Seattle to the Redwoods

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL - yes, that was the view from Seals Cave - and no, we didn't pay to go down the elevator to the cavern. If we want to see seals, plenty of beaches in Puget Sound to see Harbor Seals.

Or go to the bars and see Navy Seals ;-)

Me, well I tend to ride solo a lot. I like changing things up on the fly, going where I please, stopping when I choose and doing as I like. Being sympathetic to others on multi day trips can become stressful at some point. The goal is to strike a balance between companionship vs individual enjoyment.
Well said. Exactly why +80% of the time I ride solo, or in groups less than 4.

Sometimes, I break my own rule..

..and often regret it, inform the ride captain I am 'out' so to not distress the group with my <precious?> absence and then go have fun having my own ride.

Come to think of it, I guess I'm pretty damn selfish. I don't want any twerps wasting my good and limited time.

Fionoa, great post, and I love your candid words..

What an awesome RR!

As I read it I kept alternating between "Ooooo" and "Doh!".

I guess I'm just a selfish old man - I don't want to harsh someone else's gig - and I would quickly opt out and meet up at the end of the day if I had to babysit the unprepared!

You're a better (wo)man than I am. Thanks for the photos and story.

Great RR. I NEED to get out that way and ride one of these days.

Been there done that wrong group thing. I did a ride that I organized and some guys offered to show me around. We didn't get lost but we didn't see what I wanted to see and the pace and roads weren't what I was wanting. One of the other guys who'd joined chose to bow out and tried to get me to take off with him. I politely declined though because these guys were there at my request and I'd organized this so I needed to stick with it. I was glad I did in the end because I saw a bunch of stuff they wanted to show me that I wouldn't have seen otherwise. That said, they at least were competent ride leaders and didn't get us lost a single time.

And like you, there's always time for another trip there to explore the other stuff. Hopefully I'll get to see crater lake someday because I bet it's fantastic.
biggrin.png

All in all, a great weekend, and a wonderful introduction for me, both to the delights of touring the Pacific West and to touring on the FJR. Compared to the other riders, I was more comfortable, less fatigued, better equipped, had greater range ..... all the things that make the FJR such a wonderful machine.
Now I just have to go back and do it over, properly this time, and actually get to see Crater Lake and enjoy the twisties on 199!

Anyone up for a trip ?

Riona
Anytime! And If you ever want a bit more um, spirited, riding and see some great roads down Oregon/SW Washington way, I'd be happy to show some to you.