Russell seat a good buy?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone bought a Russell seat lately? Is this ebay one a good price?
https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FJR1300-Rus...sQ5fAccessories

As we all know, Russell seats are great. The price looks good too.

However, the seat was built for someone else. Everyone has a different rear-end, riding style, inseam, and etc. That seat maybe perfect for him but not necessarily you. There is a reason why this is called a custom saddle.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in the process of ordering a Russell-the production date for mine is July 20 (you have to have your stock seat to them by that date) and it may take a couple of weeks after that. You have to send them a couple of pictures of your position on the bike, so they make it specifically for your riding position, build, etc. Because my inseam is short, I have to get the sport version to ensure I can reach the ground. The other day-long version actually has springs in it so you'll sit higher. Imagine, though, how comfortable it would be to have springs in your seat! I will say their prices are no higher than most and the sport version is 20% less. I have a Corbin currently that I love, but my old bones now need a seat that is less firm.

Contact the seller and ask him the measurements he sent to Russell. If the 2 of you are close, then you're in the ball park for considering it.

Contact the seller and ask him the measurements he sent to Russell. If the 2 of you are close, then you're in the ball park for considering it.
Great advice. The one I bought for my wife (pillion seat) works out very well because the former owner was close in height and weight. And my "custom" seat was made for a guy the same weight and one inch taller (but the same inseam) and it does fit me like a glove. And don't be upset if it doesn't fit. A good seat is worth the weight or $$$ you put in. I mean you sit on it and it's the CORE of being able to ride (comfort).

Alexi

Great advice. The one I bought for my wife (pillion seat) works out very well because the former owner was close in height and weight. And my "custom" seat was made for a guy the same weight and one inch taller (but the same inseam) and it does fit me like a glove. And don't be upset if it doesn't fit. A good seat is worth the weight or $$$ you put in. I mean you sit on it and it's the CORE of being able to ride (comfort).

Alexi
+! As Bounce says, there is still a risk, but this is what I did and the previous owner's measurements must have been close enough to mine to make the seat comfortable for me. Price sounds right.

I had just taken delivery on my new Russell seat prior to leaving on my Oregon trip. The breakin period is supposedly about 500 miles. I hit 1700 on mine and it is the greatest addition I have made so far to my FJR. With my Rifle windshield and my Russell seat, I feel I could easily ride to Michigan to visit Bust.

If the seat you are interested in was made for someone similar to your size and weight, it's probably a great buy. If not, you may be unhappy with the purchase.

D

Russell was good enough to look up the stats of the rider who bought the one on the bike I have. It fit me well and I like it alot. He was heavier and taller but it still works for me. No BS (butt sore) after a day in the saddle.

Hmmm.... I'm thinking about getting a Russell more than ever now. I even have a $150 gift certificate for one that I won at SFO this year. I would like to do a ride in thinking that they would have a better chance of getting it right the first time. I had to send my Rick Meyer back twice and it still wasn't comfortable. How many of you have done the ride in and those that didn't, did they get it right or did you have to send it back? Sorry for the slight thread hijack.

GP

How many of you have done the ride in and those that didn't, did they get it right or did you have to send it back? Sorry for the slight thread hijack.
My partner and I both did mail-ins...they fit us great the first time.

To the OP, I think the seller is misleading a bit. the "$750 new" price is close to accurate for a full leather, both seats done. This looks like a solo full leather, which would be closer to $600 new. (Note: these prices do not factor in the rain cover he's including)

Personally, I went for the Leather Inserts, where the seating area is leather, and the sides are vinyl. For a solo seat there, you're looking at around $550. If it were me, and I was still in the market, I'd go ahead and spend the extra $100 and get one made for me (it may be less than a $100 difference once other bidders step up).

