?'s about performance mods

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuckinohio

Reaction score
I have been searching around the site and I see some info on Wicked Webby's air box mod and Some stuff regarding AFR tuner and PCIII commander, along with some slip on exhausts, but none seem to provide sizable gains in horsepower and torque. I see some stuff by UselessPickles where he appears to have made some gains, but I wonder how much?

The PCIII seems to be geared towards smoothing out the throttle, and not so much towards power.

First, I understand that the FJR is much quicker than my C10, and would be happy with it for a while, but I really would like the option to lay down some cash to quicken it up a little, like the following kit for the C14 Concours: https://www.areapnolimits.com/products/Slip...urs-14-2008.php

Just wanting to see whats available.

lewis

That's an exhaust system. So what? There are exhaust systems out the yin yang for FJRs, Muzzy, Staintune, Holeshot, Two Brothers, etc. Most are getting them for the sound, not the power, as the stock exhaust is rather lame as far as exciting noise goes.

Many of us use the PCIII for smoothing the throttle, but you can map for absolute power output if you like as well. you just need a dyno session at a tuner that knows what's going on. The PCIII for the FJR does not have access to timing, so there's a limit to how far it can go.

It's your money, go for it if you want.
Holeshot 4 into 2 header - Dale Walker Systems

Muzzy 4 into 1 system - Muzzy

Both probably would be aided by a PC-III and custom map.
This engine is already in a fairly good "state-of-tune". What kind of horsepower gains are you looking for?

AFAIK, nobody is grinding cams for the FJR engine. You could probably get a clever mechanic to help mount a good nitrous system.

There's always this: turbo site:fjrforum.com

That's an exhaust system. So what?
Well, not sure if you saw the power increases that the sytem is claiming, but they are substantial. From what I have seen, the systems for the FJR only add 6 to 9 horsepower. Seems like its a little hard to make horsepower improvements on the FJR compared to the Concours. Maybe not. Maybe I'm wrong. Trying to figure out all the positives and negatives to each.

One of the main reasons for upgrading bikes (for me anyways) is to get more power. No matter what, I always get tired/used to whatever amount of power that my bike or car puts out, as I think everyone does. I want the ability to easily add horsepower when I get to this point.

Plus, being fuel injected, I expected to find larger performance gains in tuning, rather than just smoothness.

It's your money, go for it if you want.
Holeshot 4 into 2 header - Dale Walker Systems

Muzzy 4 into 1 system - Muzzy

Both probably would be aided by a PC-III and custom map.
This engine is already in a fairly good "state-of-tune". What kind of horsepower gains are you looking for?

AFAIK, nobody is grinding cams for the FJR engine. You could probably get a clever mechanic to help mount a good nitrous system.

There's always this: turbo site:fjrforum.com
Yes and no. I mounted a nitrous system on mine and I don't consider myself all that clever or mechanically inclined. There are good "dry" systems out there that will get you another 40 horses and are under $300.00. I had the same equipment on my '05 and it worked great. I'd be willing to help anyone interested in installing-it really isn't difficult. However, beware, you have to know when/how to use it judiciously. The problem with nitrous is it isn't "on command," unless you push the button and only when wide open. You won't get your power through all the gears just cruising around and you do run out and need it filled.

Take a closer look at my avatar and you'll see the bottle above the exhaust (also one on the opposite side-20oz bottles).

Why not start with something that would be cheaper than slips ons or a full exhaust and easier to install ? First thing I would change to get more hp would be the air filter to a K&N. About $60 including shipping on ebay.

Keep in mind that the Connie has a horrendous stock exhaust that's very restrictive. 6-9 hp from an exhaust is much more typical than the 29 they claim for the Connie aftermarket exhaust. Regardless, it's likely a top end gain, rather than mid range ponies that you'll actually use day to day.

If you get bored easily, perhaps a dedicated track bike would be a better expenditure of your cash? The FJR isn't a sport bike. Don't make the mistake of thinking it is, or can hang with riders of equal skill on sport bikes.

Keep in mind that the Connie has a horrendous stock exhaust that's very restrictive. 6-9 hp from an exhaust is much more typical than the 29 they claim for the Connie aftermarket exhaust. Regardless, it's likely a top end gain, rather than mid range ponies that you'll actually use day to day.
If you get bored easily, perhaps a dedicated track bike would be a better expenditure of your cash? The FJR isn't a sport bike. Don't make the mistake of thinking it is, or can hang with riders of equal skill on sport bikes.
+1. If you like to farkle for the sake of it, OK But, at what point is it better to just get what you're trying to get through modifications and it won't be pieced together. A track bike would be the ticket, or a used Hayabusa (etc) for speed, etc.

