Saddlebags- On or Off?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you ride?

• Bags On?

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • Bags Off?

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • My bags come off?

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters
recently the 16 year-old once again parked her car poorly in the driveway. Is it that hard of a concept? Park at the edge of the drive so I can get by! Guess it is for her. I need to "lane split" between her car and my van to get Feej into the garage. I thought I might be able to make it though and took on the challenge. I found out how handy those rubbery side strips are on the side of the bags. Left a mark on my van, but I can rub it out.
paul from Minnesota
Next time she parks wrong, tell her she can't drive the car for a week. Remarkably effective.

This is my wifes normal ride and she always want them on until I informed her it makes her butt look big. So now only on when were traveling overnight.

:yahoo: Bags off except on trips. Part of the reason I bought this bike over the Honda is that it looks great with or without the bags unlike the Honda which is butt ugly without bags.

Mine are always on. I leave my topcase on 95% of the time too. I have the Addmore lighting installed in my Givi E-52. We use the top case more than the sidecases. At least for short trips anyway.

On nearly all the time, ..don't need no steenkeeng topcase, they bees fugly 'speshully by-theyselves! Just for sport, counted it up, ...don't think I did any dupes:

Ons = 59

Offs = 35

1off1on =2

waffles =several

I had one off once to show my mother in law it could be done. I always ride with them for 2 reasons. 1 you never know when you might need them or the emergency stuff in them. 2 they are good camo, i have had 2 people want to run me at stoplights (one a hardly). when you spank them real bad they won't even look at you at the next stop. the other day a punk pulled up next to me on a blinged out r6, he looked at me with a smirk so i asked him why he didn't run square tires. he looked at me like i was from a different planet so i asked him why the outer 1.5 inches of his tires showed no wear but the center was almost bald. suddenly the light has his full attention and he never looked back at me. I'm up to 877 miles so far, the tires aren't wore to the edge yet but I'm working on it. I'm nowhere near a good enough rider to explore this bikes limits and thats what i really like about it. stay conservative and push a little harder every ride.

I always ride with side case and top case on since I carry tools, air compressor, tire repair kit, rain gear etc. in the pannier and never know when I may need them. I actually prefer the looks of the bike with them on anyway.

doctorj

There's several reasons that we don't normally mount the hardbags and satisfied to use the magnetic tank bag.

Theft is a big problems in my area. I don't use my side bags unless its for an overnight trip when we can take the luggage inside the room with us.

If there was an accident (hopefully minor) there would just be additional unnecessary damage.

They wife has trouble throwing her foot (boot) completely over the bags making them vulnerable to striking with her heels and leaving marks.

And finally, with the bags on I would not be able to 'sneak' around three cars, a camper, another bike, and a lawnmower in a single lane driveway! LOLs

Last edited by a moderator:
Experience hear in this State of Australia - Panniers On: pulled over by Police twice a year on average Panniers Off: pulled over and booked four times a year. Talking with the coppers it appears that with the Panniers On they think that your a Cruiser and ok but Panniers OFF you are considered a Sports Bike and deserved to be BOOKED. So for me it always PANNIERS ON to keep your licence

Last edited by a moderator: