Saddlebags- On or Off?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you ride?

• Bags On?

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • Bags Off?

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • My bags come off?

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters
At first I was leaving them home for short runs, but every time I left them home, I ended up wishing I had brought them. Now they stay on 100%

SR-71

Last edited by a moderator:
First 4 months...ALWAYS ON. Just liked the look after coming off a BMW LT with integrated bags...and didn't want to look to much like a crotch rocket.

But now...ALWAYS OFF. I started going bagless due to peer pressure of other local FJR owners who all run w/o bags. Plus I scraped one on a sign pole in

a parking lot trying to squeeze through a tight spot. Now I figure it's better w/o the bags. I haven't had mine back on since I took them off 4 months ago.

Even on a SS1K run. Just a tank bag and a tail bag.

Off

For the same reasons as many. I use a Givi Maxia nearly 100% of the time now, it's just so damn handy, and swallows so much stuff it is amazing. Plus I was starting to ding the saddle bags too much, I only use them on trips now.

On 99% of the time. I have had several owners of cruisers comment on how much more practical they thought the Feejer ws due to the hard bags. Several times I have visited one of our branch offices and found the need to carry something back with me. Not to mention the unplanned stops at the store when the wife calls just before you leave work.

I must add that the bags were one of the major selling points of the bike to start with. The bags to me define the personality of the bike, and taking them off is akin to casteration. ...Yeah it is more "streamlined" but it's "personality" has been neutered.

If I did not like the look of the bags on the bike , or not wish to have them on there, I would have just bought one of the many liter+ sportbikes on the market, (which to me all sorta look alike)

The bags set this bike apart from all those other bikes and do have their advantages.

I rode the bike a few times with them off and the bike felt incomplete and naked to me.

And I still don't care if some folks think it is a BMW............

KM

Off 95% of the time. I daily commute and can put all I need in a tank bag. If I'm going shopping for something, I'll put them on for that.. or for weekend or longer trips. One of the great things about the FJR is it looks just as good with, as it does without the bags.

Taking the bags off takes 20 lbs off the back which helps it handles better, gets a little more mileage out to the tire due to the lighter weight, don't have to worry about nicking the bags in tight areas, etc.

I will, however, concede that with the bags on your less likely to get profiled as a hooligan sport bike rider than without.

I've been in a quandary about this! I like the way it handles without, but bought it for the bags capabilities, even added a trunk(GIVI 52). I've rode lately with all, no bags and just truck, just bags and no trunk, and none! I've come the conclusion that for around town, I like just the truck. For trips, all of course! It's nice to take everything and the kitchen sink! lol

I didn't get the Yamaha rear box after reading that the bike shouldn't be equipped with side bags and rear box at the same time. Am I wrong on this?

Currently running with the side bags, but this is a break-in period. Taking it in for 600 mile service Tuesday. After that I'm going to take the bags off and see if I notice a difference.

I personally like the looks of the bike either way, but I keep them on 95% of the time for many of the reasons mentioned above. I don't have a top box, and rarely use my tankbag--the saddlebags are handy. And if they keep my profile low with local law enforcement... :rolleyes:

Well, I am a Gemini so I run with the left bag on and the right off, that way which ever mood I am in, all I need to do is look at the side of the bike I am wanting to see at the time! I also answer my self when I am talking...no I don't! :blink:

Just pulling your pud, 98% of the time their on!

I didn't get the Yamaha rear box after reading that the bike shouldn't be equipped with side bags and rear box at the same time. Am I wrong on this?

Uh, yeah. I ride with all three boxes (Yamaha top case) all the time...no problems...been on trips with the wife on back and really, the top box is much more handier than the side cases..I can understand why folks run with the top case and not the sides.

Yamaha's line about not using all three at the same time is just protection for liability claims...same as saying you can't load more than X amount of pounds in each bag. They are juse covering their ass. (which is understandable...)

KM

Very interesting and varying opinions from everyone!! I rode around a little today sans bags but I kind of like the idea of bring the topcase along. Mine came with the Givi 56 so that offers a lot of options for me.

What a bummer for me, I guess I will have to go on a long ride in each possible configuration to figure out what I like best... I think I'm ok with that... :rolleyes:

That's just another thing I love about this bike, the versatility!!!

Not to mention the unplanned stops at the store when the wife calls just before you leave work.
I'm on to her tricks - I just don't answer those calls... :)

[SIZE=24pt]GUNNY!![/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]And she knows I dont, a whole year of training. now..... she knows I dont and does not even bother trying to call me when I am with mis feej *looks around to see if she can see him typing this, nope not in sight*[/SIZE]

because I am my own man and I will be home when I dam well get there... WITHOUT a gallon of friggin milk on my bike *looks again while searching for the send button*

The hard bags come off? I thought it was a soft bag discussion...which I never use unless I'm on vacation.

....otherwise, I prefer to keep both of my bags on. Gives the right hand something to do at night time.

I asked the same question a year ago Bags or no Bags It's like deja vu all over again. I still keep mine off most of the time. Check and see if anyone changed their mind.
Damn It!! I swear I searched!! :angry: Oh well, I gues it's a fun topic to revisit annually...... :lol: