Russel Seat order and GenMar risers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the advice. I'm 5'10". I guess that's kind of average. I don't know if my arms are short. They're the same one's I've always used. :blink: Actually, I think they're average per shirt sizes.

I think I just learned to sit differently on my other bikes and now I have to adjust. I haven't had any thought of moving the bars any more since the last adjustment. The rides lately have been really good. I am concerned about getting up too high with the Russell to where I don't feel comfortable with my footing. The KZ1000 I used to have was a challenge to balance at stoplights and I don't want to go back to that if I can help it. But the better seat will be worth some retraining. I'm the kind of guy that makes things work, but I struggle for a while to make it as good as possible. I think I'll end up ok and I know my wife will like the Russell.

You made good progress with the installation of the GenMar risers. I don't understand your statement that your arms seem more straight through, as comparing the two photos shows that you definitely have a more comfortable and natural position with the bars set back towards you. Your elbows look much more comfortable now.

What is your inseam measurement? I ask because mine is now 28.5", down from a maximum of 30" a few years ago in my "prime". The Russel seat I had built two years ago did raise my fanny, but only about 1/2" when seated in the pocket. You will quickly learn to slide your butt forward toward the tank each time you are about to need "feet down" at stops, etc. If they are aware of a challenged inseam problem, they will work with you to minimize the width of the seat at the front, making it easier to place your feet securely.

I wish I could say that it solves the problem 100%, but that would be a lie. I have dropped the bike a total of 4 times, each caused by a loss of traction on one boot or the other. Damned aggravating, but that's what I get for loving a tall, fat girl, eh?

I also note that in the last photo, you have moved more toward having the ball of your foot on the peg rather than the instep... that will help with your overall control and comfort too, as you become used to it.

I'm betting you will love the Russel, I know I do! I AM glad I was able to arrange for a ride-in appointment though, as they were able to get it absolutely right the first time.

Don

You made good progress with the installation of the GenMar risers. I don't understand your statement that your arms seem more straight through, as comparing the two photos shows that you definitely have a more comfortable and natural position with the bars set back towards you. Your elbows look much more comfortable now.
Thanks. To clarify, I believe part of the recommended position is to have your forearms parallel to the ground from your elbows to the bar this is what I meant by "straight" I think. This is opposed to the whole arm from the shoulder being straight which is a bad thing (like the pics at the top). I think I've got the position pretty close to right in the bottom pic and this is the one I'm sending to Russell next week.

As to the inseam, I have a 30".

Thanks again for all the advice.

Well I'm pretty excited cause Monday was my build date. They've had my seat for a week now. I expect to get it back the week of Labor Day or early the next. I plan on posting a review of my experience with the process and how we do with the seat change. Since a lot of folks are planning on doing the group buy, maybe it will help some make the decision.

Well I'm pretty excited cause Monday was my build date. They've had my seat for a week now. I expect to get it back the week of Labor Day or early the next. I plan on posting a review of my experience with the process and how we do with the seat change. Since a lot of folks are planning on doing the group buy, maybe it will help some make the decision.
My build date was the 16th and they called me monday for credit card info. The seats were shipped the next day. According to UPS ill have them on the 28th (CA to AL)

Something that made a big difference to me was highway pegs. It enabled me to stretch my legs out a bit and greatly improved the comfort level.

Last edited by a moderator:
My build date was the 16th and they called me monday for credit card info. The seats were shipped the next day. According to UPS ill have them on the 28th (CA to AL)
Keep tinkering with it, you'll get it. Just came off a VTX1300C. Killed me when I first bought it. Terrible back pain, couldn't ride for more than an hour. 3" risers, a mustang seat with a back rest and highway pegs fixed it for me. 7300 mile trip this summer with many 12 and 13 hour days in the saddle. Won't say it was always completely comfortable but certainly tolerable.

I thought I'd provide closure on this topic with my final review of my Russell seats after a 1200 mile trip to N Georgia.

The seats really do make a huge difference in ride time and many of the aches and pains go away. We were never tired of riding at the end of our 300 mile days. Butt pain was non-existent. Oddly, my ankle pain was gone. This was the big problem when I first got the FJR and I did not expect the seat to take care of it, but everybody said to fix the seat first cause it changes everything. It's true. The wife also loves her pillion seat. It is all the comfort we hoped for.

I feel like I have two positions now, being able to sit up at the tank and sitting back using the "wings". It makes a huge difference. I was thinking about highway pegs for the legs cause I end up dangling them or sitting different ways to get the stiffness out after the first few hours. It never happened on this trip and there will be no need for highway pegs in the near future.

The negative, as feared, is that it is taller. This causes two problems. Problem one - I am 5'10" with a 30" inseam, so I've gone from feeling semi-comfortable with backing up and very comfortable stopping, to hoping for inclines if I have to back up and semi-fair at stopping. My wife got to judging my stops, which got really irritating, "That was a really good one, dear" or "that one was really bad." I knew which ones were bad without her telling me. I keep getting better, but I am on my toes compared to my flat feet. It makes a big difference.

The other related negative is that I have a little more pressure on my arms and they bothered me this trip. I had previously worked on my riding position and put risers on to get the weight off my hands, but some of it seems to be back. This wasn't a totally fair comparison on that, as I rode longer without stops due to my butt being able to handle it. Also a lot of the riding was twisties on the Gauntlet in N Georgia and the Tail of the Dragon, so I was grabbing extra tight for a lot of curves.

Anyway, even with the height problem, the seats are definitely worth it. And I think they look good too:

IMG_0643.jpg

IMG_0925.jpg
IMG_0913.jpg
IMG_0690.jpg

So if you're shorter than me, you better get high heels if you want great seats. If you're taller than 5'10", you're wasting time not ordering the best seats out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got back from a 12 day, 4558 mile trip with my new Russell - the first day was a 1000+ Saddle Sore. The seat ROCKS! I never had butt pain. None. My knees ached from time to time (I do have highway pegs) but that's to be expected with all that riding. Nothin' but a thang.

As for your seat - see if they're able to reduce the height of the front of the seat. When I ordered mine I specifically requested they make the front of my seat as low as possible so I could safely move the bike around. The seat did make me just slightly higher than I had been but not enough to be a problem. (Just FYI: I have something like a 28" inseam. I put on the German riser plate and I lowered the bike 7/8" with Kouba links before I ordered the seats).

Congrats, by the way, and welcome to the world of comfort ;) :lol: