Russell Cycle Products

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcoug

Reaction score
Tell me I didn't make a mistake - I think I bought into the hype.

My experience with Russell Cycle Products (day-long.com) has been less than stellar. Maybe I'm naive but two an a half weeks for a saddle built seems long with a confirmed build date. This was my fist custom seat in four bikes and a month out of commission seems extreme (two and a half weeks plus shipping). The seat better be damn good to keep me off the road this long. I guess I'm a bit irritated when they tell me I need to pay for express shipping if I want it back faster especially when they they didn't respond on a group buy off Advrider in December and then didn't tell me it was going to take a two and a half weeks in their spartan if not terse build date confirmation. I could have gone to a one of a couple local reputable PNW builders (in drive in range) that could have built it sooner (maybe better).

If they haven't torn it apart yet should I pull it back or is it that good compared to other builders?

For anyone buying soon, make sure you ask about their production schedule. Do it by phone and avoid email at all costs. I guess I should have put more credence in their contact by phone language on their website and not used their online ordering.

The wait will be worth it. The 2.5 weeks is not all that bad since this is probably their busiest time of the year with everyone in the Northern climates getting their bikes ready for the riding season.

I doubt very much that any of the local seat builders have the equipment or the expertise that Russell has in custom seats. You are correct in that their e-mail responses are not stellar but then that is fairly common with most companies these days. I found them very good in answering any of the questions I had when I actually spoke to them on the phone. Sometimes the old ways of communicating are still the best.

I haven't tried any other seat maker but I think you will be very pleased in the end result. I knew it was going to take a while so I waited until the fall group buy and sent mine in during the winter when I didn't need it. Anyway once you get it back and get used to it for a few weeks my bet is you will be happy. I spoke with them as well and had a very clear understanding of how it worked from start to finish. If I was going to be upset with someone it would be Yamaha for totally missing the mark on providing a good seat to start with!

My experience with Russell Cycle Products (day-long.com) has been less than stellar. Maybe I'm naive but two an a half weeks for a saddle built seems long with a confirmed build date. This was my fist custom seat in four bikes and a month out of commission seems extreme (two and a half weeks plus shipping). The seat better be damn good to keep me off the road this long. I guess I'm a bit irritated when they tell me I need to pay for express shipping if I want it back faster especially when they they didn't respond on a group buy off Advrider in December and then didn't tell me it was going to take a two and a half weeks in their spartan if not terse build date confirmation. I could have gone to a one of a couple local reputable PNW builders (in drive in range) that could have built it sooner (maybe better).

If they haven't torn it apart yet should I pull it back or is it that good compared to other builders?

For anyone buying soon, make sure you ask about their production schedule. Do it by phone and avoid email at all costs. I guess I should have put more credence in their contact by phone language on their website and not used their online ordering.
+1 The wait will be worth it.I remember a few years back when I was where you are.my buddy bought a seat off e-bay for his connie before he sent his seat to Russell and sold it when the finished seat came back.Why in the hell didn't I think of that

Do you often go to the internet to complain without first reading anything? Also, you and probably 4 dozen people waited until almost riding season to get their seats done. It's not a chinese factory turning out ipods. It quality built comfy seats.

Each year, around July the group buy starts. I don't think they've missed a year since I got mine done in 2007. Click HERE and start reading. You'll notice that they were gauging interest in July and the order dates were in October. Build dates were after. There were at least 20 people signed up from this forum alone. Since you've been to the website you probably noticed that they build custom seats for lots of different bikes, each probably having their own forum.

If you'd like, I have a set of Yamaha "touring" seats I'm willing to ship to you. I won't charge you for "renting" the seats, but I ask that you pay for the shipping. I should have a box and I have loads of packing peanuts. PM me for details and I'll help you get back to riding. When your new comfy Russell seats show up, just rebox mine and ship 'em back.

Relax. Breathe. Repeat.

After a 550 mile day on the stock seat on my FJR, I knew it was time for something more comfortable. I bought a Bill Mayer off of TwoWheelNut's bike and while it was more comfortable than the stocker, it just wasn't for me. So I bought a Russell off a forum member. He expedited the shipping and I put it on the night before I left for SFO '09. JustRoy and I rode to Eureka Springs, AR, that next day which was my first ride on my Russell - 725 miles. I am a believer in that seat. Since then, the wife and I have ridden many 500 - 650 mile days which would not have been possible without that seat.

Bottom line: patience, padawan, and your butt will be rewarded.

If you'd like, I have a set of Yamaha "touring" seats I'm willing to ship to you. I won't charge you for "renting" the seats, but I ask that you pay for the shipping. I should have a box and I have loads of packing peanuts. PM me for details and I'll help you get back to riding. When your new comfy Russell seats show up, just rebox mine and ship 'em back.
Good on ya, 'cricket!

I've still got a stock seat for my bike, but the much-superior GenI seat won't fit on them lowly GenII's. :p

"If you'd like, I have a set of Yamaha "touring" seats I'm willing to ship to you. I won't charge you for "renting" the seats, but I ask that you pay for the shipping. I should have a box and I have loads of packing peanuts".Damn nice of you Twisted cricket

"If you'd like, I have a set of Yamaha "touring" seats I'm willing to ship to you. I won't charge you for "renting" the seats, but I ask that you pay for the shipping. I should have a box and I have loads of packing peanuts".Damn nice of you Twisted cricket
stop it...I'm trying to maintain my status as "Forum asshat"

It sure is FRIDAY today. Should we send you some cheese to have with your WHINE. Get over it you waited until print no deal with it. You sound like my youngest did when she was 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got one of those local northwest seats and am considering redoing it with a russell. Waiting for an email response from Kingston now. And fwiw, I'd never do leather again. Requires too much maintainance.

stop it...I'm trying to maintain my status as "Forum asshat"
You have a long way to go to beat out RadioHowie for that job.
tongue.gif

I just got my seat back from my two week wait. Took it out for a little spin yesterday and I can say anything but OMG why did I wait so long. It is well worth the wait!