Seat issues

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awmp

Reaction score
I have an FJR 2007, ABS, perfect bike, but I can't flat foot the bike when I stop and would really like to. I need about 3-4" more drop in the stock seat. Anyone know of a good seat maker that can help and not break the bank?

Good luck. When you figure it out let me know. I have just learned to ride with the brain vs. brawn. The issue with the seat isn't the height, it is the width. Get a set of seats from someone and shave off what you can. see what happens before you burn a bunch of cash on a rick mayer or something.

As FJRK points out, this is a tough problem, and working on the width issue may be the way to go. Double check and make sure your seat isn't already set in the high position. If it is, you could drop it about .8" and you might be happy. If its already in the low position, see if you can try a Corbin. I've never tried one on an FJR, but on other bikes, they tend to feel lower than they measure because of this front of the seat width issue.

If these things don't help, go to a boutique saddlemaker and explain your issues. They tend to be honest guys, and they'll tell you whether or not you're likely to get satisfaction with their product.

I have an FJR 2007, ABS, perfect bike, but I can't flat foot the bike when I stop and would really like to. I need about 3-4" more drop in the stock seat.
Shouldn't be too hard to do...? ;) Let's see -- that'd make your seat height then about 27.4"~28.4".... :rolleyes:

Anyone know of a good seat maker that can help and not break the bank?
I think...? most good seat makers focus on more comfort. Making your bike 3-4" lower may take a seat "magician"? :unsure:

Do you need a smaller motorcycle? :huh:

I read the 3-4" drop as three quarters of an inch, but if he really meant 3 to 4 inches, it will take more than a magician to make that happen. Maybe some 13" tires ;)

Some options: change the dogbone on the rear suspension link and lower the frame a bit (up to 1/2"?). This will put your arse closer to the ground so your tiny legs might have a fighting chance. Any more drop can be made up with a custom seat. Several opportunities for this. My experience is with Bill Mayer Saddles in Ohai, CA. Great bunch and they're not happy until you are.

Cheers,

W2

I have the corbin and well, feel no difference really. I tippy toe all the time unless I load all the bags with bricks. Then I touch nice. I just figure that I only have my feet on the ground about 2% of the time. Just make sure you don't stop at a stop light in the center of the lane... especially when it is a highly traveled truck route. Learned that one the hard way. Didn't tip, but it sure called for a few chiropractor visits to fix the 2 pulled out ribs and I think a dislocated shoulder from pulling the bike back up from a 30 degree angle. BUT I DIDN'T DROP IT!

I went to a Rocky Mayer seat in August of 06, and while incredibly comfortable (still is) I was having an issue with getting both feet on the ground. So- I researched boots, and changed to the Sidi Road, which has a much thicker sole. These allow me to flatfoot on the bike. YMMV.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Corbin may have lowered my sight line a bit, but if anything made it even a bit more awkward to place my feet down. It seems wider at the thigh but not too bad. If i did it again i would still do the Corbin thing but find the time to do a Ride In regardless of the distance.

-Don

Take out the plastic seat height adjustment thingus. You don't need it and that will give you about 1/2 ". Corbin claims a lower seat height but that might be because their seat doesn't use the plastic adjuster-will find out soon as I just ordered one. As far as riding without the seat goes, that's not a bad idea. You can fold up some towels and experiment to see just how much lower you need to go..

There's no need to flat foot. You're not walking with a bike between your legs. Yes, I know it makes you feel more secure about stops and parking lot maneuvers, but that's you, not a bike issue. You only need to stabilize the bike at stops, not hold it's full weight.

Try sliding forward at stops. In many cases it's the width of the seat that is preventing you from getting more foot on the ground, not the height.

As has been said, if you truly feel 3 to 4 inches lower is a must have, it's simply not possible with seat work. A combo of a custom seat specifically worked over to get you lower, (which may significantly reduce comfort), and lowering the bike will likely get you to a happy place, but you'll pay a price in ground clearance. Lowering dogbones, perhaps a custom shock, and raising the fork tubes in the triple trees, when set up well, can work. Some of the inseam challenged have done this and are very happy with the results, though the center stand is useless for them. MEM comes to mind. You might do a search on lowering and also PM MEM for feedback.

FWIW, I have a 29-30" inseam and a Russell custom seat that raises the seat height an inch or so. And a custom shock that allows pre-load adjustment via a remote, which probably raised things another inch with the sag set correctly.

With the OEM shock set on soft when the bike was new, stock seat, I almost could flat foot if I slid forward. Now, I just get my toes down. Of course, now I have 117k on the bike and I'm pretty comfortable with it.

edit: Fill out your profile with a location. It's easier to offer suggestions for a seat guy if we know where you are. FWIW, this type of work pretty much requires a ride in. Ask some of the local shops about seat guys. Also have a talk with your local upholstery shop and see if they might have a go at it. Often that's the cheaper route, and can have really good results.

Thanks for all the replies, the seat is on the lowest setting.

I might try and take out the plastic "thingy" and see if that lowers the seat a little.

The 3-4" was a "ball park" from my wife as I sat on the bike, I will try and get a closer measurement.

Keep the info coming.

I'm stationed at Fort Leavenworth, KS (stationed not imprisoned)

I really enjoy the features of the bike, nice to have saddle bags and not having to carry the helmet is nice. The ABS, wind screen, gear selector/electronics are all a plus.

Maybe this guy, Spencer, at Spencer's Seat Mods can help you. I have been discussing having him modify my seat. He basically reworks the stock seat to make it more comfortable using higher quality materials and forming them to your riding position and personal characteristics. I am 6'2" and so I dont want mine lowered any. He said the specific modification to my seat wouldn't lower it, but maybe he has another modification that would do so for yours? It's likely worth an email to see. Pretty reasonable price, IMO. JRH08FJR

I have a Corbin and it doesn't seem to make a great difference. However, as someone mentioned above, changing out the dogbones is a lot cheaper than a seat. You can go anywhere from 1/2 to over an inch lower with the fixed length type lowering links made by a number of outfits (including Kouba links), or a turnbuckle type (Soupysperformance links) that is infinite (to a point) and don't need to be taken off the bike for adjustment up or down. All for less than 100 bucks. You can shave all you want off seats, but if you've got a short inseam like I do, you'll end up lowering the bike. You will lose some clearance, but if you aren't a real aggressive rider you may not even notice, depending on how far you lower the bike. The turnbuckle type allows you to change the height up or down in minutes so you can dial it to the type of the riding you intend. City stop and go, lower her down, going for the twisties, raise 'er up. That simple.

Maybe this guy, Spencer, at Spencer's Seat Mods can help you. I have been discussing having him modify my seat. He basically reworks the stock seat to make it more comfortable using higher quality materials and forming them to your riding position and personal characteristics. I am 6'2" and so I dont want mine lowered any. He said the specific modification to my seat wouldn't lower it, but maybe he has another modification that would do so for yours? It's likely worth an email to see. Pretty reasonable price, IMO. JRH08FJR
I tried to contact the folks at www.greatdaytoride.com with no luck. Maybe out of the business?