selling my FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A deposit would be nice but I am not sure it would matter if they laid it down unless there were some signed conditions attached to it when they handed it to you.
Ummm... deposits accepted in cash for the full amount ONLY. If I have that in my hand, I don't need no steenkin' paperwork.

Last edited by a moderator:
Talk to them, do the eyeball check and see what your gut tells you. If the buyer rides up on a bike, wearing gear and basically looking intelligent, test rides become possible. Rides up bitch with his friends, no way. Last bike I bought, I did so w/o a test ride since I already knew what I was buying. The PO did offer a test ride though. The price was right, and I wasn't concerned with any potential minor issues.

I guess that wasn't a very good deal then, or you'd have bought it anyway.
What the heck is a two minute test ride going to show you that you can't tell already by starting it, listening to it, shifting through the gear box (stationary) and feeling the clutch, all in the driveway? Maybe the tires are out of balance? whatever...
We didn't negotiate, so I don't know if it was a good deal or not. I have found evidence of crash damage I couldn't see without riding. One 919 I rode had a bent lower triple clamp that made the bars slightly out of alignment. It wasn't noticeable just sitting on the bike. I'll stick to test rides.

What the heck is a two minute test ride going to show you that you can't tell already by starting it, listening to it, shifting through the gear box (stationary) and feeling the clutch, all in the driveway? Maybe the tires are out of balance? whatever...
We didn't negotiate, so I don't know if it was a good deal or not. I have found evidence of crash damage I couldn't see without riding. One 919 I rode had a bent lower triple clamp that made the bars slightly out of alignment. It wasn't noticeable just sitting on the bike. I'll stick to test rides.
Gonna have to go with Kurt on this one. Besides, he is legend in certain parts of the world with regard to experience with bike aquisitions. He is just being quietly humble here.

I have sold 2 bikes. Both buyers were new riders and did not even come with basic equipment. I did not think much of it since they were new riders, and both said they would pick it up. I rode it for them, let them go through the gears etc. These were smaller bikes and OK to start with, but the liability was a huge concern. I worked in the insurance industry for ten years and know that there a lot of loopholes, many companies if not all will not cover you even if you rent a bike vs a car. I suspect they would view it the same way with a bike test ride. I use a simple recorder on my smart phone and ask them if they have an M , understand they assume all liability and no warranty of any kind is given other than what ever is left on the factory plan. I also would ask them to call or e-mail me that they had arrived home safe if they were to ride it home as one did even though that was not what we agreed upon, but the transaction had taken place and it was his. . He bought it and said he was gong to ride it home. No helmet ( not legal in WA) any gear except Levis. I got a neighbor to listen as I advised him it was his, but what he was doing was not legal or safe. He said it was "OK I am a good rider and his buddy in his pick up was going to follow him". He did email me that it ran well and was happy ( and lucky IMO). I was paranoid before, now I think consignment maybe better. It is interesting, when i bough the FJR from a dealer he never asked to see if I had an M , I just read my Lic number signed the papers and paid , put on my gear and rode it home with my son following in my car.

When I bought mine the guy rode his bike and had me follow. Before we left he said, "Anything happens, you own it."

"No problem."

We turned out of his drive and to the stop sign in first. Turned right and by third gear the smile came. I knew.

Funny thing was, I was just planning on looking so I had tennis shoes on and at the second stop the tip of my right shoelace had magically gotten caught in the peg and I couldn't put that foot down. Luckily I was set up to lean left at rest. If I was set up to the right, something would have happened.

When I bought mine the guy rode his bike and had me follow. Before we left he said, "Anything happens, you own it."
"No problem."

We turned out of his drive and to the stop sign in first. Turned right and by third gear the smile came. I knew.

Funny thing was, I was just planning on looking so I had tennis shoes on and at the second stop the tip of my right shoelace had magically gotten caught in the peg and I couldn't put that foot down. Luckily I was set up to lean left at rest. If I was set up to the right, something would have happened.

