Scala Rider

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kootenayguy

Reaction score
Our chatterbox systesm I think are toast. We were riding all day in heavy rain and I think that ruined my wifes' set. Was not really happy with Chatterbox (its the model with the 5 mile range, on the prairies), they were not clear, one died under warantee, bulky. To be fair, I have now realized that I did not need all the features it offered and have noticed both chatterbox models and scala rider with ranges of 500 yards. What experiance have people had with these types of systems?

I won't be able to tell you until spring. I just picked up a Scala Q2 teamset, but I'll be getting it for Christmas. ;)

I have the original Scala Rider (no intercom), and I've been very pleased with it. It's worked great for what it was designed for (mostly phone use and gps input). It's been on two different helmets over, oh let me guess 5 years, in all kinds of weather on all kinds of rides and has never had a hiccup. It adjusts well to wind noise. I've never had a problem hearing or being heard at any speed even while wearing earplugs. Pairs easily with devices. That reliability & functionality is why I jumped on the Q2 when I decided I needed an intercom (younger son is learning to ride).

The downside: sucks big for music, but this was the one speaker version. I don't think the Q2 will be much better at that -- that version has two speakers but doesn't do Bluetooth stereo (the Scala G4 does). I'm certainly hoping the Q2's speakers have a better dynamic range, but I didn't check. Also, the ring tone from the phone is too quiet. I usually miss incoming calls (which, quite frankly, doesn't really bother me).

Best thing about the Q2 at the moment, which someone posted in a different thread, is that newenough has them at closeout prices right now -- $90 for one and $160 for two. Add in one of their 10% off coupons and you get a couple of pretty reliable systems for pretty darn cheap.

The newenough deal

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Q2 Teamset.

It works as advertised. Battery life is great. Rider to rider range is at least 1/4 mile line of sight, if not more. Speakers are not awesome but functional. People on the other end of the phone don't know I am on my bike due to highly effective noise canceling. Even the FM radio works decently.

I did a speakerectomy on mine, and soldered in a headphone jack. So now I use mine with a pair of Skullcandy TiTans with Comply Buds. That mod makes the Q2 absolutely excellent in my humble opinion...

I've used Q2 for one season with very good results. The audio quality was excellent at all speeds and, as tmc pointed out, people didn't know I was on the bike while I was talking to them. My friend just bought the latest Scala (G4?) and says they're much worse. He's having issues with a lot of static while going over 55mph.

Q2 will ring through the helmet speakers.
Cool. :thumbsup:

I guess to be specific, I should note that the original Scala Rider rings through the speaker, it's just too quiet to hear through earplugs and the volume control doesn't affect the ringtone. But as gripes go, that's on the weenie side.

My .02

I ran a Scala Rider Teamset for a couple years....let's say I "fought" with it. I think they're a step above the Chatterbox system....but just barely. I tried the Chatterboxes, too. The brand new bluetooth model. What a toy! I went through 2 sets that failed miserably, one right out of the box, the second after 2 days so I took them back to CycleGear for a refund. It cost me $500 to use those as an intercom set-up since I had to buy 2.

The Scala went back to the factory once. Working with their Customer No-Service was a very frustrating experience. I got it back, supposedly fixed, and never reinstalled it. They were that much of a pain in the ass to deal with. I'm done with it. I should sell it, I guess....wanna buy it?! :clapping:

I bought an Autocom and haven't looked back. Just a little bit more coin but you're done. Excellent piece of real electronic equipment....not a toy. I'm hard-wired into the FJR now with intercom, radar detector, gps, mp3, XM Nav/Traffic/Wx, and bluetooth for phone. Anytime I need to add something, I call Keith at Tulsa truck Center (Autocom Guru) and he ships it to me that day. I have not had one single problem with it since new (2 years), now.

TD - so the total price of your Autocomm is? $600? Each

I would totally go with Autocomm - even thought of getting one to use at times when I don't need B2B for the wife - but the cost is several orders of magnitude higher than the Q2, especially given the smoking deal available at NewEnough.

I do agree, that the cost is no object and I don't mind wires choice is clearly Autocomm (or Starcom). But most of us will make a decision to go with a less robust setup that is far more wallet friendly.

I paid $275 for the Active-Duo set which set up rider/pillion with intercom, gps, and mp3.

Another $75 for the 1273 Bluetooth dongle which linked my cell phone.

Then another $35 for an adapter to connect my Passport 9500i GPS/Radar Detector unit into the system. Now, I plug my helmet in and turn on the ignition & GPS and that's it!

The system clamps to the left side edge of the helmet shell between the liner collar and the shell itself and from that, the mike boom runs forward, inside along the chinbar. The earpiece leads are run through the helmet liner to their respective sides. The "brain", which snaps on the attached mechanism, is removable for charging/storage while the mount/mike remain attached.

I had the Q2's and they suck for music and lack a bit of volume. Good intercom. I upgraded to the G4 and is has much more punch and is good for music (not great). Bike to bike range is somewhat better with the G4 but not as much as they claim. Go with 1/4 mile plus, line of sight. I have heard of a couple with static (not mine), you can upgrade the firmware with the USB port on the G4's. Sometimes you have to do a reset if it starts getting finicky with the bluetooth, otherwise fine.

