Saddle bag protection

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could easily tape of the section of the front quadrant, following the bodyline and spray the rattle-can bedliner. I've got a couple of scratches in mine and have considered spraying the upper portion.
Follow the directions on the can. I taped off the area (I made a pattern so that both sides are the same) with some pinstripe tape, then added masking tape and finally paper to collect the overspray. Make sure you rough up the area to be sprayed with some sandpaper (IIRC, it was 150 grit) then make a couple of light passes before the final coat. Let it dry before you pull the tape off.

If the "triangle piece" of the lower fairing gets much worse from road splooge, it may also be sprayed. Of course I have the "black and blue" thing going, anyway.

MM - exactly what I'm looking for. Is the 'rattle can bedliner' really undercoating like the stuff Napa carries or something else? I want to do the chin and very lower fairing...

IIRC, the bedliner material is a polyurethane, and the plain ol undercoating is petroleum based. Don't have a can to read the components though.

--G