I did the solo but with the passenger seat covered to match in full black leather being I don't have passengers much (wife don't ride). Did the mail in and I am satisfied with my seat, no adjustments needed. And kudos to Russell, when I told them I had planned on a trip to Oregon on July 6th, they stepped up and got my seat done in time and had it delivered in 2-days at the basic 5-day rate. They first told me to expect the seat on July 12th. I also had the heavier springs installed because I weigh 260, it was worth the extra $45. Like a really good fitting pair of shoes, nothing beats a seat you can enjoy for days that doesn't leave that long lasting pain in the ass!!

It did raise the height about an inch or inch and a half. Had to work a little harder to throw my leg over it, but as it gets broke in, it is beginning to resume a natural height. No real problem, just indicates to me that I'm not as young as I once was and a little stretching exercise wouldn't hurt either. It is easy to tell the seat is made from only the best materials.

I give my Russell a full 5-Star rating because I have never owned a seat so comfortable before.

There has not been a post on this subject in almost two years, so there may be new practical knowledge with the Russell seat. I guess the central theme of my question is this. How close can I expect to get to the level of comfort I paid for ? I have only 300 mileson this seat and they have NOT been comfortable miles. Certanly not ready for a cross-country. Way too firm and the wings, or horns press into my upper with a good amount of load. Actually that is the main concern. Both here and a club member have said that there is a break in period. Am I the first to think that this seat is not all that ? Thanks for you input on this sore subject. I will call Russell tomorrow and see what they say. Thanks> J.D.

Last edited by a moderator:
There has not been a post on this subject in almost two years, so there may be new practical knowledge with the Russell seat. I guess the central theme of my question is this. How close can I expect to get to the level of comfort I paid for ? I have only 300 mileson this seat and they have NOT been comfortable miles. Certanly not ready for a cross-country. Way too firm and the wings, or horns press into my upper with a good amount of load. Actually that is the main concern. Both here and a club member have said that there is a break in period. Am I the first to think that this seat is not all that ? Thanks for you input on this sore subject. I will call Russell tomorrow and see what they say. Thanks> J.D.
I think there have been a lot of posts about Russell (and other) seats during the past two years.

I would estimate that at least 90% of the posts on Russell seat comfort are very positive.

I would share with you my own experience when I had Russell build a seat for my Triumph Rocket III Touring. I did not like it very well when it first arrived. I was not that comfortable. It did not change much over time, and in fact, I would say that my trouble with the seat seemed to be increasing.

I was thinking I would send it back, and I got out the box and packaging to prepare it for shipment. There in the box were the instructions from Russell about where you were supposed to sit on his seat. I was not sitting there, but was sitting an inch or two further back from his pocket.

I decided to try the seat following the written instructions, and lo and behold, it made a HUGE difference. The seat was now comfortable. In fact, it became my all time favorite motorcycle seat.

I recently re-acquired an FJR, and I sent an extra set of seat pans off to Russell. If they're scheduling is correct, I should have the seat back in about 10 days.

If you're not sitting in "the pocket" correctly, you may not be getting the full benefit of the sprung suspension. If you're sitting in it correctly and you still don't like it, you might as well take Russell up on their offer to work with you to fix any problems.

One big difference that you'll feel with a Russell is that there is more support for the backs of your upper thighs. The seat distributes your body weight over a larger area than a stock saddle and the seating area is shaped more or less to fit you. In your case, it sounds like the saddle might still need some work. Russell recommends riding for 800-1000 miles to break in the seat and get used to it before changing anything. I would recommend following their advice. My Russells have been 'all that', but you need the saddle to work for you and they will work with you to get it right, so be patient, do the break-in miles and then get in touch with them if there are still issues.

For anyone reading the thread for background knowledge or trying to decide whether to take the plunge on a Russell, I've had four Russells (and a couple of Rick Mayers) through the years and the Russells that were done totally mail-order were actually better than the 'ride-in' saddles, so don't feel like the saddle that you do mail-order is in some way inferior to a ride-in build. My future Russells will all be done through the mail and I'm an easy ride from their place.