Screwed again

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenboard

Reaction score
So because I didn't think to read the manual first, I blew the power outlet fuse trying to inflate the tires on my '08. Probably for the best, since my driveway on a summer evening is not a bad place to have to learn about the fuse box for the first time.

In doing so I discovered an interesting feature that I'm thinking is not by design: the three fasteners holding on panel D are all different. I have the pop rivet as expected, the allen bolt that also holds on the other panels is as expected, but the third bolt, closest to the rider is a phillips head, not an allen head. It's still black oxide and has the same dimensions as the matching bolt on the left side--it wouldn't look out of place except for the head style.

I would write this off to some crazy Japanese engineer, except the servo for the glove box lock is also unplugged (I'm planning to make a warranty claim but not have it fixed--I want the mistake on Yamaha's records but the box is more useful when it doesn't lock) which leads me to believe that my bike came off the line on the front end assembly guy's last day and he just didn't care.

Anybody else know if this is just a case of bad QC or if this is actually a design "feature"?

I have an '06 and mine has a Phillips closest to the glove box. Meant to be, I guess.
I have an O6 AE bike and mine has the same thing. I confess, I wondered about them being different myself. I had removed the one on the battery side previously and remembered the screws, then about a week ago I removed the one on the glove box side and noticed the diff.

Ed :unsure:

I had the same thing happen to me. Why the put a cheap 3 amp fuse to protect that circuit I'll never know. I'm kicking it up to a 10 amp fuse.

I had the same thing happen to me. Why the put a cheap 3 amp fuse to protect that circuit I'll never know. I'm kicking it up to a 10 amp fuse.
Not adviseable. You risk an electrical fire and ignition switch failure.

They wanted to know how long it would take someone to notice and post on this forum! :glare:
I can't believe I'm the first.

It's something I expect on my Ranger, being as it was assembled in Canada and shares lots of parts with a Mazda. Every repair is an adventure of metric and standard.

Shoot, I think it's pretty damn retarded to require ANY tools to get to the fuses. Just imagine you're in the middle of BFE at 2am with no lights for miles and no moon. Do you really want to be fumbling with multiple tiny difficult-to-replace fasteners AND several different tools? Not I.

I know the fusebox has to be there because it has to be near the battery, but for a $14K bike they could have spent a little more design time on it. For instance, they could have turned it 90 deg so it faces the forks instead of the sky, and put a little slide-down flap there or something.

They wanted to know how long it would take someone to notice and post on this forum! :glare:
I can't believe I'm the first.

It's something I expect on my Ranger, being as it was assembled in Canada and shares lots of parts with a Mazda. Every repair is an adventure of metric and standard.
Your Bike Laughs at your Truck.

:D