Saddle Bag Lock Screws

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I got home from my ride yesterday and was getting everything packed up, one of my saddle bag locks simply fell apart as I tried to use it. Turns out there's two small screws that hold the lock bar to the lock mechanism, and they had come loose. One of them was nowhere to be seen, and the other had loosened over time as well and fell out as I was trying to relock the bag.

I went down to the hardware store with the old screw today and got 4 replacements plus some extras in regular phillips head form (instead of the PIA torx screws that were on there). When I checked the lock on the other bag, it was missing a screw as well and the one that was left in there was VERY loose. I feel lucky that the locks didn't fall apart while I was out on I95 going 80 mph. If you guys have never checked on these screws, I'd highly recommend doing so to avoid the same issue!
locktite is your friend
Just be very carefull with the Locktite that none of it finds its way into the lock mechanism otherwise you'll be replacing the lock. Suggest you only apply to the screws and not the lock threads. I speak from experience.

Leemee tell ya kids, Gunny!

I just got back from a fully loaded trip and one of my screws was gone and the other was very loose. :huh:

I must be missing something as I have no idea what the lock screws look like or where they are located. Could someone post up a pic, thanks!

I locktited mine back in 04, and they still came out last year on one side. Lucky that the locking bar was still there flopping around.

Last edited by a moderator:
fjrbrad, they're on the bottom of the latch that your saddle bag locks are on. When you lift up the latch, look on the bottom. There should be two screws per side on the underside of the lock.

Ya'll got screws loose.. Bin'O'facts people.
Yes, it's right there at the top. I've read thru them several times but that one just didn't register with me or didn't seem like a big deal. It certainly didn't register that we're talking about the screws that hold the orange latching tab. Sounds like there are at least a few others that are as dense as I am. I think it's good to have this bantered about again.

Ok I read the info provided in the "newbie" section and read this thread. The only torx screws I can find in my saddlebags are where the retractable straps are. I flipped the bags upside down and where the key lock/handle are are all rivets, no screws. I did the blue thread lock on the screws that I found. Just wondering if the previous owner had this done with the rivets because of the problems with the loose screws. Hmmmm.

The same thing just happened to me. I'm only missing one screw...but cant find a replacement at Lowes or Home Depot. Anybody got an idea what size the screw is? Looks like a 3MM fine tread maybe........and where can i find a replacement?

thanks

The same thing just happened to me. I'm only missing one screw...but cant find a replacement at Lowes or Home Depot. Anybody got an idea what size the screw is? Looks like a 3MM fine tread maybe........and where can i find a replacement?

thanks
Take the other screw out (use vise grips if you don't have the correct torx security bit) and run to your local hardware store. Look in the metric screw bins for one with the same thread pitch and use that one (with blue locktite) to secure the lock. Why Yamaha used a security torx in this application is beyond me because it would only slow someone from removing the lock after he had the bag already open and off the bike! IOW, absolutely no reason for it to be a security screw!