Scraped exhaust today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Centerline

Dagnab it! Slightly scratched the left exhaust today while practicing twisty riding for upcoming trip to the Dragon. Got it on the forward part of the muffler where the thing flares. About the 8 o'clock position when the bike is upright.

Was riding without the bags so was wondering if anybody knows when the bags will touch down???

Dagnab it! Slightly scratched the left exhaust today while practicing twisty riding for upcoming trip to the Dragon. Got it on the forward part of the muffler where the thing flares. About the 8 o'clock position when the bike is upright.Was riding without the bags so was wondering if anybody knows when the bags will touch down???
Bags touch down immediately after the muffler drags a little harder, picks the rear wheel of the ground and you go sliding across the road. Have you tightened up the stock suspension yet ?

Dagnab it!  Slightly scratched the left exhaust today while practicing twisty riding for upcoming trip to the Dragon.  Got it on the forward part of the muffler where the thing flares.  About the 8 o'clock position when the bike is upright.Was riding without the bags so was wondering if anybody knows when the bags will touch down???
Bags touch down immediately after the muffler drags a little harder, picks the rear wheel of the ground and you go sliding across the road. Have you tightened up the stock suspension yet ?
On going out this morning, turns out got both exhausts, only very slightly. Anyhow have only flipped the switch to hard, guess I better tighten it further.

The feeler pegs are about 1/4 worn off, so really, not much experience yet, tho the tire is nicely worn to both edges in the back.

Obviously, I will need to tighten the back end cause the beast is gonna be loaded for the trip.

Thanks. :unsure:

Centerline,

Bags touch down at the same time your head does !

Maybe it's time to cool down a bit.

I have never had a scraping issue with any of my bikes because I DON'T LEAN! If the corner is too sharp to take without leaning I stop, get off, push it around, get back on and continue. It saves alot of hassles. I don't have to practice all that delayed apex crap. :D

never had a scraping issue with any of my bikes because I DON'T LEAN!
If you're riding the bike in your avatar, I don't blame you for not leaning! :haha:

QUOTE (Rob L @ Jan 8 2006, 02:30 PM) Centerline,

Bags touch down at the same time your head does !

Maybe it's time to cool down a bit.

good point. as much as some want to think otherwise, it ain't a sport bike. QUOTE]

Riding that hard on the street, sportbike or no, elevates the risk level to the point that a track day might be a better place to enjoy it. That being said, if you de-bag the FJR, its spec sheet (power, suspension, weight) isn't that far off a sportbike, and is probably better than some older sportbikes. I think the FJR can fill the sportbike role to a point, but the street is not the place to do it.

Hmm, so there is a practical reason for aftermarket cans that are smaller.
I would agree.

Take the bags off and have smaller cans if you really want to lean it.

The FJR is big, but if YOU are capable and the bike is set up right it takes the curves quite well.

I have scraped the pegs. It is a touring bike but some of us can make this mutha move, on a track or the twisties.

Standby for incoming unheard, unrequired, opinionated lecture.........

The feeler pegs are about 1/4 worn off, so really, not much experience yet, tho the tire is nicely worn to both edges in the back.
This smells a bit fishy,

But in case you are not fishing here, it seems that you need to work on your technique just a tad bit.

Leaning TOO MUCH may feel cool and give you a bit of a rush, but is not good technique. Specially when doing fast switchbacks; it is better to hang off the bike and keep a smaller lean angle, this makes it easier to "flick" the bike for the next curve. The rear wheel's gyroscopic effect is very strong at high speed; it is what keeps the bike from falling to the ground in a turn, but it also makes flipping the bike harder on fast swithcbacks. Also, the quicker you get the bike to its final lean angle, the lesser the angle will need to be, which in turn results in greater ground clearance.

Suspension adjustment helps a little also, but you may never find that sweet spot, specially since you are planning to have a loaded bike in your trip. Your best suspension adjustment in a curve is on your right hand. By starting your roll-on as soon as possible and increasing your acceleration throughout the turn, you will be effectively raising the rear of the bike and gaining one or two inches of clearance. Try to keep the pressure on the rear tire by accelerating. The ideal wheight distribution front/rear is 40/60. That distribution might be easier to achieve with a loaded bike; but it is the acceleration that will help raise the rear, and counter the effect of the weight.

I would recommend reading this book: "A TWIST OF THE WRIST 2: The Basics of High-Performance Motorcycle Riding". It is loaded with good and helpful advise.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've yet to put a peg down on this bike. In fact, the only time I scraped 'pegs' was on the Wing and the Harley. BWAAAAAAAAAAA! Go figure...

Go to the racetrack and practice that "throttle on,hang off" stuff. You will be amazed at what that big beast will do!

Also,Wilbers (or other similar) rear shock,cranked up a bit,will make it even faster(and more stable and safer).

It is PLENTY fast in the corners with the right technique and the peg feelers just touching.

Did I say I love this bike?

Paint

If you signup for one of the Total Control Advanced Riding Clinics offered in several locations through out the country they can teach you how NOT to drag/scrape hard parts while going around corners. I've seen a rider drag his knee on an HD Road King without scraping the floor boards!

Leaning TOO MUCH may feel cool and give you a bit of a rush, but is not good technique. Specially when doing fast switchbacks; it is better to hang off the bike and keep a smaller lean angle, this makes it easier to "flick" the bike for the next curve. The rear wheel's gyroscopic effect is very strong at high speed; it is what keeps the bike from falling to the ground in a turn, but it also makes flipping the bike harder on fast swithcbacks. Also, the quicker you get the bike to its final lean angle, the lesser the angle will need to be, which in turn results in greater ground clearance.
Yep, leaning off even slightly really helps and you shouldn't have a problem scraping crap.

I've yet to put a peg down on this bike. In fact, the only time I scraped 'pegs' was on the Wing and the Harley. BWAAAAAAAAAAA! Go figure...
Peg scrape rarely due to excessive bike lean and not enough body lean. Scraped pegs quite a few times due to 2up loading and hitting a bump that compressed the suspension mid turn. All in good fun.

Thanks for all the input. (especially the Twist of the wrist) Have been putting the beast thru pre Dragon maneuvers on abandoned park roads, and huge empty parking lots. Establishing turn radius at various speeds and lean angles, hanging off the seat, etc. I will feel/BE much more secure when the time comes that I might actually NEED to lean the bike over for an unanticipated emergency maneuver and know in advance where the pegs are in relation to the road and what it sounds like, feels like when they touch down.

BTW, in a recent road test of FJR's in a motorcycle mag; the reporter, an experienced rider/reviewer opined that in the twisties, the ergos of the FJR allow the footpegs to contact a bit early in spirited twisty riding. I will fing the magazine and post a link or quote.

Last edited:
The best FJR rider I know rides a stock '03, scrapes cans on a regular basis (and no, it does not raise his rear tire off the ground). He is extremely proficient at hanging off and all the other sport bike skills. He has even scraped his center stand leg, but decided that was probably a bit much. At his skill level he is not pushing the envelope, he's just that good. It's all in your ability level and your dedication to proficiency.

LGFT