Saddle Bag Lock Screws

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy

Reaction score
When I got home from my ride yesterday and was getting everything packed up, one of my saddle bag locks simply fell apart as I tried to use it. Turns out there's two small screws that hold the lock bar to the lock mechanism, and they had come loose. One of them was nowhere to be seen, and the other had loosened over time as well and fell out as I was trying to relock the bag.

I went down to the hardware store with the old screw today and got 4 replacements plus some extras in regular phillips head form (instead of the PIA torx screws that were on there). When I checked the lock on the other bag, it was missing a screw as well and the one that was left in there was VERY loose. I feel lucky that the locks didn't fall apart while I was out on I95 going 80 mph. If you guys have never checked on these screws, I'd highly recommend doing so to avoid the same issue!

When I got home from my ride yesterday and was getting everything packed up, one of my saddle bag locks simply fell apart as I tried to use it. Turns out there's two small screws that hold the lock bar to the lock mechanism, and they had come loose. One of them was nowhere to be seen, and the other had loosened over time as well and fell out as I was trying to relock the bag.

I went down to the hardware store with the old screw today and got 4 replacements plus some extras in regular phillips head form (instead of the PIA torx screws that were on there). When I checked the lock on the other bag, it was missing a screw as well and the one that was left in there was VERY loose. I feel lucky that the locks didn't fall apart while I was out on I95 going 80 mph. If you guys have never checked on these screws, I'd highly recommend doing so to avoid the same issue!
locktite is your friend

locktite is your friend
Agreed - that was definitely included in my fix!

Hi Jeremy,

If you haven't done so already, you should read the information for new members. This issue has been around since the first FJR's, and is included in our important info. There are probably some other good bits of information in there you haven't learned through experience yet, and would be best not to.

:clapping:

Hi Jeremy,

If you haven't done so already, you should read the information for new members. This issue has been around since the first FJR's, and is included in our important info. There are probably some other good bits of information in there you haven't learned through experience yet, and would be best not to.

:clapping:
Thanks slapnpop!

I have read through the new information, but missed the notes about the bag locks. Apologies for the repetitive post!

No apologies needed. Just trying to get you connected to a good source of information before you need it. ;)

I fail to see the humor.
What? We're talking about a 60 something year old man with no balls. It's not like he lost them in some kind of weird candle making accident. They just FELL OFF. Imagine walking down the street and suddenly from the guy in front of you...Clink. His balls fall off. What do you do? Do you stop him?? "Excuse me sir...Your balls just fell of." "Oh shit...Thanks. I keep meaning to get those fixed."

Besides, it couldn't have happened to a better person.

NOW is it funny?

Naaaaa...I didn't think you would think so. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

AND to the OP...I would have never known I had a screw loose either until I read this forum. Wait...That didn't sound right.

Last edited by a moderator:
I fail to see the humor.
I would almost feel bad for me failed attempt at it but...

The "love in" as of late to dumb fucks who can't fecking read instructions at sign in? I dunno.. I guess we need to hand hold illiterate kids..

This joint is so fukin far removed from the days of hit the fukin search daisy..It's right under yer stupid nose.

Fek it! I'm going to be a dick to morons who fail to read instructions.. Ban me..

I fail to see the humor.

The "love in" as of late to dumb fucks who can't fecking read instructions at sign in? I dunno.. I guess we need to hand hold illiterate kids..

This joint is so fukin far removed from the days of hit the fukin search daisy..It's right under yer stupid nose.

Fek it! I'm going to be a dick to morons who fail to read instructions.. Ban me..
Thanks for the laugh! I love the irony of being called illiterate by someone who has such mastery of the English language. :p

I did search and didn't see what I was looking for. I'm sure if I'd been a bit more diligent in my search I would have found the notes about this being a known issue. I did apologize for creating a repetitive thread, which would have simply died had everyone moved on.

Relax a little, B.J. Go grab a sandwich or something. ;)

I fail to see the humor.

Thanks for the laugh! I love the irony of being called illiterate by someone who has such mastery of the English language. :p

I did search and didn't see what I was looking for. I'm sure if I'd been a bit more diligent in my search I would have found the notes about this being a known issue. I did apologize for creating a repetitive thread, which would have simply died had everyone moved on.

Relax a little, B.J. Go grab a sandwich or something. ;)
Don't worry about Bust. He can't go grab a sandwhich; he's too drunk. Besides, if we kicked everyone out for asking stupid questions, there'd be no body here. Just about every question a person may have about an FJR has been asked and answered here; some more than others. Mostly, looking for the answers, especially when new can kind of be a bitch.

No worries...Don't be thin skinned, you'll never survive. Also, don't play with any stray sheep or goats you may find on this board. They are not normal.

I fail to see the humor.

I'm just not feeling the love :(

I fail to see the humor.

I'm just not feeling the love :(
Just stay the hell away from my burros, ya fecking arseholes!