Saddlebag Locks, I am an @SSHole for not listening!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotoStrap

Reaction score
I have read time and time again on this forum to check the saddlebag locks and make sure they are locktite'd. But of course...why would I listen to anyone...not my bike....

I did a 2700 mile ride to Indy, West Virginia, North Carolina and back to CT. I parked the bike and did a few short rides in the area. So today as I am walking by my bike I see that the saddlebag locks are looking strange...kind of sitting higher then usual.

I check it out and see that the screws are missing on the left side and only one screw is holding the latch in on the other. Both locking bars are still there and I find one screw sitting in a crack in the box by the latch.

And of course they are some special screw, torx with a little nipple in the middle.

I run down to Ace Truevalue Hardware where they have a large collection of nuts, screws and bolts. I have always had good luck there with replacing screws and nuts I need on my various bikes over the years....

They had them, not the specific kind but a 2mm allen head style....at .30 cents each....and in stainless steel.

Bought and installed with locktite!

Here's a picture of the right screw type....."A"

photo.jpg

Ditto, wouldn't happen to my bike. Found one screw missing and the other loose on the left bag. Took a screw from my extra for the trunk lock (I don't have a trunk) and put both sides back together with Locktite. Should have listened to the good advice of the Forum members. My bike did make it to 50,000 before this happened. My advice is to Locktite them right away. Having a bag fall of would be a bummer.

I has joined this forum before taking delivery of my bike, and read the warnings about

the screws needing loctite. They day I brought my bike home I removed the scews and reinstalled

them using the locktite. 2 years later the locks are still in place and secure.

So, I am not an asshole for not listening...

(but may be for other reasons)

Thank you all wise and knowledgable FJR members.

KM

Saddlebag Locks, I am an @SSHole for not listening!
I believe you meant to say: "Saddlebag Locks, I am an DUMB@SS for not listening!"

:lol: Glad you didn't lose your stuff.... hope you didn't blow off anything else on the new owner's checklist..... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
My bike is 3 months old and never locktited. Better go do that now. I can see why Yamaha didn't do that at the factory, it would add another 2 cents to the price of the bike.

After returning from NAFO I noticed one of my saddlebag locks was not performing correctly. I took the bag off and found one of the screws had backed out.

I went to the hardware store intending to buy the screws but the gentleman that helped me suggested that I just buy the proper tool. It is a Torx Security Bit. I have enclosed a picture of it in the package. A little Locktite, the tool, a 1/4 inch socket set and it worked for me! $1.36

misc367.jpg

After returning from NAFO I noticed one of my saddlebag locks was not performing correctly. I took the bag off and found one of the screws had backed out.I went to the hardware store intending to buy the screws but the gentleman that helped me suggested that I just buy the proper tool. It is a Torx Security Bit. I have enclosed a picture of it in the package. A little Locktite, the tool, a 1/4 inch socket set and it worked for me! $1.36

misc367.jpg
Tamper-Proof my ass. Not when any jerkoff can go to Napa and buy a whole set of tips to take them off for less than $8. I know this becasue that is where I got mine :huh: ...When I loctited my little nippled screws. :p

These are little screws. Channel locks will take them off. I'm embarrased to say it but that is how I got mine tight. My regular torx set didn't quite fit. They are tight and lock tighted now. I will buy the allens if I have a problem again.

I was sufficiently nervous while reading this thread. I have almost 18k on my bike. I went looking for this type of screw all over my saddlebags but I couldn't find them....everything I see is riveted.

Are we talking about screws that hold the key-lock mechanism to the bag?

P1000224.JPG

(image taken inside the bag towards the lock)

Yeah, I didn't listen, mine fell off on the highway. Fortunately all the damage was cosmetic and I was able to use the extra lock from the one I lost to fix it.

I was sufficiently nervous while reading this thread. I have almost 18k on my bike. I went looking for this type of screw all over my saddlebags but I couldn't find them....everything I see is riveted.

P1000224.JPG

I believe the screws they are talking about are the two that screw the actual lock tab (the metal part you see move, between the two handles, when you turn the key) to the bottom of the locking cylinder. If they back out the bent metal tang will drop off the bottom of the lock (key) cylinder and allow the two handles to move to the unlocked position. Even if the lid stays latched, there have been reported incidents where the folding handle that locks the pannier to the bike have loosened and the panniers have come off the bike..

I believe the screws they are talking about are the two that screw the actual lock tab (the metal part you see move, between the two handles, when you turn the key) to the bottom of the locking cylinder. If they back out the bent metal tang will drop off the bottom of the lock (key) cylinder and allow the two handles to move to the unlocked position. Even if the lid stays latched, there have been reported incidents where the folding handle that locks the pannier to the bike have loosened and the panniers have come off the bike..
AH HA!

Ok. Those are still attached to my bags. I tried to gently persuade them to move and they didn't.

QUOTE (twistedcricket @ Oct 13 2008, 03:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

P1000224.JPG

These (click on image for bigger picture):

QUOTE (madjackdog @ Oct 12 2008, 10:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

... I can see why Yamaha didn't do that at the factory, it would add another 2 cents to the price of the bike.

The bags are an extra in some markets. They are supplied to the dealer separately, as are the three locks. It is then the dealer's responsibility to fit them.

They are MUCH better screws because the head on them is of a larger diameter thus they provide a larger contact point when screwed down. I have been using them for a year now.

Good Choice!

Another good thing about them is that you can use the screwdriver in you tool kit to check them from time to time.

FJRLOCK.jpg

How timely .. as this just happened to me. I was riding with some of the young guys from where I used to work and while at a stop one of the guys picked up my saddle bag handle! That wasn't supposed to happen.

Well, there was the latch and one screw still there .. so I hand turned it back in and figured I'd do the fix when I got home. That pic of the Ace Hardware store label was exactly what I got! And I used plain slotted screws .. to hell with those dimple torex jobbies. So in went the new with plenty of blue Loctight .. the other bag was good .. so I left it for now .. but I bought two extra screws to be used if they ever get loose. :)

Al Maurine

Yep, I'll admit it too. I checked my saddle bag lock screws for tightness periodically but never took them out and put loctite on them. Then, one day on a road trip a couple of states from home I noticed one of my locks was loose. Luckily, the metal tab was sitting on top of the bag, but both screws were gone. They have loctite on them now. ;)