Sargent Seat Fitment

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikk

Reaction score
I recently purchased my second Sargent produce, the first was a seat for my Honda ST1300. The things I'm questioning about my FJR Sargent seat:

1. The seat pan feels very flexible compared to my ST1300 product and the stock seat pan. This is a difficult thing to quantify in a post. With the seat installed in the high position on the FJR the pan will flex and bow when I lean downward on it. Call it maybe a 80 pound load.

2. To latch the front seat I really have to lean on the seat to activate the latch. I'll estimate this at an580 bound load.

3. Again, in the high position the top edge of the seat wings (those side extensions that wrap the sides of the tank) press up against the plastic around the tank. Basically, the plastic around the tank creates a cut-out are for the seat wings. The top edge of these wings is pressed against the perimeter of the cut-out created by the molded plastic piece.

Sorry, I know a picture would be really good here but I'm on business travel and no where near my FJR.

I would appreciate opservations from other Sargent seat owners before I execute a warrenty claim, which will take months I'm sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
nikk,

i too had a very hard time getting the sargent seat to latch. it must be lined up perfectly over the passenger seat locating holes. it took me several tries to get the seat to fall into position. now i can set it and it falls into the latch with a very slight push.

it took me getting used to how the seat "fits" the bike to get it to work properly.

first gens don't have the height adjustment feature. so i cant help about the flexing issue.

cadman

I recently bought a Gen II Sargeant seat from a forum member for my 2008 FJR. No problems at all with fitment. It was used, and maybe the original owner made some adjustments, but when I got it, it fit right in, no problems.

I had one until recently and if fit fine even with a smuggler, No flex and no problems with the fit.

R

I recently bought a Gen II Sargeant seat from a forum member for my 2008 FJR. No problems at all with fitment. It was used, and maybe the original owner made some adjustments, but when I got it, it fit right in, no problems.

did you like the seat did you do any long rides on it

did you like the seat did you do any long rides on it

Yes, I like the seat. I had a Sargeant on my previous '04 also, and liked it. The 2nd Gen seat is definitely an improvement for me over the stocker.

My Sargent doesn't seem to flex when under pressure. It does rub on the tank plastic though. There is some wear on the platic after about 20,000 miles but it's under the seat and not noticable. The latch was a bit difficult intially but is really not a big deal now. Set in the high position, and much better than stock for comfort.

I might have been too critical of the seat pan flex. The Sargent pan definitely isn't as stiff as the stock pan, but doesn't flex enough to bottom out on the subframe or my electronics below the seat. It flexes enough to open a small gap between the front and read section. I attached a length of foam tape on the rear of the front seat and sealed that nicely.