Sargent seat report.........

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunk43

Reaction score
Sargent seat should arrive tomorrow or Thursday, fingers crossed......
Got the seat and rode about 120 miles this seat is much better than stock and has more of a scooped out seating area and its a little firm.

I'm hoping it gets even better with some break in time.

One reason I had to get away from the stock seat is because of some severe tail bone pain I have been having, I have seen a back Doc and xray shows nothing so I will have a MIR done on the 25th. Till then I will ride this Sargent seat as much as my tail bone will allow.

Got the seat and rode about 120 miles this seat is much better than stock and has more of a scooped out seating area and its a little firm.

One reason I had to get away from the stock seat is because of some severe tail bone pain I have been having, I have seen a back Doc and xray shows nothing so I will have a MIR done on the 25th. Till then I will ride this Sargent seat as much as my tail bone will allow.
I'm still satisfied with my Sargent after 5,000 miles.

I too, am happy with this seat. My thoughts are that it is comfortable enough for up to 12 hour days in the saddle. And it's not so restrictive, still allows some weight shifting in the twisties.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a Sergeant from a forum member recently and am finding it to be better than both my original seat and the Corbin I've been using for 2 years. It's a great quality seat.

Gary

darksider #44

i put about 86,000 miles on my '08 with a Sargent, took it off the '08, and installed it on the '13...got about 3600 miles on it on the new bike..I'd say 2 thumbs up!!
punk.gif

Yes the OEM seat is angled up too much in the back causing extra pressure on the tail bone, I really noticed it when I put my feet on the ground at stops. I now have a Rich's and RDL.
punk.gif

I really like the shape of the Sargent although I've not had the opportunity to ride one. I fashioned my seat on my 06 to resemble a cross between the Sargent and a Russell Daylong saddle in 2007 with good success. You can say what you want about stock seats but they don't meet the quality needed for proper comfort and support IMHO. I'm dealing with chronic arthritis and seating on a bike is a big deal for me. Hope the new Sargent gives you many comfortable miles and enjoyment. Painman.

Last edited by a moderator:

MRI .......

I just bought a Sargent from a forum member - looking forward to trying it out compared to stock.

Not that the stock is bad (compared to my Ducati Monster stock seat which had me uncomfortable after 20 miles) ...

I just bought a Sargent from a forum member - looking forward to trying it out compared to stock.
Not that the stock is bad (compared to my Ducati Monster stock seat which had me uncomfortable after 20 miles) ...

Well, the Sargent arrived this afternoon. I put the seat on the bike and took for a test ride ...

Mmmm - different from stock. I'll need to think about it a little.

On the plus side, it is more comfortable while riding. Nice support across upper thighs, butt, hips and tail bone. Looks good on the bike too - flatter and the silver piping looks great.

On the negative, it is wider when stopped (I have narrow hips and I'm only 5' 8" so I do feel a difference when legs astride trying to flat foot.

Also, it puts me a few inches further back than stock which means I can't reach the bars as easily. On the stock I tended to ride smooched right up to the tank, Sargent won't let me do that.

If I keep the seat I think a set of bar raisers is in my future.

Riona, have you already moved the bars all the way back? I only ask since I know you have not had the bike very long, did you know that the bars have 3 positions and are delivered in the center position? The job is much easier than you would think and there is a very good "how to" thread on this forum.

I have the Sargent on my Honda ST1300 and while it is not the answer to an Iron Butt rider's prayers it is leaps and bounds ahead of the stock seat. The one for the FJR seems to be shaped a little better IMO, almost like a mini RDL.

Riona, have you already moved the bars all the way back? I only ask since I know you have not had the bike very long, did you know that the bars have 3 positions and are delivered in the center position? The job is much easier than you would think and there is a very good "how to" thread on this forum.
I have the Sargent on my Honda ST1300 and while it is not the answer to an Iron Butt rider's prayers it is leaps and bounds ahead of the stock seat. The one for the FJR seems to be shaped a little better IMO, almost like a mini RDL.
Yes - did that this afternoon, but then it started raining (this IS Seattle) so I haven't yet been on a test ride with the Sargent and the bars moved back ... maybe tomorrow

Can anyone tell me if there's much improvement in passenger comfort with this seat?
The passenger portion is streets ahead of stock - and comes with a nifty backrest ...

I purchased a Sargent about two years ago, and agree it is much better than stock. For longer trips I use an airhawk small cruiser pad and an Alaskan Sheepskin buttpad, size medium. With the Sargent seat it is probably better to order the airhawk medium cruiser pad, as the rear of the Sargent is wider than stock. This set up is good for 700 mile days, for me.

Anyway, somebody will probably chime in and say you could just buy a Russell and be done with it. Yeah............I know.

Anyway, somebody will probably chime in and say you could just buy a Russell and be done with it. Yeah............I know.
I understand. I don't care how wonderful it is, it's not for me. I'm just hopeful the Sargent will add some comfort to my wife.
I bet it will, on the rare occasions that my wife rides with me (she likes to ride her own), I throw on a rear Corbin seat (with a back rest), that a forum member gave me. It is more comfortable and offers security with the back rest. It is also a lot heavier than the stocker. When riding Solo I keep the stock rear installed.

Good Luck!