Sena App Rideconnected

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried to describe something like this in a headphone/intercom thread a while back. These days, you shouldn't have to buy an expensive helmet system to be able to connect. It shouldn't take any more than an app, a smartphone, and a seat of earbuds. Zello (IIRC) and other apps allow talkgroups already, though they aren't specifically targeted to motorcycle riders.

Assuming cellular data availability sure. Without that how would you envision this working ? Using the phone wifi ? Bluetooth ?

Less sophisticated Bluetooth devices communicate with each other helmet to helmet every day, my helmet included. I'm surprised that no one has come up with a protocol or app to allow phones to communicate in pairs or in groups using Bluetooth. Given the array of devices smartphones exchange voice and data with every day, from my N-Com B5s to fitibits, to JBL Clips, it shouldn't be a leap. My smartphone handles 2 way audio between me and nav, between me and callers, between me and siri, with my helmet only providing a mic and speakers most of the time. No complaints from my helmet systems, but end users one day won't have to buy a "system", they'll be able to buy the glorified equivalent of a Bluetooth earpiece, with all the work being done by the phone.

Less sophisticated Bluetooth devices communicate with each other helmet to helmet every day, my helmet included. I'm surprised that no one has come up with a protocol or app to allow phones to communicate in pairs or in groups using Bluetooth. Given the array of devices smartphones exchange voice and data with every day, from my N-Com B5s to fitibits, to JBL Clips, it shouldn't be a leap. My smartphone handles 2 way audio between me and nav, between me and callers, between me and siri, with my helmet only providing a mic and speakers most of the time. No complaints from my helmet systems, but end users one day won't have to buy a "system", they'll be able to buy the glorified equivalent of a Bluetooth earpiece, with all the work being done by the phone.
All true, but the blue-tooth range of most devices (phones) are designed to work for about 30 feet (Class 2) .. The Sena devices are (Class 1) devices with an effective range of 100 meters ...

An app wold be great and is feasible .. But if the device used is Class 2, it would be useless as a motorcycle communication medium ...

Latest posts