Saddle Bag Safety Pin

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No pins here either. Like the others, I check my bags after I put them back on. Hadn't really thought about the theft issue. I thought they were pretty safe dammit. If it makes you feel better or more secure, pin the damn things...It's your bike.

60K + miles no pins no issues, no loctite on the screws. To me the whole thing is just because people do not do the proper pre-ride check

I want my side bags on there in the event of a low side. Those suckers are some nice big sliders. Persoanlly I'd rather grind up the saddlebag than my leg.
YMMV
This is the biggest reason that I ALWAYS ride with my saddlebags on the bike.

I've never pinned mine. Never really found a need. If you pay attention when you're putting them on & give em a shake, they shouldn't come off.

Mine come off all the time and pins would prevent that. Granted, they come off because I take them off....

I want my side bags on there in the event of a low side. Those suckers are some nice big sliders. Persoanlly I'd rather grind up the saddlebag than my leg.
YMMV
This is the biggest reason that I ALWAYS ride with my saddlebags on the bike.

I've never pinned mine. Never really found a need. If you pay attention when you're putting them on & give em a shake, they shouldn't come off.
+1 and the fact that the bike is a whole lot easier to pick up if it has the bags on :)

No pins...lock screws loctited. Bags RARELY on the bike anyway.

I only put them on for overnight trips...and most of my riding is

local commuting.

But when I do attach the bags...I make damn sure they are on

and secured correctly. Jiggle jiggle.

Pinned and forgotten. Probably unnecessary for the '07.

Lock screws LocTited (left lock came loose 1 week after purchase.)

My left bag came flying off after I hit a bump at 30 mph. I had just checked the bag the day before. You would not believe the hassle of trying to find a left bag. Install the pins and save yourself alot of grief! If using loctite makes sense then so does installing the pins. Check and see how much slide engages the latch at the top.

I had my right saddle bag come off while riding. It was a bumby road and I was making a turn. I have a pin in my right saddle bag so I don't worry about it anymore. The left saddle bag doesn't have the "play"

in it like the right one did. Plus I measured the tang extension when the bag was in the lock setting and the right tang had a shorter inset distance compared to the left.

I haven't done the locktite thing but I plan on checking the bolts this weekend but they seem tight when I just used my fingers to check their tightness.

You already know my thoughts on "pins".................Better safe than sorry, easy to drill for the pins, and easy to put them in, and take them out.