sena smh10

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luis

Reaction score
I have read everything there is here and on support.senabluetooth.com. I have just upgraded to firmware 4.1 and still the same... the lady saying hello, phone connected, low battery and good bye sounds great. That's about it. I have a droid connected and of course I wear 33db earplugs. In the garage the mp3 sounds brilliant, but on the motorway... now that I think of it I always hear that lady in the garage! So I am not even sure on that one either! Short of the long... has anyone found a solution? I emailed sena support today to see if there is something that I can do...

Ease up on the earplugs about 10 dB and it ought to be fine.

Better yet buy the IEP (3.5mm) base and get a set of good in-ear isolating earphones (I use UM2s) and you'll likely do just fine - it should be better quality sound, too. I won't know for certain until this weekend, mind you - my Sena is waiting for me to go and pick it up at the receivers.

I have the Sena and I installed the speakers in my Shoei X-11 with a dremel and perseverance. I use some pretty robust Howard Leight dense foam earplugs and can hear fine. Music isnt LOUD, but the GPS sure is. I would make sure that there is nothing wrong. My buddy had the same problem as you and got his replaced and it was all good.

There might be an equalizer setting for the mp3s or the player to boost volume. Also, move the speakers closer to the earplugs. If they're tucked up agains the helmet, behind cheekpads, maybe not in direct line with your ear canals, speaker placement change couild work wonders.

Alexi

I bought a "walkman" type inline amplifier and soldered up the right plugs onto the output wires and now I have enough volume to hear it at least. I forget which one it was but they are on EBay. It is square and about as large as a large postage stamp. I have another battery to charge but the sound is loud enough to hear at speed. Only paid like 25 bucks for it.

A MixIt amp will make your ears bleed. Had mine for 7 years every since I have gone totaly Bluetooth. Always the complaint I hear is volume. The MixIt will solve that issue.

Mix-It

As Alexi said, speaker placement is critical. You really need the speakers lined up perfectly on your ear canal for maximum volume, and the closer they are, the better. I run custom molded earbuds with the IEP bramfrank mentioned. I get great volume and clarity, plus I don't need to crank up the volume on the Sena, thereby saving battery life.

Ease up on the earplugs about 10 dB and it ought to be fine.

Better yet buy the IEP (3.5mm) base and get a set of good in-ear isolating earphones (I use UM2s) and you'll likely do just fine - it should be better quality sound, too. I won't know for certain until this weekend, mind you - my Sena is waiting for me to go and pick it up at the receivers.
^^^^^this.

I just ordered a Sena with the IEP base and will get some custom molded earphones next, that is the only way to go in my opinion.

Did it sound good before you did the firmware update? There is discussion that the 4.1 is somehow corrupted or just not right. It also sort of looks like the upgrade installed with Windows 7 is more reliable than those installed with XP.

Go here: https://fjriders.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7531 and see if any of this relates to you. Seems the only sure solution is to go back to the 4.0 or whatever it was before the "upgrade."

I ordered an additional base plate for my Sena, the plate with the wired mic instead of the boom mic. That kit came with some cool little "pillows" which had velcro on both sides. You can use them to get the Sena speakers closer to your ears. I had not seen those pillows in any other Sena stuff I bought. The pillows may help, depending on the depth of your helmet ear pockets.

I'm interested in the Sena SMH10 and have earmold speakers already, but I don't use them all the time. Does anyone know if it would work to install speakers in the helmet and then put a plug on them so that they could be plugged into the earbud jack (where the earmold speakers could be attached instead when using them)?

Is there a difference between volume output to the speakers (on Sena units so equipped) and to the earbud jack, on Sena units configured in that way, or is it all controllable through programming?

Pete

I'm interested in the Sena SMH10 and have earmold speakers already, but I don't use them all the time. Does anyone know if it would work to install speakers in the helmet and then put a plug on them so that they could be plugged into the earbud jack (where the earmold speakers could be attached instead when using them)?

Is there a difference between volume output to the speakers (on Sena units so equipped) and to the earbud jack, on Sena units configured in that way, or is it all controllable through programming?

Pete
I've used both the earbud mount, and the speaker clamp...there is a noticeable difference in volume, but I think it has more to do with speaker placement, and the isolation afforded by the custom molded units. I would not go back to in helmet speakers, even though they are more convenient at times.

I have the Sena SMH 10, and recently updated the firmware to 4.1

I do not have any volume issues.

Tips I might suggest (as stupid and obvious as they may sound, here we go)

1. Make sure after you start your audio input on your phone (GPS, MP3 player, IHeart Radio, etc), you push your volume up button on your phone, so you know the source is all the way up.

2. Once you've done step 1, turn your jog dial counter clockwise (as if you were looking at the side of your helmet) until you hear the "BEEP". That's your max volume indicator.

3. Raise your windshield up until the wind noise doesn't interfere as much.

If you do those and still find that your Sena isn't loud enough, call Sena.

I had volume issues with my Sena while using it in intercom mode, everything else was loud enough. Probably doesn't help that my helmet is modular. Decided to purchase the EIP base and use earbuds instead of the speakers. While the earbuds aren't as convenient as the wired speakers, I can at least hear a conversation over the intercom now.

I just started using Westone CR-1 (with SENA SMH10). Sensitivity is higher than regular phones, thus experiencing more volume than Skullcandy or Beats. I am now loud enough for XM on 665 at 80 mph (in Montana only). The 25db of noise protection/reduction doesn't hurt either. My favorite farkle to date. I'll see how they feel after a few days of Butt Lite.

I just started using Westone CR-1 (with SENA SMH10). Sensitivity is higher than regular phones, thus experiencing more volume than Skullcandy or Beats. I am now loud enough for XM on 665 at 80 mph (in Montana only). The 25db of noise protection/reduction doesn't hurt either. My favorite farkle to date. I'll see how they feel after a few days of Butt Lite.
Utah and Texas has 80mph speed limits in a few places also.