Setting Bike On center stand

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After my FZ1, the FJR is a beast to get on the centerstand. And yea, I have both pegs on the ground and stand my full weight on the lever. I don't even want to try a goldwing now.
I'm telling you, it's all technique. I weigh 170 lbs and have no problems 'getting it up'. After my old Kawi Concours (10), I too launched the FJR backwards several inches the first time I put it on the C-stand. I don't do that anymore, but then I don't use near the effort. Once you get the *technique*, it's easy. Simply lifting and pushing down you are fighting gravity and the bike and it's NOT easy. It's all about technique.

Look at what the FJR does when putting it on the C-stand - is it going up? Yes. But it is also going *backwards*!!!!! So think of it as moving the bike backwards while pushing and lifting.
I'm sorry skoot, but this is just tmi... even though yer in skootsdale, and I'm happy for you... this is just tmi :dribble:

;)

Don't know what you mean by double tap. If you're talking about tapping it with your foot, I don't know what you're accomplishing. When it touches the ground it can be thought of as "fully deployed." :)

You push the centerstand down until it touches, then rock the bike away until you feel the other foot touch. That step is why I actually placed the camera on the other side of the bike for that cut shot when I made the video, and then included that step from the straight-on shot that it finishes with.
Sorry, "double tap" was a 'figger' of speech. I was referring to when some folks have seemingly fully deployed the side stand only to find that it wasn't and when the bike takes up the slack in the trans, rolls forward and folds up the side stand in the process. I've read where some owners have filed down the stop a bit making the side stand deploy a bit farther forward. Me being lazy and being the OCD type, just do the "double tap" on the side stand, making sure it's full forward. Good video on hoisting the girl up, you make it look easy even for us under 170 pilots. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, "double tap" was a 'figger' of speech. I was referring to when some folks have seemingly fully deployed the side stand only to find that it wasn't and when the bike takes up the slack in the trans, rolls forward and folds up the side stand in the process. I've read where some owners have filed down the stop a bit making the side stand deploy a bit farther forward. Me being lazy and being the OCD type, just do the "double tap" on the side stand, making sure it's full forward.
I do the same thing when I deploy my sidestand, just to be sure it's "down and locked". As for the centerstand, I had a helluva time getting the technique down for a while. I also probably still do it a bit wrong, as I don't use the built-in handle for lifting. Instead, I have the Givi steel rack in place and grab that when I do the lift. I know that's probably not the best idea either, perhaps stressing the rail in a way it wasn't meant to be stressed, but it works for me!

I weigh all of 175lbs and I carry a bunch of heavy crap in my bags. I have no problem getting it on the center stand. But, I feel more comfortable grabbing the passenger left side hand hold. It's just easier for me. :)

I had a ton of trouble getting my FJR on the centerstand for about 3 months. I'd try and fail, I'd get scared, I'd strain my back. Several times I just put a 1x6 under the rear wheel to help me get it up.

Then one day I walked up to the FJR, stood it up straight, and popped it up just like in the video.

I don't know exactly what I did different, but it's not a problem for me since then.

I also probably still do it a bit wrong, as I don't use the built-in handle for lifting. Instead, I have the Givi steel rack in place and grab that when I do the lift. I know that's probably not the best idea either, perhaps stressing the rail in a way it wasn't meant to be stressed, but it works for me!

I weigh all of 175lbs and I carry a bunch of heavy crap in my bags. I have no problem getting it on the center stand. But, I feel more comfortable grabbing the passenger left side hand hold. It's just easier for me. :)

Both of you peckerheads are gonna find your rear subframes cracked one day.

You know the problems related here by guys who've put 30 or 40 pounds of stuff in their top cases, overstressing the subframe and cracking it? And you want to lift a 650+ pound bike from that point?

I also probably still do it a bit wrong, as I don't use the built-in handle for lifting. Instead, I have the Givi steel rack in place and grab that when I do the lift. I know that's probably not the best idea either, perhaps stressing the rail in a way it wasn't meant to be stressed, but it works for me!

Both of you peckerheads are gonna find your rear subframes cracked one day.

You know the problems related here by guys who've put 30 or 40 pounds of stuff in their top cases, overstressing the subframe and cracking it? And you want to lift a 650+ pound bike from that point?
Oops! Never thought of that. Won't do that anymore! :)

Checked my Subframe and all is Good! :rolleyes:

And yea, I have both pegs on the ground, no problems 'getting it up'. - is it going up? Yes. But it's going *backwards*! while pushing and lifting.

boner.gif

Welcome to a classic...You are not officially a FJR rider until you do this.

Remember, its not the lift, it is making sure both legs of the center stand touch down, then stomping on the center-stand to lift. The handle is just a stabilizer.
Exactly how I do it.

To learn how to get it off the stand, simply play the video backwards :D

Personally, I always sit on the bike and rock it forward.

Al
Hate to disagree BUT it is "the Lift" Ever tried to put a KZ1300 on the center stand??? Stomp all you want, if you do not lift you will leave your balls on the pavement. The "trick" as I see it is to lift the bike straight up while pushing down on the stand. I think where most people screw up is to try to rock the bike back which doesn't work with a heavy bike. When you lift up the mechanical forces basically make the bike go back & up onto the center stand. JMTCW
OK, you're right - I went out and tried it.

