Selling friend's Hayabusa

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bikerskier

Reaction score
A friend in a small town in S. Oregon asked me to help sell his '04 GSX1300R Hayabusa since there is little or no market in his area. Why he owns this bike is another story. We trailered it back to Portland last Sunday and it now cleaned up and running well. My first question is what is fair price for the toy? 10600 miles, needs new rear tire fairly soon, great condition.

Since it is prudent of me to know the bike a bit, I took it for a spin yesterday, about 10 miles in the country west of town. OMIGOD, I was scared to death about half the time. I have ridden a bit and though it might handle similar to my VFR, but with twice the power. Wrong, very wrong. I found the seating position very uncomfortable, an odd twitch required for the upshift and the power to be enormous! Also an unusual feel to short slower corners, it felt like it wanted to straighten up and did not like to easily lean over to do the right thing. Probably my insecurity and fear on it.

It wanted to get into triple digits far too easily and quickly. Very smooth and very quick throttle repsonse. Fortunately it also has pretty good brakes. I cannot imagine opening this bastard up and letting it run. It scares me to think of it. I will happily stick to my 05 feejer and open it up when I need some adrenalin.

Does anyone have any experience riding the Hayabusa, or does anyone feel the need to have this scary bike in their driveway? Seller is motivated.

:bigeyes:

I like speed. I like flying down a groomed black run.

I like the FJR and that speed.

I like my wife's sports car speed.

I wouldn't get on a hayabusa for money

Those things scare the crap out of me.

Other than that Good luck with the sale

Check Cycle Trader and see what a competitive price might be. I've seen a couple in the $8,000 asking price range.

I'm 59 and have been riding a Hayabusa ('03 LE) I converted to a sport-tourer for three years. I rode it 206 miles home from the dealership where I bought it and was scared of it the whole time. All that power was my last reason for buying it - I liked the size, looks and features. Almost 10,000 miles later, it's never been above 8,000 RPM, the throttle's never been opened fully in any gear and a buck-fifteen is as high as it's been. Control of that power lies directly in your right wrist and between your ears - you don't have to use all of it.

Ed

Almost 10,000 miles later, it's never been above 8,000 RPM, the throttle's never been opened fully in any gear and a buck-fifteen is as high as it's been.
What a shame. A perfectly good GT bike never able to stretch its legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.