senna/garmin question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't weld the Sena to the phone....lots of magic smoke there...

As usual Mark you are a big help with a keen sense of the obvious

.:) :) :) :)
I realize that now Ray. That's why I feel guilty for not reminding you to not drop your bike in May of 2011. Sorry, my fault.

You would have laughed as I told the new owner about the only time that bike had been down. He liked it but his wife not so much. We've gotten a lot of use uot of that incident. :) :) :) :)

The Unit easily detaches from the cradle. If you normally leave your helmet on your motorcycle you will need to add a step to your routine to remove it before heading indoors. This is going to take some work for me as well since I normally lock my helmet on the bike...
I'm fairly paranoid living in St Louis but I rarely bother taking mine off the cradle and I always lock the helmet to the bike. My Sena isn't all that easy to take off and remove. I also don't like leaving the connector pins exposed.

I notice you list yourself as in Omahell. I spent too many years in Smellvue on the south side of Aromaha. The old market had several really nice bars but I couldn't handle the winters. Working on a flightline with negative temps sucked!

Does one really need to talk on the phone while on the bike??
Ring, ring, ring. "Hi, Fred (W), This is Alan at the back of the line. The new Ram Ball mount on my front brake master cylinder is loose and I've got brake fluid all over everything, do ya think you could pull over so I can sort it out?" True Stories©

Ring, ring, ring. "Hello?" Hi this is Steve in surface mount (electronic assembly), we have a real problem, can you come out back and take a look...? Well, not right now Steve, I'm on my motorcycle and I'm about 30 miles away. Why don't we troubleshoot the problem so I don't have to turn around and go back to work." And, we did and so I didn't. Sort of what Fred was saying.

If I'm commuting and traffic sucks and it's real slow and there aren't prospects of it getting better any time soon (like almost every day) I'll call me mom in Knoxville and kill some time that would otherwise be wasted
smile.png

We have been Scala users for years. Pair the phone to the GPS and the GPS to the Scala. Gets phone, voice directions and music to the helmet. Bluetooth music is not a strong suit for the Scala, but there is a 'media' plug on the base unit which delivers pretty good sound. The battery life exceeds a 14 hour day with the mike open all the time, i.e. not VOX. The helmet to helmet audio is excellent with good wind canceling. If we ever need to replace this system I would look at the Sena.

Last edited by a moderator:
My phone is -- in reality -- a 21st century cassette deck playing a large-capacity mix tape.

Dixie Chicks, Frank (Sinatra), King Crimson, Alabama Shakes, Miles Davis, and even some Nutcracker Suite. Gotta get some Lost Planet Airmen. Alas, the burden of being a once-upon-a-time music major ....

Now, to MAKE SURE MY POST STAYS ON TOPIC -- which others seem to have difficulty with
uhoh.gif
-- I will say that the Garmin music sounds like crap -- monaural, even -- while the iPhone music sounds great. (Fuze earplugs for any ride over 30 minutes.)

To much time around explosives, guns, drag racing and loud shops to worry to much about sound quality. The music just helps to pass the time.

Now, to MAKE SURE MY POST STAYS ON TOPIC -- which others seem to have difficulty with
uhoh.gif
-- I will say that the Garmin music sounds like crap -- monaural, even -- while the iPhone music sounds great. (Fuze earplugs for any ride over 30 minutes.)
What model is "the Garmin"? It matters.

Zumo 660. From Garmin's website:

"Have a long ride planned? The zūmo 660 is your all-in-one entertainment center. Featuring an on-board MP3 player and advanced Bluetooth A2DP technology, you'll enjoy crisp and clean stereo sound with your compatible headset. The motorcycle mount also comes standard with a headphone jack so you can connect to your headphones or helmet headset and microphone. It’s also loaded with a picture viewer for taking friends and family on the road, and it supports audiobooks to help break up the miles when you’re in for the long haul."

I think the issue may be with the Sena, as I cannot confirm that the Garmin is or is not bluetoothed via A2DP. I want my music in the better-quality datastream; telephone calls need not be hi-fi.

Will be resetting the Sena to factory defaults, removing all linked devices, and starting from scratch. Would appreciate any suggestions to ensure Zumo is A2DP.

Music from my 660 sounds fine. The difference is dictated by my ear buds. INCOMING calls routed through my Zumo sound perfect. It's me they can't hear, and it's not all the time.

I honestly don't know if my phone sounds better than my Zumo or not; although, my phones audio out has more adjustment options. Still, I've been very happy with my Zumo's audio output for literally thousands of miles and many, many days.

I'm having the same issues, Uncle Hud. I've always had my cell phones (currently a LG G3 Android) synced to the Zumo 660 and the Sena SMH10 synced with the Zumo. This is ideal because it makes the GPS my touch screen control panel so I can see who's calling, answer or ignore calls, play music, navigate, etc. But the phone audio is so horrible that I gave up on taking calls because I can't even understand what the wife is saying because it's too choppy, although she says she can hear me.

After reading that others had success pairing the phone directly to the Sena, I tried it last week. Did a complete reset on the Sena and the Zumo (the Zumo would NOT erase the current pairings no matter what I tried so I resorted to a reset). Synced the phone to the Sena no problem. Could not get the Sena to sync with the Zumo as a second phone as instructed in the Sena manual, so I had to connect it as a Audio Device per the Zumo. Phone calls now work very well, but numerous new issues have arisen including crappy Zumo music. Maybe I need to reverse the order of pairing? Gotta play with this some more today.

I'm not sure how I did this, but on a couple occasions I somehow caused my cell phone to start playing music. Probably some button pressing combination that I can't duplicate. The music sounds really good but there's no way to control it with the phone sitting in it's usual spot inside a saddlebag. I normally play music off the card in my Zumo, but now it sounds like crap.

And I need to play with volumes because now I'm dealing with different devices with different volume settings. If the phone volume is loud enough, then the GPS blows out my ears. More opportunities to play with technology! :)