Seat Opinions other then Russell seats

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bababang

Reaction score
Ok

First off, I've opted to buy a Russell seat, production date is scheduled and I should have it early March. I'd prefer to use the Russell only on the longer rides. I'm looking for opinions on the less expensive seats offered by yamaha and Saddleman. I can order the Yamaha Comfort Gel for $300 and the Saddleman GC Track for $380 on eBay. 40 mile round trip daily communte. Anybody have opinions on these seats or others I should consider.

Thanks

Why not just leave the Russell on all the time. I have heard this before and I really don't understand. I like to be comfortable all the time not just on long rides. Please enlighten me.

Why not just leave the Russell on all the time. I have heard this before and I really don't understand. I like to be comfortable all the time not just on long rides. Please enlighten me.
My assumption is the Russell doesn't allow you to move your ass off the seat for more aggressive riding. I don't own a Russell seat, but the "wings" look inhibiting to me. That being said, it is made for comfort. I think the stock Yamaha seat is decently comfortable and allows for hanging off.

Yeah...that makes no sense. You only want a comfortable seat some of the time after spending $$$ for a Russell?

I've whipped this bike around in the twisties and sweepers across this land, and yes, long straightaways in Illinois corn country. I can't for the life of me thinking the Russell was a hindrance during any of those moments, nor did I ever think that I was ready for some butt burn on some other seat after spending the bucks for a Russell. ;)

My assumption is the Russell doesn't allow you to move your ass off the seat for more aggressive riding. I don't own a Russell seat, but the "wings" look inhibiting to me. That being said, it is made for comfort. I think the stock Yamaha seat is decently comfortable and allows for hanging off.
I tend to think the whole hanging off thing is more for bragging rights than any thing else IMHO. I have followed lots of fast FJR riders ( not for very long because they leave me) that never hang off. That's not to say they don't move some weight around but their butt stays planted.

Maybe consider a used Sargent? I picked one up here and it negated the need for me to step up to a Russell...

I can rotate around the tank on mine......but I don't consistently ride like that. I do so, once in awhile, just to stay in tune with my own capabilities, just in case.

My FJR doesn't need that much help. It's a 650 lb. porky bike, not a 380 lb. nimble sport-bike. It will carry enough entry speed and has the torque to power out of any corner.

Like Ray, I like watching the other guys, I don't like the recovery time because of my own lack of ability or willingness to push my envelope.

My Russell stays on the bike 24/7/365.

I tend to think the whole hanging off thing is more for bragging rights than any thing else IMHO. I have followed lots of fast FJR riders ( not for very long because they leave me) that never hang off. That's not to say they don't move some weight around but their butt stays planted.
Actually hanging off keeps your body weight on the inside of the bikes line through a corner. Sometimes it might just be a slight shift on the seat with a head and shoulder lean out. No knee dragging required. :p I don't think anyone should brag about that. It's just good technique. Some asses are harder to move than others. :hehe:

Ahh yea, it has nothing to do with the function, MY REASONS, although, I'm sure many will have other opinions, it's about keeping it out of the rain and NC sun from the day to day commute. I'd rather slip a cheap seat on there to work and back without any concerns of wear and tear from enviromental effects, remember this is a $$$$ russell, it's cost is twice+ the amount of the cheap-o. Another issue, although, not as much, is I don't favor the appearance too much but definately apppreciate the comfort.

Maybe consider a used Sargent? I picked one up here and it negated the need for me to step up to a Russell...

I like the sargent seats, I had one on my FZ1. There nice, a bit dense, but nice to slide on the twisties, I'm looking for a cheaper altenative, the sargents are priced a bit higher. I'm trying to stay under $350 for the commuter.

thanks

Been happy with my sargent.Made for sport bikes, flat and easy to move around on.

Anybody know where I can pick one up under $350?

I do what you are thinking about.

I have a Russell Seat that I use for longer rides and a stock seat for daily short trips. When I am at work the FJR stays in the parking lot and weather. Typically I leave a stock seat on day to day to prevent weathering and moisture from rain.

I have a Wee-Strom for day to day in the summer and it has a Sargent seat. It is waterproof and comfortable, but not as comfortable as the Russell.

The weather thing I don't get, do you wear your yellow rubber rain boots then change into your leather boots when you arrive.

Never seen a cow in a rain coat. I guess the Military made me aware of what leather boots are capable of with good care. And if you ever paid for a pair of military jump boots you really became aware. Polish is the answer on leather pure and simple, and on seats mixed with Lexol will seal and protect you seat forever. Also you could have the Russel made in vinyl and that would solve your waterproof issues. But I hate vinyl myself so that would be your choice.

I got my Day Long yesterday and put 70 miles or so on it. It is heaven. As far as leaning off you can and will, you just need to use a little more effort to raise your ass out of the bucket.

This is my third Day Long on different bikes and it was a expensive journey on this FJR. First a Corbin set, it sucked big time for me. Then a few months ago I went for the Sargent set. It is the best of Corbin or Stock for sure. Yesterday the Day Long went on and it will never come off. It is all that and a bag of chips with salsa too!

It does and will take you time to break it in and get used to it but you can get aggressive on it no issues. And how much time do you spend with the "switch" fully on? I mean if you ride to the max of your limits and the roads every time you turn the key then you may want to consider a Sargent set.

Deep pockets is all it takes. A Day Long set is not cheap and a Sargent set is not far behind.

I guess I just don't understand :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Protection:

1. I bought the rain cover with mine though I've never used it.

2. When parked at work my bike is covered....UV, rain and "prying eyes" protection.

As an alternative, why not simply by another OEM seat? I've seen them for sale on this site and ebay. Then you could simply use an airhawk pad, beads or a lambs wool cover to add comfort.

Last edited by a moderator:
User is offline flyboyk

FNG

Pip

Add as Friend

PM this member

Group: Members+

Bike: 2007 ABS (N. America)

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:15 AM

i have a corbin seat up for sale--$300 plus shipping.Will take paypal.Will send pictures on request.This came of my 2007 FJR.

Jay

+

-

User is offline flyboyk

FNG

Pip

Add as Friend

PM this member

Group: Members+

Bike: 2007 ABS (N. America)

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:15 AM

i have a corbin seat up for sale--$300 plus shipping.Will take paypal.Will send pictures on request.This came of my 2007 FJR.

Jay

+

-

Already on it, thanks

The weather thing I don't get, do you wear your yellow rubber rain boots then change into your leather boots when you arrive.

Never seen a cow in a rain coat. I guess the Military made me aware of what leather boots are capable of with good care. And if you ever paid for a pair of military jump boots you really became aware. Polish is the answer on leather pure and simple, and on seats mixed with Lexol will seal and protect you seat forever. Also you could have the Russel made in vinyl and that would solve your waterproof issues. But I hate vinyl myself so that would be your choice...........

I guess I just don't understand :huh:

As per Russell the stitching is not waterproof, and can allow water intrusion via the seams. This can take a long time to dry and is why Russell sells rain covers for their seats. I don't worry about his during a ride but I don't want it to sit in the rain all day while I work and absorb water thru the stitching, water actually puddles in the bucket. So I use a stock seat in town for day to day use and my Russell on the road.