Schuberth S1

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mogan

Reaction score
Well, I bought one of these babies. I just seemed too cool not to. Found one the right size on eBay.

And, was this ever a big disappointment! It's advertised as the quietest helmet on the market. I'm just not sure what market they're talking about. I have a Schuberth C1 flip and an Arai Quantum II. The S1 is by far the most noisy! The ventilation seems average, too.

The padding is nice and the goggle visor is neat if you're into that. Hopefully it's super safe for your noggin. It's certainly not worth it new. :axed:

My Schuberth is my loudest helmet. I love the flip down tinted visor inside the regular visor. I like the city setting of the visor that provides a gap at all edges. I hate the noise...by far louder than my sub $200 Scorpion EXO 700

I had the Schuberth C2 - which I sold after about two weeks. Drove me nuts. Loud, poor fit. I do have a huge cranium and had to get XXL which still was small. Also short and barely covered my chin. But the flip sun shade was almost enough to keep it.

Back to my Shoei and will likely never leave as they make the XXL big enough to fit.

So, is there any consensus out there about what the very best hemet really is (assuming good fit)?

So, is there any consensus out there about what the very best hemet really is (assuming good fit)?
The 'very best helmet' depends on a lot of things. What are your criteria? Safety, comfort, convenience, price, aesthetics, etc.

I bought the S1 model in November 2003 while on holidays in Berlin. I came accross a real good deal on one, and since I had been hit by a cager 3 weeks earlier and my previous helmet (a Roof Le Mans) turned into nothing more than an expensive paper weight, I didn't think twice about it and brought one along.

Fast forward to a week and half later when I got home and rode with it for the first time, I hated it right off the bat -- it was noisy (quiet? ha!), awfully heavy, the flip down shade gave me headaches everytime I used it (due to visual distortion, I suppose) and the venting wasn't really that good. To make a long story short, I ended up selling the bloody thing two weeks later.

I'm sure Schuberth makes great racing helmets -- for example both F1 drivers Michael and Ralf Schumacher swear by them -- but to me their motorcycle offerings are just over-hyped over-expensive rubbish.

I now own a Shoei XR1000 Diabolic and an AGV Stealth, and I love them both.

Last edited by a moderator:
My personal favorite is the Shoei X-11. Others prefer the shape of the Arai RX-7. The Arai's just never fit me right.

Aww man, where is that photo of that one chick with the backwards helmet on. I Can't find it........I would be rollin' out of my chair right now.

Criteria for the dream helmet?

Assuming a good fit (that's different for everybody)...

1. Safety (low g's on impact?)

2. Ventilation

3. Quiet

Another Vote for the Shoei X-11. Mostly quiet, great ventalation and it fits my head well.

Replaced my old Shoei with a new Shoei X-11. It is so light it feels like I am wearing a bicycle helmet (slight exageration). The ventilation is also better then anything I have ever worn before and it is also much quieter then my old Shoei. For my head shape the Shoei's seem to have the best fit as well. A little bit more expensive then some of the other helmets available but as the saying goes....you get what you pay for.

Actually, Schuberth claims the C2 to be one of the quietest helmets, NOT the S1 (unless you use the collar they have for that helmet to reduce noise).

Second, if a helmet has a 'poor fit', why in the world are you buying it? If it doesn't fit you right, it is not the right helmet for you and worse, it makes the safest helmet on the planet unsafe for your head. You should buy a helmet using your brain, not your eyes. Just because they look cool, have great graphics or inspiring adverts does not make it a good helmet for your particular skull.

No personal experience with Schuberth, though I have several friends with the C1 and C2 that swear by them. So far, the only helmet I have found to fit really well is the Arai RX7. Though the price nearly killed me, I expect the thing to do it's job if I ever need it.