirming my seat order. I had marked on the order that I was still adapting to the riding position and was trying to get some weight off my arms. When they called me to confirm the order they told me I needed to get the risers taken care of BEFORE I ordered the seat. I was supposed to get them and take new pictures. I pushed back that I was going with advice from the FJRforum who recommended getting the seat first and then see if I needed to do risers. So she put me on the phone with a builder.

I explained my situation and he told me that from the pics I have a lot of weight on my hands. He said it wouldn't affect the seat build in this case because he almost always recommends risers when he build seats for the FJRs. So I'll have the build date in late August as is, and I went ahead and ordered the GenMars today anyway. Still, I am worried that may not be enough since I apparently am a riding position leper. I've read the Master Yoda and have even been practicing the components (apparently very unsuccessfully). I guess in my defense I am also managing mild ankle pain from a previous injury that got me a plate installed, so I try not to put too much weight on my ankles, which is part of the balance of the position.

Anyway, do you think from this pic that it is my riding position, or just my body that is causing the extreme weight on the bars? If it's something I can fix through technique, I'm willing to put the work in.

IMG_9715.jpg

It looks to me like the top part of your back is rolled forward, while your lower back is straight.

Can you roll your hips forward at all and straighten out your back? Or are you already?

Try sitting closer to the tank, and relax your arms.

Try squeezing the tank with your legs and use your legs and back to hold up your upper body.

Also ride with the shield in the lowest position, and the wind may help hold you up.

The Russell is higher than the stock seat, so it will make the bars seem lower , and you may have more arm/wrist pain unless you raise the bars.

The is me scooting up and trying to straighten out the back just now. Not too flattering a shot, I admit. I feel like a fat old idiot doing this, but I've got to figure this out.

IMG_9753_edited-1.jpg

The is me scooting up and trying to straighten out the back just now. Not too flattering a shot, I admit. I feel like a fat old idiot doing this, but I've got to figure this out.

IMG_9753_edited-1.jpg
That looks better.

Also make sure youre rolling your hips forward...that will straighten out your back, and will put more pressure on your feet. If you havent done so, Google "master yoda riding position" and read up. It solved my issues I was having similar to yours.

Try the balls of your feet on the pegs rather than the middle of your foot. Easier to use the leg muscles to adjust position.

Russell genuinely wants you to like your seat. They do not want to have to buy it back, so their advice on the order of the farkling makes good sense to me. They build several seats every day. I was out there a couple of weeks ago, and they have at least 4 guys building seats on the staff if the business cards for seat builders is a legitimate indicator. They have a LOT of experience.

Second, sit where you would like to sit when you take your photographs. Russell will build the seat to try to give you maximum comfort in that position. The risers will affect your body geometry. The seat needs to adapt to the body geometry. Buy the risers and monkey with your bars first. Then order the seat. The seat is a true custom item.

Third, when Russell builds you a seat, it will have a nice pocket in which you are supposed to sit. If you honor the pocket and sit there, you should be comfortable. Its as good as any tractor seat I've ever spent 14 straight hours on.

Try the balls of your feet on the pegs rather than the middle of your foot. Easier to use the leg muscles to adjust position.
+1

Also after you get the Russell, that will help so the wings on the seat don't push on the back of your legs and make them go numb (pins and needles).

Thanks for all the advice. I keep re-reading the Master Yoga article and I have a rudimentary understanding of some of the tenets:

Bend at the HIPS, not waist<li>Maintain a SLIGHT arch to the back, not allowing it ever to "curve"<li>Move the butt AFT so the weight is OVER YOUR FEET.<li>Apply pressure to the feet, using the THIGH muscles, so you are sitting "lightly"<li>ELBOWS BENT, now DROP the hands to the bars.

But I have trouble with getting pressure on my feet because of my ankle pain I get on this bike versus a cruiser. That's the issue with getting on the balls of my feet, too. Not totally sure how to move my butt AFT and crowd the tank, as those seem opposite.

Got a long three day 600+ mile ride over the 4th, so I'll take lots of ibuprofin for that trip. I've been doing better all around when I medicate the joints.