See! Spalkin is the reason why, "No test rides without cash in mah hand!" :eek:

I can usually spot a "richard cranium" pretty quick. I've done deals in the past where they hand me the cash to hold while they take a test ride.
Actually, the last bike I sold was a KTM 450. The guy wanted to take it down the street just to make sure it shifted properly through the gears. I asked him if he knew what he was doing and he looked at me like I was an idiot and told me he'd ridden all his life. He pulled out of the drive hit the gas and promptly did a feet up sideways power wheelie right into the ditch.....

I run down the street to see if he's OK and he gets up all scraped up and says, "I'll take it!"

Be careful.....

"I"ll take it!"

Now that sir, is a great story!

Bob

1. 1982 - Bought a bike new. No test ride. Sold it 4 years layer, no test ride.

2. 1983 - Bought a bike used from a dealer. No test ride. Wrecked and totaled in 29 days.

3. 1983 - Bought a bike new. No test ride. Sold it on consignment 16 years later, no test ride.

4. 2005 - Bought a bike used from private party. No test ride. Wrecked and totaled 2 years later.

5. 2008 - Bought a bike new. No test ride.

I'm seeing a pattern in my life of giving no test rides and expecting no test rides.

I'm also seeing a pattern with renewing my membership in the crash club! :angry:

This is def. a good topic to discuss...

When I bought my current FJR, I met the seller at a parking lot... He asked me if I'd like to test ride it, and I told him I'd pass on it until I had my money ready. A few days later, once my money was ready, I met him at his house and we did a dual test ride, where he ended up following me on his new Concours.

Cash in my hand.

Now you ride, within my site.

You ride like a jerk, cash is mine.

You break, cash is mine.

You crash and die, cash is mine.

You ride respectfully and simply don't like, cash is yours, bike is mine.

Pretty simple.

So far, more cash in hand stays in hand than not...

Cash in my hand.Now you ride, within my site.

You ride like a jerk, cash is mine.

You break, cash is mine.

You crash and die, cash is mine.

You ride respectfully and simply don't like, cash is yours, bike is mine.

Pretty simple.

So far, more cash in hand stays in hand than not...
+1

What this does is weed out the half hearted buyer (gee I'm not sure. Let me waste this guy's time.), the one that doesn't really have the funds but always wanted to ride one of them there murdercycles, and most importantly, the scammers. Anyone that thinks they can look in a guy's face, listen to his story, look at his "drivers license" and trust him to take a short ride on their $10k motorcycle (or car) is destined to become some scammer's mark. Con men are the nicest, honest (looking) folks, or they're not in business very long, and licenses are easy to forge.

Oh, and I'm sure that I don't have to tell anyone that you should never, ever take a Cashiers Check instead of cash on the barrel head. They are just as easily forged as anything else. I have a cashiers check for $15k that was supposed to be drawn on a bank in Casco, ME. I already knew the check was a scam before I got it for other reasons, but was just playing with the scammers. The bank exists, but the check is bogus.

2106659840098858932S600x600Q85.jpg

If you deposited this check in your bank, it would appear to "clear" in a few business days. But it takes up to 2 weeks for the check to physically be sent to the "originating bank" be determined a forgery, denied and sent back to your bank. At that time, your bank would reverse the deposit. Guess what if you spent any of it you'll be in the red. You can do nothing about it. So now go find the guy... Good luck.

On the subject of cashiers checks - Last bike I bought, ($13k), I offered to bring cash and the seller requested a cashiers check instead. Said he didn't feel comfortable with all the cash, even just to go to the bank.

Just saying, if you're buying, ask the seller what they prefer. There have been a couple of times I bought a bike where my comfort level in the seller, even though I'd see the bike and clear title, was such that I was packing when I brought the cash to him and picked up the bike.

On the subject of cashiers checks - Last bike I bought, ($13k), I offered to bring cash and the seller requested a cashiers check instead. Said he didn't feel comfortable with all the cash, even just to go to the bank.
Just saying, if you're buying, ask the seller what they prefer. There have been a couple of times I bought a bike where my comfort level in the seller, even though I'd see the bike and clear title, was such that I was packing when I brought the cash to him and picked up the bike.

