Satellite Radio Recommendation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shagomatic

Reaction score
I am considering adding a satellite radio to my 08 FJR.. I search the forum and found a recommendation for the Harley model but cannot find it for sale anymore.. Does anyone have a specific model they would recommend. I plan on routing it through my Starcom.

Thanks,

Shagomatic

I opted to order a Delphi Roady 2 (from eBay) which is an older model but about the size of an iPod. Will post pictures when I get it mounted/installed.

If anyone has any experience with it, I would certainly like to hear about it.

Shag

I have XM Satellite Radio as part of my Zumo 665 which is fed through a Starcom1 Digital system. I have been working through a few bugs to get everything working properly but the radio and GPS functions worked perfectly on my recent trip to NERDS after I stopped using my custom molded Big Ear earpieces and went back to my ER6's.

Personally I cannot recommend the Big Ear BE-1C plugs. I just got them back from the supplier after I sent them back for some repair work and they lasted less than two weeks before I had exactly the same problem. I'm very careful not to tug on the wires to remove them and clean them after every use. They are very comfortable but since I can't change the filters every time a filter plugs it needs to go back to the shop for repairs. I am giving up on them.

Any of the XM compatible GPS units should give a similar experience for the radio function. I use a Streetpilot 2830 with XM, and also route the phone through Bluetooth to the GPS and use it as part of an Autocom system. Newer Zumo units do mostly the same thing for a good bit more money.

I opted to order a Delphi Roady 2 (from eBay) which is an older model but about the size of an iPod. Will post pictures when I get it mounted/installed.

Shag
I use the Roady on my Autocom. My wife uses it in her office during the week and we put it on the bike for our rides. I have a small Pelican case that I modified to be able to plug in the wires. I installed a cigarette plug on the top of the pelican case to plug in the power adapter. The whole setup goes into my tank bag. I did notice that the volume was very loud when plugged into my autocom. I could not find a way to turn down the audio output. It made the autocom clip the volume on the audio so the volume would bounce up and down. I have since purchased a small stereo inline volume control so I can adjust it.

I simply used the automotive antenna and velcrowed it to the top of my break fluid reservoir. The wife was very pleased with it on our vacation. The pelican case is not necessary. It is no longer waterproof but since the tank bag isn't waterproof the case gives thr Roady some protection and keeps everything together.

I have had the XM radio fed through my garmin GPS....I wont deal with the stupid portable XM radios for cars ever again. The XM portable radios are small, most of them the buttons are hard to use with gloves on and are not water proof. The XM radio fed through a garmin GPS is waterproof, clean becasue its your GPS and XM in one unit and the display is toughscreen soeasy to operate with the gloves. I have had several 2730 units and a few zumo 550 units done this way on different bikes. I love it. I have a brand new zumo 665 I am about to put on the FJR. The 665 unit includes the antenna. If you are on a budget and dont want to spend that much money, look for a used 2730 on ebay or craigslist (not a 2720, same unit but no XM capability. I almpost forgot to mention these units also have a built in MP3 player so when signal goes bad in the forest...just switch over to the mp3's...GREAT...best farkle money can buy.

Shag
I've been using a Roady 2 for over 5 years and many miles now. I have it sitting on top of an electrified tank bag, routed through a mix-it and then into custom earplug speakers, or helmet speakers via an Autocom. The unit works well and the buttons are large enough to use with gloves. The antenea sits on the front brake mount.

It's survived a ton of dust and dirt and even a little rain. I do cover the unit when riding through anything more than some sprinkles. The volume is adjustable at the unit so no problem leveling it with other audio sources. Another feature I like are the 30 presets. This unit is a great inexpensive way to get XM on your bike, you just need to keep it out of the rain.

I got my Delphi Roady 2 installed and working. I have it routed through my Starcom and it works better than I expected. I was even able to set the backlight to match the instrumental panel... Pictures below..

3bfca83c.jpg

1228b3b7.jpg

Shag

Similar to my setup. Still curious about the cig lighter plug in (see other thread).

I've got two 2730's but haven't set up the XM for either one. Doesn't that take another subscription? I alreay have two, one for me, one for wifey, for the cars. I'd hate to shell out another $100 when I don't use my bike enough. In the summer here is often sits for weeks.

That would be +$300 to those theives