My risers were shipped today, so I may get them on before the trip to try them out. Also I have a firm build date of 8/20 for the seat. A part of me wonders if I might need to lighten up on the Yoda position to save the ankle. It hurts a lot more right now than the wrists, which are much less of a deal now that I can stretch my hand with the Vista Cruise. The only reason they hurt at all now is cause I was squeezing the snot out of the grips as I went to the motorcycle course lot and was doing tight turns and stops.

So that's the only real decision on the table. Do I leave Russell with the pic I've got (top one), or after I get the risers try to sit like I think I need to even though it hurts the ankle? I plan on learning a lot on this 4th of July trip, but I'll heavily factor in the opinions here, of course.

Got a long three day 600+ mile ride over the 4th, so I'll take lots of ibuprofin for that trip. I've been doing better all around when I medicate the joints.
Is the prognosis for long term pain in the ankle, or do you expect to eventually be more or less pain free? This might affect your strategy.

I wonder if a pair of Sidi Vortice Corsa boots would help. I have a left foot problem that bites me from time to time, and the Sidi Vertigo Corsa boots really help, more or less acting as a cast to protect and fix the foot's position. This foot issue is how I got on an FJR initially. I have an AE model and use the paddle shifter, taking the load off my left foot.

Do I leave Russell with the pic I've got (top one), or after I get the risers try to sit like I think I need to even though it hurts the ankle? I plan on learning a lot on this 4th of July trip, but I'll heavily factor in the opinions here, of course.
Send Russell a picture as you intend to ride the bike. They will build the seat accordingly. If your ankle pain is expected to eventually diminish, you might want to wait for the Russell seat until you're stable.

Thanks for all the advice. I keep re-reading the Master Yoga article and I have a rudimentary understanding of some of the tenets:

Bend at the HIPS, not waist<li>Maintain a SLIGHT arch to the back, not allowing it ever to "curve"<li>Move the butt AFT so the weight is OVER YOUR FEET.<li>Apply pressure to the feet, using the THIGH muscles, so you are sitting "lightly"<li>ELBOWS BENT, now DROP the hands to the bars.

But I have trouble with getting pressure on my feet because of my ankle pain I get on this bike versus a cruiser. That's the issue with getting on the balls of my feet, too. Not totally sure how to move my butt AFT and crowd the tank, as those seem opposite.

My risers were shipped today, so I may get them on before the trip to try them out. Also I have a firm build date of 8/20 for the seat. A part of me wonders if I might need to lighten up on the Yoda position to save the ankle. It hurts a lot more right now than the wrists, which are much less of a deal now that I can stretch my hand with the Vista Cruise. The only reason they hurt at all now is cause I was squeezing the snot out of the grips as I went to the motorcycle course lot and was doing tight turns and stops.

So that's the only real decision on the table. Do I leave Russell with the pic I've got (top one), or after I get the risers try to sit like I think I need to even though it hurts the ankle? I plan on learning a lot on this 4th of July trip, but I'll heavily factor in the opinions here, of course.
I can't help you with the riding position, and I don't mean to post this in any sort of derogatory manner, but if you're putting risers on just before a long trip I STRONGLY suggest you get a good test ride with them before counting on them to hold up for your trip. It's a sure-fire recipe for major problems.

Best of luck with your seat/risers combo.

I don't mean to post this in any sort of derogatory manner, but if you're putting risers on just before a long trip I STRONGLY suggest you get a good test ride with them before counting on them to hold up for your trip. It's a sure-fire recipe for major problem.
Good advice. I've been debating the same thing. If it was electrical, I wouldn't mess with it, but since it is just handlebars I am undecided. The determination was going to be when I got the risers in. I'll have a couple test ride opportunities Sat and Sunday if they get here quick. Except it looks like its going to be over 100 here. I expect the risers to get here Thurs or Friday.

So do you think this is enough, or am I asking for trouble?