Love it you're my kinda guy!!!

Alfred

I need to find one of these guys that's selling a bike, car or sumpthin' for $15,500. I already got the check... :rolleyes:

There have been a couple of times I bought a bike where my comfort level in the seller, even though I'd see the bike and clear title, was such that I was packing when I brought the cash to him and picked up the bike.
Packing what? An extra 40 lbs.?

:****:

There have been a couple of times I bought a bike where my comfort level in the seller, even though I'd see the bike and clear title, was such that I was packing when I brought the cash to him and picked up the bike.
Packing what? An extra 40 lbs.?

:****:
Nah, same 40 lbs as usual. Just packing a bad 'tude. Funny thing too, he had three of his buddies there when I went to pick up the bike. All looking as disreputable as he did. No problems though. I might have accidently shown some holster when reaching for my wallet.... I did notice that the three buddies seemed to move back when I was getting the wallet out. ;)

I can usually spot a "richard cranium" pretty quick. I've done deals in the past where they hand me the cash to hold while they take a test ride.
Actually, the last bike I sold was a KTM 450. The guy wanted to take it down the street just to make sure it shifted properly through the gears. I asked him if he knew what he was doing and he looked at me like I was an idiot and told me he'd ridden all his life. He pulled out of the drive hit the gas and promptly did a feet up sideways power wheelie right into the ditch.....

I run down the street to see if he's OK and he gets up all scraped up and says, "I'll take it!"

Be careful.....

Haaa! hahaha. I guess that was one Richard Cranium that slipped through the "net". ;)

I've never bought a used bike without a test ride and walked away from one that the owner refused.

Well, honestly, as the prospective buyer of the FJR this past Sept, I researched it, came here to learn, and thought I'd like the locally advertised '04 as a replacement of my other two bikes. However, I read 145hp to the crank, and 125hp to the pavement. WTF ???, most powerful bike I'll every own by a large margin, and theirs a question if I'll like it, adapt to it, be safe riding it, or hate it, it scares the hell out of me, and my life is in danger every time I take it on the road. These were my real concerns. So...I required the test ride to get a quick feel for the bike, and see what my comfort level might be. Again, I made 10 passes of a mile or so back and forth in front of the seller, going faster and faster, stopping harder and harder each time. First, OK, I feel comfortable and relaxed with seat, peg, and handlebar position. Next, whacking open the throttle in a gear high doesn't scare me or try to spit me off the bike or loft the front wheel over my head. Lots and lots of low end grunt and great midrange. Grabbing brake doesn't do an instant uncontrollable stoppie, and it stops in a controlled manner on a dime. Later, I find it stable at speed. It looks pretty, shifts easily, everything works, and I'm having a blast riding it. Well, sold, in a New York minute. I'm pulling out my wallet before getting off the bike after the runs.

I've sold a bunch of bikes. If the buyer shows up on a bike, or at least with gear and a helmet, I'll let him ride with me going along on another bike. No helmet, no ride.

if it's a rookie I've give them a ride and run it thru the 1st 3 gears to show them it runs right.

I think the suggestion that a test ride should come after money has changed hands and paperwork is done is a very good one. I've wondered more than once what I'd do if some prospective buyer dumped the bike on the test ride and then said "sorry" and split. I don't know how you'd get your money out of him if he turned out to be an irresponsible dick.

There is a lot of good information on this post. I am in the process of selling my Valkyrie since the 06 FJR has taken its place.

I think the cash in hand, you break it you bought it is probably the best scenario.

I guess when I bought my FJR this summer, the seller thought I was serious since I flew from Dallas, TX to Phoenix, AZ. I arrived with gear in hand and he offered a test ride WO me asking. Gut instinct should play a big role in whether or not someone is allowed to take a test ride, followed by determining if they are qualified.

By the way I read lots of post on this forum before I made my FJR purchase.