Seats

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But somehow, a Russell on a VFR just doesn't seem right... :unsure:
Why not? your VFR's not exactly a Super Sport... I've seen a couple VFR's touring.

Not to mention, swapping out a seat for mutipurose (Tour one day, twisties the next). Isn't a real stretch.

Now if they would only make them in an AE model so guys like me could ride one! :rolleyes:

But somehow, a Russell on a VFR just doesn't seem right... :unsure:
Why not? your VFR's not exactly a Super Sport... I've seen a couple VFR's touring.
No, not a real sport bike, but it's a lot closer to one than the 600lbs+ FJR is. I actually had mine all fit out with GIVI hard bags at one point.

2744429420098858932S600x600Q85.jpg

It's a great sport touring bike... for 1-up. And that sargent seat works well enough for that.

But it's not so great if you want to haul the missus along. Ever look at the back seat area of a VFR?

Having an extra 500cc worth of engine torque is pretty key to happy 2-up touring times.

And then the extra hunnert + pounds of bike doesn't matter nearly so much. ;)

All those custom seats are way over-rated. I'm going with the Kohler seat:

ccc18923.jpg

Recommended by our very own Iggy! :blink: :dribble: :D :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got it 2 days ago and am leaving on a 1200 mile trip this weekend, so I'll get to break it in and can report back on how it works out.
Please do, I would be interested in your "impressions!" :clapping: :clapping:
Ok, I'm back from my new Sargent seat's maiden voyage. :D

First, here's a summary of the trip:

* Day 1 - Started in Sacramento and rode 120 through Yosemite. Then south on 395 for about 3 hours as the temperature hit 109! I went east on 178 and stayed in Lake Isabella. Total approx. 480 miles, 9 hours elapsed time, about 8 in the saddle.

* Day 2 - Went through Bakersfield, then headed back down 58 to 14 south to the Angeles Forest Highway. Intended on riding the Angeles Crest Highway, but it was closed and there were fire trucks all around. Ended up playing road warrior across the northern LA basin to my destination near Lake Elsinore. Total approx 300 miles, 5 hours elapsed time with 1 quick stop for gas.

* Day 3 - Actually day 4, I visited for a day. :) Took the Ortega highway west to I5 north up to 126 west and headed to Ojai where I took 33 north through the twisties (so much fun, had never ridden that before), then continued north on 33 for a while and eventually met back up with I5 and took that back to Sacramento. Total over 500 miles, 9 1/2 hours with only 2 short gas stops (I really wanted to get home).

While I can't say the Sargent felt like a rolling barco-lounger :lol: it was a big improvement over stock. Unlike the stock seat, I never felt like I had to stop due to being uncomfortable. From the start, it was a more pleasant experience and while I still got fidgety after a few hours, simply shifting my position a bit allowed me to be comfortable again. Riding in the incredible heat that first day, the seat was no longer the worst part of the ride. That shifted to the heat in my helmet. Luckily, I was able to keep up some good speed so the wind helped "a bit". The real test was the last day. I really can't believe I rode basically the entire time with 2 short gas stops and I have no fatigue from the seat. Seems that, for me, the form vs function of the Sargent seat strikes a good balance, IMHO anyway.

Thanks for the review! Sounds like a great ride except for the heat. Mine is garaged the next few days since we are over 100 here!