Have you been on one yet?.... Ohio

Pinned through to 3rd gear is a interesting event. If you really need to feel much more acelleration build a drag bike.

Next you'll be bitchin' because it handles like a 650# Sport Touring Moto.

You want an Easy 10 hp..... Rip the shaft off and throw on a chain/belt drive....

-Don

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, not sure what everyone is getting so irritated about. If I have a bike that I want to add power to, whats the big deal. And I dont see what the problem is with wanting to add power to a bike that is already down on power compared to its competitors. Yes you have to rev the concours to get the power out of it, but I'm used to that, as I dont ride a V-twin. The FJR appears to have a fatter mid-range than the concours, so why not add horsepower to the top end and equal it out?

Most of the time, when I think of re-mapping the computer, it would be for performance, not some other reason. Typically it would be to advance timing, fatten up the fuel curve and optimize the air/fuel ratio. Thats why I was surprised to hear that it was for smoothness. I didnt know that the FJR had issues with the throttle.

Have you been on one yet? K
No I haven't, but I do have seat time on the C14 as well as the ZX-14 and the Buell 1125R and CBR's etc. And July 24th I will be riding the FJR and Concours back to back.
I like power and I like to ride fast when I want too. And I ALWAYS get tired of the stock power output of whatever and want to modify it. Maybe some people dont.

If you get bored easily, perhaps a dedicated track bike would be a better expenditure of your cash?
Sure dedicated track bike or at least a Hayabusa or ZX-14 would be the ticket, but who can afford that?
Maybe some of you think that I have already made up my mind and am gonna buy a Concours, and am just hanging around here to make you angry, but thats not the case. I am seriously considering the FJR. Points I like about it are:

Larger gas tank, Lighter weight, better handling, better heat management, and adjustable bars and pegs.

However, I am somewhat surprised about the tone and defensiveness of the replies I am getting on this topic.

Lewis

I'd second the ride one first... then add a PIII, mod the air box and add a exhaust system it will make the FJR wakeup!

If you get bored easily, perhaps a dedicated track bike would be a better expenditure of your cash?
Sure dedicated track bike or at least a Hayabusa or ZX-14 would be the ticket, but who can afford that?
I don't know about US pricing but last i checked the FJR is about $3000 bucks More new than either..

-Don

I put a PCIII and a full Holeshot system on my 05 along with a k/n. I had a "driveability" map made for it after the mods and it puts down 129hp and 86 ftlbs. Not too shabby for the big girl. I say the best bang for your buck on the FJR though is suspension mods, I had Traxxion work over my forks and send them back with a 3-way Penske, and that by far was a better investment than the go-fast farkles, the bike is already sneaky fast, you should make sure she can handle her liquor a bit better first.

OK, not sure what everyone is getting so irritated about. If I have a bike that I want to add power to, whats the big deal.
No big deal, and relax, we're not irritated. We've just seen this topic before. Some guys are adrenalene junkies and always looking for the next fix. <shrug> Don't know if that's you or not.

I like power and I like to ride fast when I want too. And I ALWAYS get tired of the stock power output of whatever and want to modify it. Maybe some people dont.
Always? Why is that? Hey, I realize you're stuck in Ohio, but you can only use so much power on the street. A new R-1 will top the ton in 1st gear. The FJR hits about 130 at fuel cut in 3rd. Even if you somehow had 250 Hp on tap, you'd just shred tires and never really be able to use the full potential of it.

Dude! YOU CAN. You can have a dedicated track bike for a lot less than a new FJR. Or even a used FJR. Pick up a salvage title R-1/R-6 or any number or other bikes, GSXR 750 comes to my mind... Lighter and waaaay more fun on the track or in the twisties. Power to weight ratio is much better than the FJR or Connie, if not as fast on the top as a 'Busa.

I am seriously considering the FJR. Points I like about it are:
Larger gas tank, Lighter weight, better handling, better heat management, and adjustable bars and pegs.

However, I am somewhat surprised about the tone and defensiveness of the replies I am getting on this topic.
Tone is in the reader's perception to some degree. It's the internet, don't cha know? ;)

Gut check - What are you planning to do with the bike, riding wise? Trips? Day rides? The local twisties? Commuting? All of the above? Why are you looking at Sport Touring bikes in the first place if power is an important issue for you? Not a slam, just something that comes to mind with your comments.