Is the prognosis for long term pain in the ankle, or do you expect to eventually be more or less pain free? This might affect your strategy.
Actually the ankle pain only started WITH the FJR. I posted on that when I first got the bike and it got better for a while and has only gotten worse again as I've tried to change the riding position. I broke the ankle on a dirt bike back in 2007 and have taken several 500+ mile trips with the wife on the VTX and never had the ankle bother me one bit. It has flat Kuryakn pegs, but I'm sure it's just the position more than the pegs. I find the ibuprofin knocks most of it. I rode 360 miles over two days a couple weeks ago on the FJR and I didn't have to think about the ankle much and had a lot more miles left before the rain drove me home, but I wasn't messing with position. I'm coming to the conclusion that trying to fix the riding position is causing the pain and I have to find a compromise between the factors, which may not be totally perfect. I'm going to ask the doc what he thinks later this week.

Re: your ankle, have you installed highway pegs yet? Those might help by giving you a forward position to rest your feet occasionally. I use mine a lot on longer rides.

Actually the ankle pain only started WITH the FJR. I posted on that when I first got the bike and it got better for a while and has only gotten worse again as I've tried to change the riding position. I broke the ankle on a dirt bike back in 2007 and have taken several 500+ mile trips with the wife on the VTX and never had the ankle bother me one bit. It has flat Kuryakn pegs, but I'm sure it's just the position more than the pegs. I find the ibuprofin knocks most of it. I rode 360 miles over two days a couple weeks ago on the FJR and I didn't have to think about the ankle much and had a lot more miles left before the rain drove me home, but I wasn't messing with position. I'm coming to the conclusion that trying to fix the riding position is causing the pain and I have to find a compromise between the factors, which may not be totally perfect. I'm going to ask the doc what he thinks later this week.
I would stop putting good money after bad and trade or sell the FJR. If it reactivated ankle pain from a 5 year old injury, it may be very difficult to get to the point where your ankle is comfortable on this bike.

I don't mean to post this in any sort of derogatory manner, but if you're putting risers on just before a long trip I STRONGLY suggest you get a good test ride with them before counting on them to hold up for your trip. It's a sure-fire recipe for major problem.
Good advice. I've been debating the same thing. If it was electrical, I wouldn't mess with it, but since it is just handlebars I am undecided. The determination was going to be when I got the risers in. I'll have a couple test ride opportunities Sat and Sunday if they get here quick. Except it looks like its going to be over 100 here. I expect the risers to get here Thurs or Friday.

So do you think this is enough, or am I asking for trouble?
If you were to get at least a couple of hours on it with the new risers, I'd say that's sufficient. And I would concur with your thoughts about if it were electrical, etc. This is certainly not as daunting as something like a wiring harness, etc.

I'm somewhat in your position. I too ride slightly leaning forward, so if you have time and would be willing I'd love to see the same photo with the new risers installed.

Best of luck!

I would stop putting good money after bad and trade or sell the FJR. If it reactivated ankle pain from a 5 year old injury, it may be very difficult to get to the point where your ankle is comfortable on this bike.
Ack. I see why you suggest that and the first week I was wondering about whether I made the wrong decision on the bike. But I have to remember that I was past the ankle pain until I started messing with the riding position and it started up again. So I'm sure she'll be good to me and we'll get there.

With apologies to Jason Mraz,

I won't give up... on... us

Even when my shins... feel... rough

I'm givin you all... my... love

I'm still revving up

;)

I will post pics of my altered state once I get the risers on.

Got the GenMar risers installed this morning and adjusted to the close position on the handlebar setting. Here is the final product:

IMG_9763.jpg

And the result in riding position as promised:

IMG_9769.jpg

The arms seem much straighter. I rode for an hour and I think it's going to help.

That looks pretty feckin' good to me.

Now, when you send those pictures to Russell they'll have a pretty good idea where you need to be. The issue for them is that you aren't exactly a tall guy. So if they jack your ass up an inch you'll be back in the same trouble you were in before the risers. So that is their challenge. Make sure that they understand that.

The good news is that they have a money back guarantee. So they need to make you happy.

edit - on second review you don't seem all that short either. Do you just have short arms?

Last edited by a moderator: