Seattle to the Redwoods

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riona

Reaction score
Just got back from a 1,345 mile long weekend from Seattle, WA to Crescent City, CA ... taking in Oregon along the way.

Day 1 - Thursday after work. I met with the main group in Fall City on WA 202. The main pack (2 Harley's, a Triumph, a V*Star down from Victoria, Canada and a Rat Bike of uncertain parentage) had ridden down from Marysville through Duvall on 203. 202/203 are nice country roads along scenic valleys.

The rat bike was the attention getter .. When I first saw it I couldn't believe that Lee was intending to ride it over 1,300 miles, but that's exactly what he did.

IMG_0840_zpse7c63851.jpg

They were running late, so we hit the main slab - I-90 East - as soon as we could and took Snoqualmie pass up into the mountains. Soon we were stopped at the first of what would be very frequent fuel stops. Brian on the V*star was low on gas. Poor thing only had a range of 125 miles or so. This was to be the story of the weekend.

After the fuel stop we ran down Yakima Canyon to Yakima town. This is a beautiful stretch of road - 28 miles or so of twisties, great surface, great sight lines. I had done it a month or so ago with a group of sports bike riders and this run was leisurely in comparison, but we hit it just at sunset, and the colors off the canyon rock were amazing.

First hotel stop at Yakima.

Day 2 - First full day of riding. We took 97 all the way down from Yakima to Kalmath Falls. This road goes up over the high plains - you are up at over 4,000 feet most of the way, with a max of 4,700. Lots of wind farms up there - for a reason, there is lots of wind. This was also where Brian ran low on gas (again) this time just after passing a sign that read "no gas for 66 miles". We pulled over and used my fuel line to transfer a gallon from my FJR to the V*Star and a gallon from Nicole's Triumph to one of the Harley's.

IMG_0305_zps79f46dc3.jpg

Traveling up on the high desert road was a little depressing - natural beauty everywhere but all the little towns along the route were full of derelict buildings and businesses "going out of business". Hence no gas stations open for nearly 100 miles. The road goes past Smith Rock - a well known climbing area - we took a short detour to visit the rock - worth the extra couple of miles if you are heading that way.

IMG_0849_zps4c82f900.jpg

Then past Bend, OR and onwards. I wanted to go up to Crater Lake, as we were passing very close by, but the plan was to meet up with a couple of friends of Jake's from San Diego, and do the Lake the next day, so we headed on to Klamath Falls for the evening. The last few miles were a great run into town along the shores of Upper Klamath Lake - great roads. In Klamath we met up with Drew and Mark, who had ridden up from California. The two parties arrived within 20 minutes of each other - pretty amazing after a day and a half of riding.

Day 3 - Crater Lake, Oregon 199, Redwoods,

This was now Saturday and should have been our best day of riding and sight seeing. Unfortunately Drew and Mark from San Diego had offered to lead the ride that day, and were totally incompetent. We headed up to Crater Lake, but they had only checked the regional weather, not the specific weather at the crater. Result, at about 5,200 feet up, we climbed into the clouds and got rain, followed by snow at 6,000 feet. By the time we got to the visitor center at 6,500 feet, they decided to turn back rather than heading the remaining 4 miles to the rim to see the lake.

at 5,000 feet ..

IMG_0332_zps8ce4254c.jpg

at 6,500 feet

IMG_0337_zps5431e7a0.jpg

What the lake should have looked like ..

IMG_0335_zpsa027b13e.jpg

We headed back down the mountain towards Medford, stopping to get warm and eat pie at Beckie's Pie shop ... great pie, but why the guys had to spend 90 minutes on a coffee stop beats me, it put us behind schedule (if they had a schedule) for the rest of the day.

Next section was a run down 62 through the Rogue Valley to Grant's Pass. Great scenery, the sun was out, and the California guys "knew a great place for lunch" ... they got us lost several times, and when we finally got there at 3 pm, it was out of business ... so we pressed on, more than a little hungry. At least Miranda kept Nicole and myself fed from her stash of protein bars ...Girls stick together.

Then we came to Grants Pass and OR 199. What a great road - mile after mile of twisties through a national park, with a 55 mph speed limit. Except that Mark led the pack at 35 mph and instead of being able to play with the curves, we went through upright, with no joy.

Finally we came to the Redwoods - amazing, awesome, to see the huge trees ...

IMG_0866_zpsc901fca2.jpg

This is Nicole (nickname "Little Red") next to "Big Red"

IMG_0862_zps2e552b26.jpg

We passed into California and spent the night at Crescent City ... having descended from 6,500 feet to sea level during the course of the day.

IMG_0871_zps8e6715d8.jpg

Day 4 - Oregon Coast and Highway 101 from Crescent City to Lincoln City

We had said goodbye to the CA guys the night before and now we headed back North, this time up the Oregon Pacific Coast on 101. Another wonderful driving road, and this time we did it at the speed limit, not 20 mph under. Around each bend is another view point - cliffs, beaches, dunes, light houses ...

The difficulty on Sunday was the wind, buffeting in from the sea at 25 ~ 30 mph. It made it somewhat of a lottery going around each corner, as to where the wind would hit next.

IMG_0885_zpsaa2cb6b3.jpg

IMG_0887_zps26a9c803.jpg

IMG_0893_zpsd9b1fe3d.jpg

We were all pretty tired and sore heading to the hotel that night.

Day 5 - Run for home

Nothing much to report on the last day - Jake had managed to get a cracked tooth that was really hurting him, so instead of completing the run up 101 to Tillamook (Miranda wanted to visit the cheese factory ) and Astoria, we cut inland to Portland and hit the I-5 slab up to Tacoma (where we stopped at Eagle leather for me to buy a heated jacket liner, to match the ones that Miranda and Nicole had been using) and then up to Seattle.

All in all, a great weekend, and a wonderful introduction for me, both to the delights of touring the Pacific West and to touring on the FJR. Compared to the other riders, I was more comfortable, less fatigued, better equipped, had greater range ..... all the things that make the FJR such a wonderful machine.

Now I just have to go back and do it over, properly this time, and actually get to see Crater Lake and enjoy the twisties on 199!

Anyone up for a trip ?

Riona

Riona, hope you're planning on joining in on FJRay's Reuben Run in September... Crater Lake is an easy jaunt and is well worth the visit... in the sunshine!!
cool.png
Markus told me to make reservations, so I did .....I will be there !

Great RR Riona, looks like the only thing you needed in your things to bring was a 2 gallon gas can for the "Hardley Have Gas Davidson" don't worry you will be able to see Crater Lake on the Reuben Run, it's only 1 hr from La Pine.

Just looked at where La Pine is (thanks Tyler and Marcus) ... perfect, I want to see the Lake at Crater Lake and the Falls at Klamath Falls ....

DO OVER !

and BTW the Harley's were fine - it was the Triumph and the V*Star that were the problem children. And the Vulcan from CA that led us astray on the Saturday, though maybe I should blame the rider not the bike ....

Group rides always have an energy of their own depending on who's participating... you learn as you go who is a better fit for what/how you want to ride (or not ride! ;) ).

I am going to go out on a limb here.

The FJR is an awesome touring machine. Good suggestion by Ms. Tyler to go on the Rueben Run - many knowledgeable peeps will be there. Riding with incompetent riders is painful to read about - I refuse to do it, my life, safety and enjoyment take a higher priority.

Ride safe, have fun and suggest carefully choosing ride partners who have the same goals as you.

Me, well I tend to ride solo a lot. I like changing things up on the fly, going where I please, stopping when I choose and doing as I like. Being sympathetic to others on multi day trips can become stressful at some point. The goal is to strike a balance between companionship vs individual enjoyment.

See you in LaPine.

Awesome ride report and pics!
punk.gif

Been down 101 from Seattle to San Fran by car and hope someday to do it by bike! I loved Astoria, the redwoods of Northern California but most of all......Crater Lake!! The deep blue of the lake in the sunshine is truely a sight to behold!
rolleyes.gif

Nice ride report even with the problems you had. I think it's more the rule rather than the exception that in a pick-up group of mixed riders and bikes at least one of them is going to be clueless, if not a disaster, and keep everybody on edge for the duration.

Loved the pictures! Very fond of this part of the country.

Sorry you missed the Lake, but saving something cool for "next time" is not always bad! It is one of those, have to see in person to believe it , places so keep it high on the list!

Last time I went, I rode up the Umpqua River from Reedsport, Or. Saw Crater Lake and then followed the Rogue River back down to the coast! Spectacular ride!

First, let me compliment you on a really really good First Ride Report. Excellent prose, excellent pics. You wrote it like a seasoned veteran rather than a newbie.

Second, I am going to echo what Fontanaman said. Riding with the wrong people is not as much fun as it should be. Most Importantly!!! Riding with the wrong people is not SAFE. I am positive that you already have enough experience to know this though.

Please, keep these RRs coming. Also, anything you care to share about boats...

Cheap? Heavens no you made the right choice.

On the south end of Hwy 1 near Cambria Ca there is a place where seals hang out on the beach. As I sat there and watched the seals on the beach, in open air even, it became abundantly clear I did did not need to assault my senses by going into a cave with a bunch of seals.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the south end of Hwy 1 near Cambria Ca here is a place where seals hang out on the beach. As I sat there and watched the seals on the beach, in open air even, became abundantly clear I did did not need to assault my senses by going into a cave with a bunch of seals.
You will, however, be assaulted by the smell of that many elephant seals in one place... pee-YEW!!

DSC_5943-XL.jpg