Re-mapping will only get you a little improvement. The bike is already well tuned w/o a lot of overhead left over. Sure, you could advance the timing and run premium gas, (the FJR runs on regular normally), but it's already a high compression motor and about all you're realistically going to be able to do is some intake and exhaust mods and some minor tuning before needing to make significant changes. Normally aspirated power always costs more than Forced Induction, dollar per Hp wise.

What are your previous bikes? That might help us understand where you're coming from, interest wise.

OCfjr,

Thanks for the reply, Always hard to figure out the meaning/attitude of posts since the net lacks the personality equation.

I love my 03 Concours and use my bike every day for commuting 40 miles round trip into large city, errands, day trips, weekend trips and longer, usually all two-up except to work. I ride in the rain alot and ride all the way through the year, managing 5-10 days a month in Dec, Jan and Feb. In two years and three months I have put on 30,000 miles on the C10, so I average a little less than 15,000 miles a year. I ride non-stop. All the miles come from trips below than 1,000 miles apiece. I would love to take longer cross country trips, but cant manage the time off for my wife and I.

Having a sport bike is out due to my riding needs and current body! I am 6'3 and 270lbs. I ride way too much to have a sport bike as my dedicated bike due to comfort quotient.

I ride so much, that the street-strip Mustang I put lots of money into, and love, stays parked in the garage and havent ridden it for a couple years.

Previous bikes are GS500 Suzuki, Yamaha radian, V65 Magna and the current Concours.

Very anxious to ride the FJR. Just have to have pantience :blink:

Good post. That helps us a lot to understand your point of view.

Any of the current crop of ST bikes is a pretty healthy step up on power from the C-10, but you know that already. I'm 265/5'11" and have 108k on my '04 FJR. I ride all year long, as you do. One of the things I like about the FJR is the available power in stock form. I average 44-46 mpg, but am not afraid to flog the bike when I want to.

Think of passing on two lane back roads. At say 50 mph, you have three easy options for the pass -

1. Just twist the grip and roll on by the car in front of you w/o any problems. B)

2. Down shift to 4th and twist the throttle and you shoot by the car before they can react. Good for those short passing areas. :eek:

3. Downshift twice to 3rd, whack the throttle. Time and Space fold together and suddenly you are 10 miles down the road and can't recall the last ten miles. :D

There is a lot of room for fun in the FJR and it's going to take you a little time to adjust to what's on tap, coming from the C-10. You should adjust smoothly and w/o problems, but it's natural to have a couple of 'Holy Sh&*' moments before you realize just how much more power is on tap. I accidently lofted the front wheel the first week I was riding the FJR. (Light turned yellow, I whacked the throttle and pulled the front wheel off the ground all the way across the intersection. Much to my surprise, and never you mind the talk with the nice LEO...)

I hear what you're saying about making changes, Re: the Mustang. BTDT with a 300 rwhp turbo Miata. You may be surprised to discover that the FJR does very well as is, or with relatively minor changes.

Bottom line, the FJR will do everything you like to do with the C-10 better, easier, and with you in more comfort. And you'll have this silly grin inside your helmet for quite a while too. The C-14 is a nice bike too, and has a lot going for it, but it didn't speak to me. You have to decide what fits you and your needs best. The silly little tank on the C-14 was a disappointment to me, all the more considering the C-10s big tank. It's a hot bike too.

Back on topic - Yes, there are mods you can make to add power. Generally at the expense of MPG, sometimes significantly so. But you're limited to probably 30 hp in total gains. While the FJR can be ridden high rpms, and most of us do in the twisties, it doesn't need to be wrung out to have a good dose of toque and motivate down the road well.

If you want a replacement for the C-10 that has a known upgrade path, HP wise, then the FJR is probably not the best choice. If you want a replacement for the C-10 that is an all around upgrade and has the potential to keep you happy for a while, the FJR can do that.

Hope that helps

Yeah, that gas tank is terrible. Like you said, coming from my bike w/huge gas tank, I dont know how I would handle the smaller tank. On trips, specially while with the rest of my family who rides Hardlys', I watch them always getting gas and go one or two stops without refueling. I like having the ability to just make small "stretch stops" anywhere I want without having to get gas and/or stressing about being in BFE and not finding a gas station.

It seems to be a serious flaw.

Lewis

Most of the LD guys run fuel cells, (including me). Nice to have a 500 mile range with reserve. Well, on real gas. The E-10 crap drops me down to about 450+reserve for 11.4 gallons. A fuel cell is always an option on the C-14, or a custom enlarged main tank. I can typically get 250+ from the FJRs main tank. Have seen 300+ before reserve on pure gas with slow roads on occasion.