Satellite Radio for GPS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flying junior

Reaction score
I just bought a Zumo GPS and notice that I can buy an attachment to play satellite radio through it.

I notice in another thread that users who have opted for this setup like the way it works, so I'm about to go for it.

But I already have XM in my car, which doesn't get used much. The satellite radio would be much more useful on my feejer. Does anyone have any words of wisdom on going about such a switcheroo? I don't see it mentioned on the XM website.

Also, I notice that XM advertises (what's with all these ads? I thought there were no commercials on satellite radio.) that you can subscribe to a "Best of Sirius" package. Has anyone gone for this? Sirius has NFL games and Howard Stern and probably a hundred or two channels just like XM's. Checking the XM website, I find that I can add this half-dozen or so Sirius channels for about the same price as I'm now paying for the whole XM package. But XM's marketing is so dysfunctional I can't really find any package offers. Anyone have any success here?

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as switching, you just buy the Zumo compatible antenna (which houses the XM radio tuner) and give XM customer service the new radio number (on the bottom of the antenna) and tell them you want to swap out the service from existing to new and viola, you're done.

As for the "best of Sirrus" channels, I am very disappointed in both XM and the feds. When they were applying for the merger, they promised increased service with no increase in cost, but that's not what's happening and I think it's BS.

As far as switching, you just buy the Zumo compatible antenna (which houses the XM radio tuner) and give XM customer service the new radio number (on the bottom of the antenna) and tell them you want to swap out the service from existing to new and viola, you're done.
As for the "best of Sirrus" channels, I am very disappointed in both XM and the feds. When they were applying for the merger, they promised increased service with no increase in cost, but that's not what's happening and I think it's BS.

Thanks for the tip.

I don't know how Sirius operates, but XM isn't being run very well at all. Their marketing is a dud. The first thing a salesman learns is, "Don't forget to ask for the order." These guys were taking a smoke out on the fire escape when that topic came up.

I have xm with my 2730 also have the best of sirius for the NFL. Love it. Don't bother with the weather unless you can get the satelitte image weather.

Thanks for the tip.

I don't know how Sirius operates, but XM isn't being run very well at all. Their marketing is a dud. The first thing a salesman learns is, "Don't forget to ask for the order." These guys were taking a smoke out on the fire escape when that topic came up.

As far as switching radios you just call & have one shut off & the other activated, very easy & painless. I buy $10 radios off ebay & just replace if a problem occurs - I have 2 backups on the shelf . . . . I'm sirius about this ! $10 vs Garmin - no brainer for me, but I'm use to no brain . . . .

I have used the ZUMO 550 for the past 2 years and have been very happy with it. I have used it on all four of my bikes (including a recent trip to New York on my FJR. I use it in my car and truck occasionally, and the bluetooth works really well with my phone.

I bought the XM satellite receiver for the 550 last year, and it works well too. It is pricey, but after considerable research I found that it to be the only way to use satellite radio with the 550 (at the time I purchased it, I don't know if there are other options available now). I have also taken the 550 and XM receiver to Mexico on a sailboat and the XM satellite radio worked well there.

As far as your questions regarding Sirius Radio programs, just last week the XM/Sirius merger was completed and I have been able to get the Sirius channels on my XM with no problems and no extra charges.

As far as your questions regarding Sirius Radio programs, just last week the XM/Sirius merger was completed and I have been able to get the Sirius channels on my XM with no problems and no extra charges.
How does that work? I've been a Sirius customer for 4 years. I recently added the Xm feature to my ZUMO and I dont get Sirius on there. Not for FREE! I did call both Sirius and XM and was told that there is a package "Best of Sirius" That can be added to my XM subscription for and additional $6.95 per month. No choice of channels either, just the package as it comes. Howard Stern, Martha Stewart and a few others that they consider to be the best. Are you getting all the Sirius channels and for free. How much is your Monthy or Annual bill? Im guessing you paid for it and dont realize it.

There was just a MAJOR channel lineup change on XM. I know because I just lost my favorite channel, X-Country (or Cross Country as we call it). I was pretty pissed about it, but am still looking through all the other new ones. I am liking the newly added Grateful Dead channel though.

And in response to your question about commercials, XM is still "commercial-free" on their MUSIC channels. Other channels, including news, talk-radio, comedy channels, etc. are NOT commercial-free.

Here's a link to the complete channel lineup, including the new ones: LINK

I found a garmin 2730 refurbished unit that come with the xm antenna for 170.00, sold the gps for 100, I really like the antenna better than the roady or sportscaster, sound quality is better, like menus on screen on my zumo

I just bought a Zumo GPS and notice that I can buy an attachment to play satellite radio through it.
I notice in another thread that users who have opted for this setup like the way it works, so I'm about to go for it.

