Saddlebag sliders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mackeroni

Reaction score
After reading a couple "Boo hoo, I dropped my bike" posts, I realized it's just a matter of time before it happens to me. We have sliders to help minimize damage to the frame and fairing. Why don't we have sliders for the saddlebags? Something like the little rubber wings on the Honda ST's might not look too bad and provide some minimal protection.

It'a a matter of being strong enough to support the bike whilst sliding down the road, and yet not be in the way of everything that's supposed to happen back there, like passenger feet, opening or removing the bags, that sort of thing.

The way I see it, the bag is the slider, keeps the lights and cans from gettin' tore up. Done it twice. First time I replaced the bag with insurance money (note reflector on second bag) and the second time, it still looks like that. When I get some spare change I'll send the lid to Gerauld to get it filled and painted.

DSC02697sm.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

There was a thread on this last fall, I think, but I can't find it. After I click Next on Google a few times, it tells me I'm an automated search and not allowed.

Last edited by a moderator:
After reading a couple "Boo hoo, I dropped my bike" posts, I realized it's just a matter of time before it happens to me. We have sliders to help minimize damage to the frame and fairing. Why don't we have sliders for the saddlebags? Something like the little rubber wings on the Honda ST's might not look too bad and provide some minimal protection.
then don't let it fall over, or take the bags off :)

I remove my bags if I'm working on the bike in the garage. They'll also be removed for around-town riding once I get my Poor Man's Smuggler farkle installed. Then the sliders will be the 2nd item impacted by the pavement....The mirrors being the first.

Its also a matter that 'sliders' on the front fairing are actually frame sliders and are suppose to help protect your frame from damage in the event of a get off. The fact that they help protect our fairing in a parking lot tip over is just a happy bonus.

Something to offer token protection to a part worth over $600 each (OEM) is not a bad idea; However, I'm afraid Todd hit it right on the head. It is indeed a "slippery slope" as the photo shows.

OBD

I just saw that, too. Have you compared Euros to dollars, though? OTOH, I don't think we have to pay VAT. Not sure.

You could pop the reflectors off the back if the cases and re-glue them to the front. OjaiRoy did this and it's saved the cases twice. Not so much the reflectors, though.

I'm thinking Cycleport should make some Kevlar mesh lid covers.

Grumpy wants his in Big Bird yellow please.

:)

I had stiff leather bags on my roadstar and dropped it about three times. The bags and floorboards saved everything and popped right out. Could not tell a thing happened. Of course this was just rolling or stopped. I'm old and clumsy.

I just installed these rear sliders from MC Enterprises. I found out about them in the other forum (sadly off the air at the moment).

I just installed these rear sliders from MC Enterprises. I found out about them in the other forum (sadly off the air at the moment).

Holy Zombie thread resurrection!

Those things have been discussed here too.

My problem with those is what happens to the frame where they mount upon a decent impact?

Holy Zombie thread resurrection!

Those things have been discussed here too.

My problem with those is what happens to the frame where they mount upon a decent impact?

Exactly. My guess is that a flop-over at 20 mph (with that crash bar) will bend the rear subframe. Mine flopped on 123 in Arkansas last May, at about that speed, and it sure did a lot of damage. As said above, the bags ARE the (very expensive) sliders.

That reminds me of my '98 SuperHawk. A riding buddy tipped over at a stop sign. Very windy day, +40 mph gusts, he's about 5'5", on a Suzuki TL. Stops at a stop sign, next to me, puts his foot down in some sand, just as a big gust hits. He tips over, and on the way to the pavement, his back brushes down against the side of my Honda fairing. The rubber-mounted turn signal bends enough to mash up against the fairing, and puts a big crack in it. The turn signal itself was fine. Great design for producing bodywork revenue. The $250 fairing piece did a great job of protecting the $12 turn signal. Geez.