setting up body panels for maximum heat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harlonbrando

Reaction score
I will be leaving from Jax., Fl. sat. evening about 6 pm 11-17-07, heading to Murphy N.C. arriving about 2 am sunday morning. I will be experiencing temps ranging from about 60 degrees down to about 30 degrees. I want to set my adjustable body panels, 2007 fjr, to direct maximum heat unto the rider. All panels are as delivered stock in closed position. Does opening any of the panels help to warm the rider or should they remain closed? Thanks, Don.

Dude...this has been a much debated topic since they first came out. There have been numerous scientific, un-scientific, and butt-meter tests to confirm which position is which. Then there is the official Yamaha explanation, which I still don't quite understand.

Start with this thread and read away............https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=10714&hl=

I could have sworn that after riding in the 100+ temps in Bama, opening the "vents" made it cooler. I now have them closed for the winter.. Like others say, it's a never ending debate.. :blink:

Having experimented with the cowls on my cold morning rides, I can tell you that having them open is warmer for your legs. I've already had a few mornings below freezing and my legs are noticeably warmer with them OPEN (I also tried leaving them closed for comparison).

Having experimented with the cowls on my cold morning rides, I can tell you that having them open is warmer for your legs. I've already had a few mornings below freezing and my legs are noticeably warmer with them OPEN (I also tried leaving them closed for comparison).
I'll have to agree! I've commuted on mornings when my temp gage indicated 19 degF.

OPEN louvers at least help to keep the cold slipstream away from your legs.

BTW, heated grips will keep you alot warmer than the louvers in either position!

Last edited by a moderator:
About the only thing I can say for sure about these panels is this. When it's so stinking hot and no matter what you do in order to try and get cool, nothing works. I know opening the side panels will indeed make you hotter than you were if they were kept closed, so during the summer they stay closed. When it gets cold out I figured if I were to open them I might get some warm air, I believe this is wishful thinking. I don't know about anyone else, that supposed warm air seems to be in short supply when it's cold and the bike is running 70mph, as a matter of fact I think it's non-existent.

I have come to the conclusion when you want warm air there is none to be had, and when you want to get rid of too much heat during the summer there seems to be this abundant supply of hot air that you can't get rid of no matter what you try. It's for this reason I'm getting off of this subject, these vents just seem to be nothing but a bunch of hot air! (except durnig the colder months)

Open only one side, and see which leg is warmer. Then let us know. Phil
Phill, I got back from my trip, had a great time, rode in temps from 34 degrees to 56 degrees including rain. I tried panels in open and closed positions and the only difference I could feel was with the panels open, out, it deflected more wind off my legs. This felt warmer in the colder temps to me because the wind wasn't hitting my legs. I didn't feel any difference in the heat from the engine. Don.

Well, your personal experience outweighs anything else on this subject - but just for grins I'll add mine. Having participated in the survey on this subject earlier this month and subsequent dialogue, I have reached the following "conclusion". Opening the side vents does make the rider "warmer" by deflecting more air away from the top of the legs. It is not significant, but it helps. I didn't really feel the difference that much until one day the temp went from around 35 to 65. At 65 I could definitely feel warm air blowing up - not much but more than if the vents are closed. I also notice that if I put the windshield in the full up position with the vents open there is a definite warming in the cockpit. First because a lot more cold air is being deflected by the windshield, and second because putting the windshield/windscreen up drafts warm air into the cockpit area. So if the windchill factor gets below 45 or so the combination of windscreen up and vents open seem to make the rider a lot more comfortable.

I have come to the conclusion when you want warm air there is none to be had, and when you want to get rid of too much heat during the summer there seems to be this abundant supply of hot air that you can't get rid of no matter what you try. It's for this reason I'm getting off of this subject, these vents just seem to be nothing but a bunch of hot air! (except durnig the colder months)

Well said.

Now we have the question of which year bike everyone has. '06s and '07s had a "fix" for the heat, thus it follows, IMHO, that there will be less heat to access. Where as the earlier models had more heat to direct into the vents.

I just wear warm clothes that stop the air. It was 20 degrees Sunday, in Albuquerque, (yah, we get cold weather because we are over 5000 feet) and all but my hands were warm.

However, on the '07s the heat seems to be deflected to the feet (which in cold weather is great).

I'll have to agree! I've commuted on mornings when my temp gage indicated 19 degF.

OPEN louvers at least help to keep the cold slipstream away from your legs.

BTW, heated grips will keep you alot warmer than the louvers in either position!
+1

Open only one side, and see which leg is warmer. Then let us know. Phil
Phill, I got back from my trip, had a great time, rode in temps from 34 degrees to 56 degrees including rain. I tried panels in open and closed positions and the only difference I could feel was with the panels open, out, it deflected more wind off my legs. This felt warmer in the colder temps to me because the wind wasn't hitting my legs. I didn't feel any difference in the heat from the engine. Don.
Thanks for coming back to us with the results! Phil