Seat Opinions other then Russell seats

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The weather thing I don't get, do you wear your yellow rubber rain boots then change into your leather boots when you arrive.

Never seen a cow in a rain coat. I guess the Military made me aware of what leather boots are capable of with good care. And if you ever paid for a pair of military jump boots you really became aware. Polish is the answer on leather pure and simple, and on seats mixed with Lexol will seal and protect you seat forever. Also you could have the Russel made in vinyl and that would solve your waterproof issues. But I hate vinyl myself so that would be your choice...........

I guess I just don't understand :huh:

As per Russell the stitching is not waterproof, and can allow water intrusion via the seams. This can take a long time to dry and is why Russell sells rain covers for their seats. I don't worry about his during a ride but I don't want it to sit in the rain all day while I work and absorb water thru the stitching, water actually puddles in the bucket. So I use a stock seat in town for day to day use and my Russell on the road.
Yes it has seams but polish will seal them and Lexol will also. Not saying super water tight but enough I have never worried and never rotted a seat out. Also type of stitching, I went Half Moon which is their best at water proof. I just swipe the puddles off and ride. Like I said have had Russel for three bikes and never a problem but again I take care of the leather and seams.

To each their own, but two sets of seats is kinnda expensive and not me.

Some people like vanilla and some like chocolate.

Look in the classified as my Sargent set will be there soon, but I will never give it away at 350.00 as was asked in other posts.

As per Russell the stitching is not waterproof, and can allow water intrusion via the seams. This can take a long time to dry and is why Russell sells rain covers for their seats. I don't worry about his during a ride but I don't want it to sit in the rain all day while I work and absorb water thru the stitching, water actually puddles in the bucket. So I use a stock seat in town for day to day use and my Russell on the road.
Well, actually, it's true that the stitching is not waterproof and water can intrude in thru the seams, but in reality, very little water does intrude, and the foam is closed cell for the most part, so it's really not an issue. If, like me, you ride in waterproof textile riding pants, it's really, really a non-issue. If you ride in jeans or some other non-riding wear, it might be of more concern.

I put 140k on the Day Long seat on my FJR. I never used a rain cover. I sometimes covered the bike when parked outside, but often didn't in the last 100k simply because it no longer looked like a bike people would steal and I don't have electronic farkles to worry about. I had a vinyl seat with the 'small squares' pattern.

Each to his own, but just leave the Russell on all the time and enjoy it. Invest in a short cover for cheap and easy covering at work and it will keep the rain, dust and UV off the rest of the bike as well as the seat.

A far better rider than I, when I asked about hanging off, etc, told me that until you're riding at 80% of your personal threshold, none of that really matters. After that, it makes a significant difference. I still use body english, pushing the bike outside and dipping a shoulder in, hip movement, peg weighting, etc. during riding at less than ~80% of my personal threshold and all that is completely do-able with the Russell.

Another seat option, (NOT CHEAPER), that has less of a tractor seat style , is Cee Bailey's. Yep, the wind screen guys make custom seats too. The SO has one on her F650GS2 and likes it. I recently got one for my Super Tenere and it's breaking in nicely. It's not quite as comfortable as the Russell Day Long was on the FJR, but I only have 1600 miles on it, so I feel it's still breaking in a bit. It is already more comfy than when brand new, but time will tell.

Last edited by a moderator: