Service Help Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lfmn16

Reaction score
I'm a new FJR owner and not particularly mechnically inclined. I'd like to start doing my own service work, but am not sure where to start. On one of the BMW forums they host a periodic get-together where newbies can bring their bikes to a pre-determined location and the old-timers help them with their service. They also get to watch other do their service so they can learn a lot of different things.

My question is; is there anything like that for FJRs? I hate to pay the dealer (although my dealer has been good so far), but I also want to make sure everything is done correctly.

I live in Charles Town, WV, about 20 miles from Frederick, MD.

Thanks.

They are called 'tech days', you will find pixs and threads in this Forum from various advertised tech days. Sometimes a local group will get together without using the Forum to organize the event.

Announce to this Forum that you want to have a tech day on 10/30 at your house, you supply support such as beverages and perhaps a grill and they will bring tools and experience. Let them know that you envision this being a Newbie maintenance 101 with oil changes, air filter access, basic systems checks, etc.

Asking is free, getting any response is not guaranteed. You are fortunate to live in the land of great roads and lots of Forum members.

PM me when you are ready and I'll go over the Oil Change for the motor and final drive. We can look into other things as well just depends on what it is. We ride up your way and can meet up one of these days and have some fun. I'll pm ya my Cell number.

:yahoo:

I'm a new FJR owner and not particularly mechnically inclined. I'd like to start doing my own service work, but am not sure where to start. ...
Oil change is an absolute no-brainer on the FJR...Throttle body synch and air filter and spark plug changes aren't too much harder...Good write-ups... https://www.fjrtech.com/maint.cfm
As lfmn16 notes, he is looking for an assist beyond a how-to. We all had to start someplace and a teacher far supersedes a how-to, even if it has pictures. "See one" is vastly more educational and confidence building.

Last edited by a moderator:
PM me when you are ready and I'll go over the Oil Change for the motor and final drive. We can look into other things as well just depends on what it is. We ride up your way and can meet up one of these days and have some fun. I'll pm ya my Cell number.

:yahoo:
Thanks! I got your number and I'll give you a call.