selling my FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some people will not purchase a used bike from a private seller without first testing it out. So if you do not allow test rides at all, you may be limiting your chances of selling. On the other hand, not every Tom, Dick, or Jane can handle the big Feej. If an inexperienced rider wants to ride you FJR, you may end up unhappy; and if that rider buys your FJR, they may end up with more bike than they can handle. So if it were me, I'd need to see a license with some years on it and maybe know that they rode their own in. Oh, and +1 to leading the prospective rider on a ride around the block.

I never let anyone test a bike I'm selling.

I say, "Get on the back of the bike" Then I take them for a ride and do anything they want.

Your bike IS covered by your insurance policy, but if you don't have collision or comp. and the rider dumpes your bike. He may not pay you. If he is a young kid and has no money your out.

So don't let them ride it. Take them for a ride. Show them what the bike will do.

I'm contemplating selling my '06...I've never sold a motorcycle before. So, I was looking for opinions on allowing test rides. Do you just hold their license and hope for the best or take some kind of deposit? I'm sure many of you have been through this process before.
i'd let them do a test on several conditions.

1. they hand over their D/L to me to hold until they get back.

2. they hand over the keys to the vehicle they arrived in until they get back.

3. their D/L has an M endorsement.

4. they leave a $ (usd) cash deposit with me in the amount the bike is being sold for (iow "pay" for it before the ride).

5. they sign a waiver exempting me from any liability to them as a result of the test drive (and agreeing to pay the balance due on the bike if they drop or wreck it).

that usually leaves THEM saying they'd rather not.

much easier just to write up a BOS, have them pay, and include a "bring it back unharmed in 15 minutes if you want your cash back" clause.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've bought both of my FJRs through this forum. Both bikes were located 4+ hours from me, so I was taking a leap of faith for both purchases, especially the first since I bought a one-way plane ticket to Philly with plans to ride back. I talked with both sellers on the phone several times, enough to feel comfortable with them. I still could've gotten screwed, but luckily not everyone on the internet is a douchebag looking for a sucker to victimize.

I offered both sellers a deposit to hold the bike, and showed up with the remainder of the selling price, cash in hand (a cashier's check for the second bike, as that's what he said he preferred).

I stepped up to the FJR from my first bike, a little Suzuki GS500, after two years and a little under 10k miles. (I probably should've upgraded to something smaller, but too late now!) I sold the GS to a first time rider, like I had been. I let him test ride it before he took it home, but he showed up riding shotgun with his dad driving a nice car and full gear in his lap. I didn't ask for cash in hand, but if I sell the FJR I will simply because it's a hell of a lot more bike and it's worth 8+ of my GS500s.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've bought every one of my bikes from a private party. A couple offered a test ride, one of which I accepted. The other time, I wasn't expecting a ride so I didn't bring any gear.

When I sell a bike, I like to give several options in order to give the buyer comfort:

1) Cash in hand always works - although I still need to see a M endorsement and at minimum a helmet in all cases.

2) Something of equivalent or better value if they bring a title - car or bike with the keys left with me.

3) One hour return policy if in same condition as when sold.

4) I also offer to let them follow me in their car or bike. I don't feel comfortable with a strange passenger on back.

#4 seems to work best.