SCAB DOWN!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The front only will give you about 90% of what a very skilled and non-panicking rider might achieve with best use of both brakes.
In any case, stand the bike up to brake as hard as you can (as you did), then release the brakes and aggressively counter-steer to get back into the corner.
Oh, I was up to my eyeballs in front brake too. The "smack down" actually came from the front wash-out when the tire ran out of pavement and hit the frost-riddled pine straw and crap. I have wondered if the side of the road had not been frosted and piled deep with loose stuff if we would still have gone down. I would have still been off the road, but maybe upright. But when the frosty crap came, man, that smack down was fast! Picture sitting on your bike, then being broadsided by a pro football linebacker at full speed. As Emerill would say, BAM! I was on the ground thinking: This sucks.

Oh, I was up to my eyeballs in front brake too. The "smack down" actually came from the front wash-out when the tire ran out of pavement and hit the frost-riddled pine straw and crap. I have wondered if the side of the road had not been frosted and piled deep with loose stuff if we would still have gone down. I would have still been off the road, but maybe upright. But when the frosty crap came, man, that smack down was fast! Picture sitting on your bike, then being broadsided by a pro football linebacker at full speed. As Emerill would say, BAM! I was on the ground thinking: This sucks.
Loose stuff sucks. When I hit that sand in a corner on my DRZ, there was no time for me to correct anything, I barely had time to tuck my head into the roll.

glad you didn't get beat up to bad, remember any landing you can walk away from is a good one.

Scab, it might have been a traumatic experience... but look what it did for your looks! You photograph much better now!

:bleh:

IMO: Ol'Scab was trying to keep up with JeffAshe who was on brand new Stradas and was really getting it. (Attn: Admins, promptly change his user name to "HaulinAshe")
Ooooooo... Me likey MUCH!!!

Can I have it? Can I? Can I? Huh, huh??? Pleeeezzzz?

:D

P.S. I have a great-uncle named Jack. Yeah that's right. We Ashe(s) usually don't get cool nicknames!
NO WAY.......Heidi has already named you correctly as Squidward! Whoever said 9/10ths can quickly become 11/10ths is so right! Those downhill, off camber turns are real trouble makers aren't they Jeff?

jim

It was Hwy-60, heading northwest from the intersection with Hwy-180. We had just left the store at the intersection and were about ten minutes up Hwy-60. The section began as a left-hander that rolled into a very abrupt right-hander, all slightly downhill. There was no pocket for the right-hander and if you did not kill off your speed before entering the turn, the ass-end of the bike was going to unload.
IMHO it was one of those turns where you either read it ahead of time, or suffer the consequences after the fact. I don't think "technique" or "timing" would get you through the screw-up.

Ashe's Law #2: Forethought is like foreplay, you never get enough.
Aha! So you knew the road and LED him into the trap....... :rolleyes: J/K! Scab already admitted his bike was warning him to slow down and he ignored it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to make Jeff a license plate frame that says "if you can read this you should probably slow down".

Scab, it might have been a traumatic experience... but look what it did for your looks! You photograph much better now! :bleh:

Your wife is hot, scab. Hot, hot, hot.
Yes, the avatar has changed due to popular demand. I can't find the other pic of her that I used before. I think it was on the laptop that I fried. This pic is a little older, from her modeling days.

Yes, I am married to a former model! You may can ride better than me, but I married her! Eat your hearts out!

Yes, the avatar has changed due to popular demand. I can't find the other pic of her that I used before. I think it was on the laptop that I fried. This pic is a little older, from her modeling days.Yes, I am married to a former model! You may can ride better than me, but I married her! Eat your hearts out!
Scab,

I don't think any of us hounds are interested in MARRYING her! You can have that job.

:D :) :D ;)

Enjoy the ride brother. You deserve it. I'm pretty sure after meeting you that we both have had enough "accidents" in life to be owed some good fortune.

Jeff

I'm going to make Jeff a license plate frame that says "if you can read this you should probably slow down".
You guys are giving me so much new material. I haven't been this happy in months.

I think I'll buy a GoldWing and go hang with the Harley neighbors, just to shake this reputation.

Hiway 60 north of 180 has plenty of curves that can bite you,especially if you're not familiar with the road.

Did you guys hit 180 at all.It's a killer road to, no pun intended and will also bite.

Hiway 60 north of 180 has plenty of curves that can bite you,especially if you're not familiar with the road.Did you guys hit 180 at all.It's a killer road to, no pun intended and will also bite.
I can tell you exactly where we were, If someone can tell me how to recal the data from the gps

Hiway 60 north of 180 has plenty of curves that can bite you,especially if you're not familiar with the road.Did you guys hit 180 at all.It's a killer road to, no pun intended and will also bite.
Yes, we did hit 180, but it was no joy. Way too much wet and possibly frozen areas. Plus the winter light is harsh with tons of stripes shining through barren treas. Makes the road almost impossible to read, especially for us old farts with crappy vision, color blindness, cataracts, ED... Ooops TMI!

Anyway, we rode 180 but had to throttle down and behave so much that it was not much fun. This past weekend was definitely the weekend for sweepers in the open sun. We managed to do some long stretches on 60 where you could see close to a half mile ahead, that had two or three tight sweepers in plain view. There's nothing like entry at triple digits. Ooops, TMI again! Sorry!!!

:)

the curve of Hwy 60 address (according to mapsource) if there was a house there would be 4342 hwy 60.

Close to Baker Creek Road

If I am doing the gps thing correctly.

the curve of Hwy 60 address (according to mapsource) if there was a house there would be 4342 hwy 60.Close to Baker Creek Road

If I am doing the gps thing correctly.
Editing my post. Using 4342 SR-60, Suches, GA, points me to the spot using MS Streets.

Good call Fencer.