Setting Bike On center stand

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't done it with the FJR, but putting a bike on the centerstand pointed up hill...well, sure it was easy getting it ON the centerstand. Hrm...now to push it off....

Wow if anyone is still reading this far down the topic I don't know what else to tell you...

But since we Re on the topic has anyone ever had the bike get 'stuck' on the center stand? Twice I have put it up and it felt like it hyperextended and then it became nearly impossible to get it down. Sitting on the bike and aggressively rocking it wouldn't do it and instead the whole bike slide across the garage floor with each attempt. Once I had a neighbor stand on the center stand peg so it wouldn't slide and we both rocked it and another time I put a secured a board in front of the stand legs.

Now I am more careful in how far I lifting onto the stand. Of course being on asphalt would slide less than the garage floor.
Maybe your center stand is bent letting the bike go too far back. I have a fairly slick smooth garage floor and have never had it not rock off the center stand or slide at all.

But since we Re on the topic has anyone ever had the bike get 'stuck' on the center stand?
In over 30 years of putting bikes on center stands, I've never had a problem getting them up (as long as you don't count the one time 10 years ago my wet foot slipped off the tang and the bike leaned too far away from me and crashed into my workbench :angry: ). But I have experienced the centerstand sliding across a slick garage floor when trying to get the bike off the stand. I virtually always sit on a bike and rock it forward until it comes off the stand and occasionally have had bike just slide forward on the stand. A more vigorous forward rock has always done the job.

So I don't think there's anything wrong with your bike. Maybe we're just odd? :p :crazy:

That would be helpful. I gave up using the center stand after dropping the bike twice while trying to get it off the stand. At 175# and 72" I didn't think it would be a problem but I'm doing something wrong. Makes me feel almost as useless as it did the first time I tried to put it up on the stand and went past vertical to drop on the right side. That was my first try and I had a helper on the right side of the bike for the next half-dozen practice lifts.

I take it down while standing on the left side. I make sure it's in first so it won't roll away when it comes down. I have the sidestand down before I pull the bike forward, and I use the passenger grab handle to pull it forward, not the underneath lift handle. If you try to bring it down with that handle, you'll be lifting the left side, and yeah, it could go over on you.

It rocks forward, drops onto the rear wheel and stops against the drivetrain, and I just lean it towards myself to set it on the sidestand.

Last edited by a moderator:
A real man puts the Feejeer on the centerstand barefoot.... B)
I'll try to post a video of that tomorrow if I can get the video to work. I do that all the time when I move my FJR around the garage. The way I usually put it on the centerstand is sitting on the bike, that way there is no fear of it tipping over.

Grady

Here you go. Putting my FJR up on the centerstand barefoot from the side and then from the saddle.

Wait...half the plastics are missing. Does that thing even have a gas tank? I know mine was super easy to put up when I removed my tank. Regardless, impressive doing it from on the bike. My short stumpy little legs render that dang near impossible!

Oh but you are so wrong Dougie ;)

If you want to be a real man you do like I do, and let your balls drop outa yer pants wife's purse to hit the stand and lift this lightweight.

:****:
I stand next to the bike and lift it onto the center stand with my tongue.

No, no, wait. I just glare at it and it stands upright all by itself till I come back. Yeh, that's it.

Here you go. Putting my FJR up on the centerstand barefoot from the side and then from the saddle.

Yes, the two lower fairings are off so I could put on the new radiator tonight. Just going to ride it and make sure nothing is leaking tomorrow. The tank is still on and the tank bag is on there also. It also has an extra fuel tank on the back for a bit more weight.

Grady

Just messing wit ya!

But...it is a svelte 03, right? Let's see you do that with a portly Gen II! :yahoo: