Searching for Florida Keys stuff

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A friend has been asking me about the possibility of taking a cross-country ride to Florida all the way to Key West. I tried to search the forum for some info and images about the keys, and Key West, and the causeways, but can find nothing specific. I've entered -Florida/Keys/Key West/ with and without the "+", and I get nuthin' informative.

Trying to determine if it's a worthy destination or just tedium. Not the ride TO FL, but whether it's worth going all the way to Key West.

Just trying to gather a variety of viewpoints.

Impressions? Experiences?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you.

I've never ridden a bike there, but it is a fun town. Great bars, beaches and babes. I would say its worth the trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
A friend has been asking me about the possibility of taking a cross-country ride to Florida all the way to Key West. I tried to search the forum for some info and images about the keys, and Key West, and the causeways, but can find nothing specific. I've entered -Florida/Keys/Key West/ with and without the "+", and I get nuthin' informative.Trying to determine if it's a worthy destination or just tedium. Not the ride TO FL, but whether it's worth going all the way to Key West.

Just trying to gather a variety of viewpoints.

Impressions? Experiences?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Key West is Mars!!! It's worth the trip, I think.

I've never done it on a bike, but I found the trip through the Keys pretty and quite bearable in a car. Bike would have been better, for sure.

I've ridden the Florida Keys many times. A good ride and a good time!

However, the ride between Tucson and Key Largo is pretty boring as motorcycling goes.

My friends and I rode down to Key largo last spring here is a link to just a web page I put together about the trip. I didn't take too many pictures because my digital was on the fritz and I had to use a box camera that I bought on the trip.

Search for the surf and sun II

In Key Largo there is a place where you can get some Key Lime pie that is fantastic. We even thought of riding down and back just to get a couple but we haven't done it yet. We got ours at Mrs. Macs Kitchen right on the main route south in Key Largo Route 1. At the toll bridge going into Key Largo is a place called Alabama Jacks. It is a great lunch spot and is just past the toll bridge on cr905a. Actually the best eats the whole trip.

I rode to Key West by myself. I stopped at several causeways but I spent most of the time in Key West. I would probably opt to spend the night in Key West the next time If I ever go back there. It is very touristy and would be nice to take my SO to but I do not plan to go there on my own again. I would definitely say to go to Key west once at least. It was worth it. If you are into twisty roads then Florida is not the place to be. Our trip just replaces my buddies bike week. This spring we plan on staying around the Tampa area and hope to see a shuttle launch. If the launch day sticks we will be seeing it the morning we start heading north again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I rode out to Key West this summer. Second time. I think it's a nice ride. Key West doesn't show me much as I'm not into the bars but still a nice ride.

We were in Key West for Christmas and stayed at the Pagasus Hotel on Duval. Nice little hotel that's been repainted and is well run. The folks running the little hotel are generally from Eastern Europe or Russia. The best croissants this side of Paris, France are available within a couple of blocks walk as are mojitos. It's about a 10 block walk to Mallory Square. I always enjoy the free ranging chickens and the 6 toed cats.

jim

Jim

I have fond memories of Key West -- especially the ride down 'The Overseas Highway' (US 1). Because the weather's almost always great for motorcycling, the ride can be done at night and , if you're lucky (or, plan well), there may be a full moon. The water part of the trip (bridges) is sometimes warmer than the land part (islands). Then there's the bioluminesence in the water.....

I'd like to ride there again, someday.

Thank you for the responses gentlemen. Very helpful. I think that's what I was really wondering - whether that long ride out the causeway was gonna be as nice as I was imagining, or whether in reality it would be a long, hot, boring grind.

I sure appreciate the input. Beers all around!

Have a good supply of patience on hand while on the causeway: it is slow going in spots.

Thank you for the responses gentlemen. Very helpful. I think that's what I was really wondering - whether that long ride out the causeway was gonna be as nice as I was imagining, or whether in reality it would be a long, hot, boring grind.I sure appreciate the input. Beers all around!

I live in Miami and have been to the Keys countless times by bike and by car. Key West is an excellent destination, good restaurants, great people-watching, lots of touristy stuff, and don't miss Mallory Square at sunset. Some of the bridges over the channels between the keys have breathtaking views of the water, especially the seemingly endless Seven Mile Bridge. Be sure to take the Card Sound toll road ($1) from Homestead to Key Largo for less traffic and better scenery on the way down and back. I ride from Miami to Key Largo a lot just for the heck of it. The roads are all straight and flat and sea-level except for the bridges. The long stretches between the bridges can be pretty boring. Once you get to Key Largo the scenery is mostly strip malls. The traffic can be horrific much of the way. Rubbernecking tourists, seniors, and drunks may be out in force. There is hardly anything even remotely close to twisties. Homestead to Key West is often cited as one of the best motorcycling trips in the country. A nice cruiser trip for sure, not technically fun at all as a sport ride. It is definitely well-worth doing once.

Well you probably see lots of this

l_42b9d242463d15d4ff414e5d887df12b.jpg

And don't forget to snap a picture at mile marker 0

l_af2a9f0cc0002f4ff260be72054608c7.jpg

There was a small FJR gathering in Jan '05

l_a6a84fbf6cdb9ee5be4e696a87ec1b96.jpg

And we took at pick at the Southern most point

l_4bad599354ec028e8800740a556aa7ce.jpg

An awesome fellow even had shirts made

l_b799ad5236ceddb066d514650eb01052.jpg

and some of us may have had too much fun

l_81402e3cab0768083658f09b83096225.jpg