Nothing like an Autocom, but wired. Speakers aren't great on my old Active Duo, don't know what the new generation are like. I may go back to wired because I want to incorporate FRS/GMRS radios.

Based on the comments in this thread and the limits of my wallet and sensibility, I just snagged 2 of the Q2 units from New Enough. I think they will do exactly what I need. I have a riding buddy that has these and he says they work great.

I can image that having the mic boom inside the helmet would make communications very clear. I assume the system is voice activated? All I want is the ability to talk to the other bike, maybe someday have a gps so being able to connect to that would be a good thing. Getting back to the mic boom, does it talk up a lot of room in the helmet?

The mic boom isn't that big. I can hit it with my lips if I try to, but I don't try to so it's fine.

The system has VOX. I activate it by shouting or making other "loud noise". It's not so sensitive that wind noise activates it, but if it somehow gets in the direct wind stream it will activate. Keep it in the chin bar, and it's fine.

When I use my GPS I connect via wire. It's just easier that way. If you are just using the speakers that come with it, I highly recommend putting a Boostaroo between the GPS and the headset. Makes a massive difference.

Sound quality isn't gonna be great on any of these units, unless you remove the speakers and wire in a headphone jack (so you can use earbuds). There are too many compromises being made to keep SQ at a high level, so I'd be looking for "acceptable" only. IMO, when I was just using the speakers, it was "acceptable". Now, with the buds, it's "grrrrrrrrreat"! :yahoo:

When I began to find a need for Bike to Bike Communicators, the group I used to ride with (10 years ago) was using the "simplest version of the Chatterbox helmet mounted radios, the Plus X. These were the 2 channel variety and were simple enough with a clear signal up to about .5 miles, Microphones used to pick up air static at speeds over 65 but with a push to talk button, it kept the intermittent wind noise down. These were before Blue tooth so the wiring of the microphones was always a challenge as I always use a Modular helmet. Gave up on the Chatterbox a couple of years ago and went to hand signals. It's more fun that way anyways. :lol:

Take a look at the Midland BT2D set (rider/passenger). Costco has it online for $190 delivered. I bought it at amazon for $160. Dont know if that price is still around. They sell it at my local yami dealer for $400/set. I am very satisfied. Has all the features I need, bluetooth, gps hookup, intercom, etc. The other nice thing is it comes with both a boom and a wired self-sticky small microphone. We have modular helmets (flip-up) and with a little patience and engineering, routed the wired mike wire behind the head liner, down the upper left side by my temple and adhered it to the inside in front of chinbar by my mouth. Works great, looks real good and does away with that pesky boom mike. People can't even tell I am on the bike when talking on the cell phone and intercom is clear as a bell at all speeds. Just my 2 cents.

I bought the Q2 back last winter and was fortunate enough to be able to trade up to a G4 Team Set before I even had the Q2 on the bike. Didn't like the Q2 just when trying it on the couch.

Cousin and I each have the G4 and I use mine connected to an iphone 3 and then more recently the iphone 4. Very please with the system....

- Battery seems to go for ever, 12 hours listening to music, some intercom and some phone calls and still ticking. I tend to plug my in when I'm not wearing the helmet, but even when I forget over multiple days, I've never seen the battery go dead.

- Intercom - Have had conversations at 90+ mph. But full face helmet needs to be down or windshield full up. It has noise cancellation, so you can't hear the bike or wind unless the mike sitting right out in the wind.

- GPS - can connect, but I don't have a GPS with bluetooth.

- FM Stereo - pretty much a waste, probably better if you were in a big city with stronger stations.

- Cell Phone - Again noise cancellation does the job. Have had several calls at 60, but over that too much noise and not in my comfort zone.

- Stereo - My main use of the set, I find great. Originally with iphone 3, you couldn't control the volume when using AD2P so music was too loud. This was resolved in an iphone 3 upgrade, but still could not advanced through songs. Advancing through songs was solved with the iphone 4. So AD2P works just as expected, great quality, plenty of volume to make you go deaf.

- Biggest problem is learning to just let the system do it's job and remember when to and not to press buttons. For example when a phone call ends and you want it to go back to music, just leave it alone it will go back to music. If you get impatient and press the button to turn on music, you've actually just turned it off, because it was already on, just muted.

- Also find, that I turn off the voice activation. I sometimes sing to the music and with voice activiation I've ended up singing to my cousin on his bike or singing to an incoming caller.

- I have the boom mike mounted in a full facs HJC IS16, but there is room between my mouth and chin bar. I didn't like the foam on the mic hitting my lips so I just left it off so mike is only about 5 mm thick and never touch it. They do have a flexible wired mic that you can swap with it. And Schuberth has recently incorporated the G4 into an attachment specific to their helmets that looks some what like an extension to the helmet collar.

I'm also thinking about getting new communication system. I have been using the Chatterbox X1 for years and has worked very well. I keep it in my tankbag so weather is not an issue. I'm leaning toward the Scala Rider but I'm wondering how weather proof it is as far a rain. Any of you Scala rider users get caught in rain for several hours? How did it hold up any issues?