But I already have XM in my car, which doesn't get used much. The satellite radio would be much more useful on my feejer. Does anyone have any words of wisdom on going about such a switcheroo? I don't see it mentioned on the XM website.

Also, I notice that XM advertises (what's with all these ads? I thought there were no commercials on satellite radio.) that you can subscribe to a "Best of Sirius" package. Has anyone gone for this? Sirius has NFL games and Howard Stern and probably a hundred or two channels just like XM's. Checking the XM website, I find that I can add this half-dozen or so Sirius channels for about the same price as I'm now paying for the whole XM package. But XM's marketing is so dysfunctional I can't really find any package offers. Anyone have any success here?

Don't forget to add XM NavTraffic service to your Zumo subscription. This includes rudimentary weather data as well. I have used the traffic data in my home town to avoide some serious traffic jams. Ever since they started broadcasting Sirius content I have been digging Channel 58 (E Street Radio) and 59 (Little Steven's Underground Garage.) Last month I was glued to POTUS 08, the election channel. When you're on those long rides and need something to keep you mentally alert, XM is a great thing to have. I don't listen to my MP3s very often any more.

I've had sirius for years and Love that Stern is on there. I've had XM for a couple of months now on the ZUMO. Sirius, in my opinion has better programming and DJs. Serious is cheaper also. The package offers from XM suck pricewise and your right, if you want BEST OF SIRIUS its expensive. $6.95 a month for just the few channels. I like Howard but Im not going to dish out another 7 bucks a month to hear him. As it is I can hear him in the car and I stream sirius at work on my pc and hear him. XM is not all commercial free music either. Most of there music channels are commercial free but thre are a few that do play commercials and not just XM commercials, real commercials. I think thats a rip. Sirius has all commercial free music channels. I wish that the Zumo came compatable for sirius instead of XM. XM did pick up a few good channels from Sirius that are free so thats cool.

Two questions:

1. What GPS models offer satellite weather imaging?

2. What headset are you using to get good quality stereo and the ability to communicate with a passenger? The ability to recieve phone calls would be super nice as well.

Thx,

Eric

Yeah, and while we are inventing the wheel again, could some share or point me to comments on where they mounted the antannae. I did a google and FJR Forum search, but found little reference. I know there must have been many discussions on this. Mostly what I found was related to cutting and splicing the cable shorter. thanks

Yeah, and while we are inventing the wheel again, could some share or point me to comments on where they mounted the antannae. I did a google and FJR Forum search, but found little reference. I know there must have been many discussions on this. Mostly what I found was related to cutting and splicing the cable shorter. thanks
I just got the Garmin XM antenna and want to know where to mount it. I found nothing in my searches except someone who said they mounted in in the left fairing next to the glove box. This is contrary to the instructions for the GXM30 which says to mount it where it has a clear view of the sky. At EOM, I saw someone had mounted theirs (with sticky tape or velcro?) to the top of their clutch reservoir. For me, this is not possible since I have an AE. I guess I could go with the brake reservoir instead. An alternative is to allow it to stick to the tank since it has a magnet but does anyone know if this magnet is strong enough when you hit bumps, etc? Also, for the velcro route, do you have to get special velcro with water-proof adhesive?

I put mine under the rear tail section...the thin plastic cover keeps it stealth and does not obstruct the signal. Loud and clear.

I made a shelf for it to sit on and it tucks in perfectly between the rear seat and the bracket.

DSC01758.png

I just got the Garmin XM antenna and want to know where to mount it. I found nothing in my searches except someone who said they mounted in in the left fairing next to the glove box. This is contrary to the instructions for the GXM30 which says to mount it where it has a clear view of the sky. At EOM, I saw someone had mounted theirs (with sticky tape or velcro?) to the top of their clutch reservoir. For me, this is not possible since I have an AE. I guess I could go with the brake reservoir instead. An alternative is to allow it to stick to the tank since it has a magnet but does anyone know if this magnet is strong enough when you hit bumps, etc? Also, for the velcro route, do you have to get special velcro with water-proof adhesive?
I use a Skyway GXM-30 reservoir mount for my antenna. In spite of his other problems, most Skyway items appear to be shipping promptly.

The mount can go on either reservoir. The mount bolts to the reservoir, and the GXM-30 bolts to the mount - there is no velcro involved.

GXM30%20medium.JPG