Saw the 06 at Motorcycle Show in Atlanta

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calabash

Reaction score
I did not have my camera available so no pics, sorry.

First the heat adjustments:

There are vents next to the headlights almost like gills on a fish that push the air through to the vents under the instuments. The inside vents are not adjustable. The gas tank has rubber spacers that have it sit about a 1/2 inch away from the frame. The windshield sits about 2 inches away from the fairing, don't know if this is different than previous models.

Just read a report from a French magazine:

According to French magazine Moto Journal, that has made a comparative road test between the 05 and 06 model in their last issue, the 06 FJR reveals less retaking speed capacity [sorry about my English, I hope you can understand this] mainly at lower engine rpm (probably due to the higher weight), some vibrations, a worse gas millage and, yes, less wind buffeting.

The 06A does not have self-cancelling turn signals, I thought I read somewhere that it did. I did not look on the AE to see if it was self cancelling.

The amber light at lower right hand corner of the Multi-function display screen is the engine trouble warning light. (I down-loaded the owner's manual from the Yamaha website to get this information, NOT from the workers at the show!)

The throttle did not appear easy to turn compared to some of the others bikes I sat on. It seemed to have more tension than the others.

The help there appeared disinterested in either answering questions or displaying the bikes to the people around it. They stated they were not allowed to open up the seat to show how to raise it up and down. (your can now down-load the 06 owners manual from Yamaha website and it shows in there) They did not have the keys to open up the side bags and acted like it was a pain to even try. This guy had a bunch of keys but none worked, at that point I just walked away disgusted. I probably would have been even more disappointed/angry if I had not been warned ahead of time about the indifference and lack of knowledge these teenagers had at the show.

They (the Yamaha workers) did not know if the the shocks or the cans were the same as before.

Overall I was impressed with the bike and disappointed about the indifference of the Yamaha staff. Someone here said that Yamaha reads our comments here, if so, you might want to improve how your staff interaction with it's customers, you probably lost some sales due to the incompetence of the TEENAGERS you sent to represent such wonderful bikes.

+ 1 on the throttle being stiffer than other bikes I have tried.

+ 50 gazillion on the indifference of the reps

I did get the seat and bags off with pics check my post later today

Last edited by a moderator:
Calabash wrote:

"Just read a report from a French magazine:

According to French magazine Moto Journal, that has made a comparative road test between the 05 and 06 model in their last issue, the 06 FJR reveals less retaking speed capacity [sorry about my English, I hope you can understand this] mainly at lower engine rpm (probably due to the higher weight), some vibrations, a worse gas millage and, yes, less wind buffeting."

:angry: :angry:

This is not nice. You just copied and pasted this from a post I wrote to another forum. What's yours, man?!

miguel21op

Calabash wrote:

According to French magazine Moto Journal, that has made a comparative road test between the 05 and 06 model in their last issue, the 06 FJR reveals less retaking speed capacity [sorry about my English, I hope you can understand this] mainly at lower engine rpm (probably due to the higher weight), some vibrations, a worse gas millage and, yes, less wind buffeting."

:angry:   :angry:

This is not nice. You just copied and pasted this from a post I wrote to another forum. What's yours, man?!

miguel21op
Sorry Miguel,

I was just trying to pass on the information you gave. :erm:

I went to the Magazine from the link you posted but I can't read French so thanks for the translation and sorry for using your words.

Calabash wrote:

miguel21op
[SIZE=27pt]CRIPPLE FIGHT!!!!![/SIZE]

:haha:

Calabash - you're dead-on regarding the incompetence of the Yamaha staff. It seemed to be a mixture of local dealer employees and inexperienced Yamaha "first year staff"... However, there was one older guy from Yamaha who seemed to know his way around the FJR pretty well. He was able to answer most of my questions (at least the more basic ones). I was glad he was there.

I was also not impressed with the Yamaha people in Atlanta. One of the guys in the booth was telling me that the FJR was just introduced into the US in 04....Duh... He looked pretty confused when i told him i rode an 03.

I thought the people in the BMW booth seamed a little more on their game. I have to say the seat on the BMW is not comfortable at all.