I guess all these years I've been 'subconsciously lifting', thinking it was my herculean leg muscles doing it. :D

Al

It's not lifting. The handle locks your body into a place from which you can press down on the centerstand pedal, using about 4-to-1 leverage to lift the bike. Look at the video again (damn, now I wish I'd signed up for ad revenue!) and notice that my upper body does not move relative to the bike, and as the bike moves up and back, I am moving up and back with it. Also note that my other foot comes off the ground, forcing ALL of my leverage (not weight, but leverage from the handle) onto the pedal. I'm not lifting anything, but I'm making the distance from the handle (unmoving) to the pedal (moving through an arc) longer.

It's not lifting. The handle locks your body into a place from which you can press down on the centerstand pedal, using about 4-to-1 leverage to lift the bike. Look at the video again (damn, now I wish I'd signed up for ad revenue!) and notice that my upper body does not move relative to the bike, and as the bike moves up and back, I am moving up and back with it. Also note that my other foot comes off the ground, forcing ALL of my leverage (not weight, but leverage from the handle) onto the pedal. I'm not lifting anything, but I'm making the distance from the handle (unmoving) to the pedal (moving through an arc) longer.
Have to agree entirely.

I'm a 140 pound weakling, I have little trouble getting it up. The bike, that is.

I do need level ground, then it's more a matter of confidence that the bike isn't going to fall away. As Wfooshee shows clearly in his video, my left foot comes off the ground, putting all of my weight on the right foot (hence the need for a solidly soled boot, otherwise it hurts), then I do a little bounce on my right foot. Too much "bounce" and the bike will fly backwards. Yes, I'm pulling up with my right hand, but only enough to keep everything steady. It's more to keep me from falling off my perch than to lift the bike.

And I tend not to do the little left foot wave that he does in case anyone's watching
huh.gif
. (Ok, I know, you were exaggerating to show the point, but it does look pretty
tongue.gif
.)

Getting it off the stand I also find needs a bit of a knack. There's no way I can sit on the bike and rock it off, my legs are too short, I can't get the leverage. Nor am I heavy/strong enough to simply push it forward.

I stand beside the bike, hands on the bars, side stand down (but making sure it doesn't get knocked back before putting weight on it), left foot beside the side stand, right behind and nearer the bike. I turn the bars slightly away from me, this ensures that as the bike comes off and rolls forward a bit, it will tend to lean towards me not away from me.

Now I rock forward, again "bouncing" my weight through my arms. It may take me a couple of rocks, I build it up so that it just goes over-centre, then it comes down fairly slowly. I'm ready to walk forward, and can easily use my right foot to ensure the side stand is in place. Normally it's not moving quickly enough to need the brake, I can stop it just by pulling back a little, this keeps it most stable, but my hand one finger is covering the brake lever in case it is needed. But only gently, an abrupt stop may unsettle the balance.

Check the side stand and lean the bike onto it.

And I tend not to do the little left foot wave that he does in case anyone's watching
huh.gif
. (Ok, I know, you were exaggerating to show the point, but it does look pretty
tongue.gif
.)
That's just to show how FABULOUS it feels to raise it up!!!

I guess the problem has been for me that I've been more trying to push the foot pedal down rather than backwards. That's the real key. What wfooshee said about the handle and body placement was what tipped me off about . I thought the handle was useless cuz no way I could stand on the lever and use that handle at the same time. I messed around with it and grabbed the handle naturally and I was way in front of the lever. From there You can only push back on the lever, not down really. Much easier that way. I can stand on the lever and nothing will happen without me pulling up on the back of the bike. Granted that will work, but clearly isn't how it was designed.

Everything else, visualizing how the bike is moving and all that is moot if you are standing in the wrong place, which is too far back. Thanks wfooshee for the tip!

Hey, has anyone mentioned yet that you have to have both feet of the center stand on the ground first? :lol2:

One thing that I have put on the grip handle is rubberized non skid tape that is use on boats for the steps, I put a section of tape around and under the handle.

Hey, has anyone mentioned yet that you have to have both feet of the center stand on the ground first? :lol2:
Maybe you do BUT I often have just the left foot down when putting on center stand & just ease it to both feet when up.

Seems that it is easier, ie. more leverage for me, to gain a mechanical advantage with the bike closer to my body.

Of course I am an old man(63), have only been operating MC's for over 50 yrs. and only weigh 250#. Oh, I also am

not real bright and don't anal-ize stuff, just do what works best for me.

A real man puts the Feejeer on the centerstand barefoot.... B)

My KTM Supermoto is like a feather going up on it's c stand.

Wow if anyone is still reading this far down the topic I don't know what else to tell you...

But since we Re on the topic has anyone ever had the bike get 'stuck' on the center stand? Twice I have put it up and it felt like it hyperextended and then it became nearly impossible to get it down. Sitting on the bike and aggressively rocking it wouldn't do it and instead the whole bike slide across the garage floor with each attempt. Once I had a neighbor stand on the center stand peg so it wouldn't slide and we both rocked it and another time I put a secured a board in front of the stand legs.

Now I am more careful in how far I lifting onto the stand. Of course being on asphalt would slide less than the garage floor.

Stuck on the center stand? Never heard of that before. Maybe you should disassemble and replace/lube the worn pivot parts in there.